British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   BundyMum update (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bundymum-update-259152/)

bundy Oct 9th 2004 8:09 pm

BundyMum update

Well, here I am in Jersey yet again.....

My mum actually looks a lot better than I had feared. She's just started eating again and is consuming quantities of some vile looking drink that contains 1300 calories per glass :eek: . As one who has been on the chubby side for years, she keeps proclaiming that she never thought she'd see the day when she actually needed fattening up! She's on a new cocktail of drugs which seem to be working and she's not looking too bad. Just made her watercress soup (fat and diary free :) )

My dad's wobbling - tears at the airport as expected, but he's calming down now I'm here.

I've got a day of ironing tomorrow and then will be pestering the hospice, GP and oncology department on Monday until I get someone to do something about the pain my mum is in. Wheeling out the family stubborn streak again....

Anyway, thanks for all your thoughts and words and PMs - all greatly appreciated as ever. BundyMum says hello to you all.

teach Oct 9th 2004 8:25 pm

Re: BundyMum update

Originally Posted by bundy

My mum actually looks a lot better than I had feared. She's just started eating again and is consuming quantities of some vile looking drink that contains 1300 calories per glass :eek: . As one who has been on the chubby side for years, she keeps proclaiming that she never thought she'd see the day when she actually needed fattening up! She's on a new cocktail of drugs which seem to be working and she's not looking too bad. Just made her watercress soup (fat and diary free :) )

My dad's wobbling - tears at the airport as expected, but he's calming down now I'm here.

I've got a day of ironing tomorrow and then will be pestering the hospice, GP and oncology department on Monday until I get someone to do something about the pain my mum is in. Wheeling out the family stubborn streak again....

Anyway, thanks for all your thoughts and words and PMs - all greatly appreciated as ever. BundyMum says hello to you all.

Bundy mum fights back again. Good on you Bundy Mum, xxx
Bundy get your mum some of the Gillian McKeith Living Food super powder, can be found here http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk
I have just ordered some as it's supposed to be fantastic and contains blue green algae which she says is a superfood. If you get a chance check out page 202 of her book 'You are what you eat'. If you can view a copy PM me and I'll type it for you.
Love and hugs to you both.
Sarah

tonyk38 Oct 9th 2004 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by teach
Bundy mum fights back again. Good on you Bundy Mum, xxx
Bundy get your mum some of the Gillian McKeith Living Food super powder, can be found here http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk
I have just ordered some as it's supposed to be fantastic and contains blue green algae which she says is a superfood. If you get a chance check out page 202 of her book 'You are what you eat'. If you can view a copy PM me and I'll type it for you.
Love and hugs to you both.
Sarah

Very best of luck there Bundy. I wish you and your parents well. :)

Phoenixuk2oz Oct 10th 2004 1:06 am

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Very best of luck there Bundy. I wish you and your parents well. :)

I'll second that .......good luck and and hope all goes well ;)

Pollyana Oct 10th 2004 1:08 am

Good luck Bundy - give your mum a hug, and don't neglect yourself this time! Let us know how you get on with the boffins, they must be able to do something for the pain.

Bob Oct 10th 2004 1:26 am

Aye, best wishes to everyone, glad things are looking up :)

Take care,

R.B

Simone Oct 10th 2004 3:28 am

PHew! Glad she's eating etc!!

Good luck with the ironing and then the doctors on Monday!!!!!!!!!!

best wishes to you all.

Look after yourself!!

xoxoxoxox

Simone

anya4oz Oct 10th 2004 4:27 am

Glad you made it back OK Bundy, & that your Mom is looking better. Bet she's really pleased to see you, too - and that watercress soup sounds great!

Keep up the good work with perstering the medics about her treatment - it does seem those whose relatives shout the loudest get the best/fastest treatment, so go for it....

Cheers,
Anya.

bex 66 Oct 10th 2004 7:42 am

Hi Bundy,

Really pleased your mum is looking better,
I agree, those that shout the loudest get noticed far quicker and more effectively than those that don't.
I really don't believe there is any need for anyone to be in pain in this day and age, it may take a day or two to fine tune the medication, but you will definately get there.
Don't worry about upsetting anyone, just shout until your mum is painfree.
Love to you and your family

bex66 :)

shecha Oct 10th 2004 11:01 am

Hi Bundy,
So glad to see your mums eating and feels a bit better. I wish you all the best with the hospice/GP and Oncology Dept.
Your poor dad as well - bless him and bless you! Don't forget to take care of yourself as well!!!
Thinking of you.
Shell

harveyhare Oct 10th 2004 12:14 pm

Ask all those involved in your mums care to provide you with a copy of her care plan for pain control,
Question who is responsible for evaluating her careplan and assessing her needs, Ask why it has not worked and why?
This should get them thinking!!

I spent many years teaching the care planning process to private homes and the biggest downfall is no one takes responsibility for reassessing and evaluating care.

Hope all works out well, love to your Mum :)
Di

bundy Oct 10th 2004 4:19 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all the useful information and advice, as well as the continued support.

I'll be asking the GP some tough questions as soon as he gets to work tomorrow and aim to have my mum booked in for an x-ray at the very least, if not another bone scan.

Just made the old Jewish Penicillin (chicken soup) as promised and BundyMum had two bowls, to something must be working! I've been juicing like crazy because my dad has been letting that slide a bit so took her up honeydew melon and spirulina for brekkie.

Thanks for the link Sarah - I've looked it up, very useful. Spirulina is algae but my mum doesn't much like the taste so I aim for little and often to disguise it.

I've also ordered her a whole load of stuff from Neal's Yard to cheer her up.

She's even venturing out on a drive around with my dad this afternoon. taking her to acupuncture tomorrow, the chiropractor on Wednesday and the dentist on Thursday (she cracked a tooth today - and no, it wasn't on my cooking!)

So, things are looking up a little. Had a long, long chat with her about the plans to go to Oz.....sum total of it is that I don't think we can go quite yet. My parents would never tell me to stay, but looking at the practicalities of it I'd be leaving my parents in a really tight spot if I loped off to the other side of the world. So some thinking to be done there, when my brain can cope with it. Hmmm.

madsad Oct 10th 2004 4:25 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all the useful information and advice, as well as the continued support.

I'll be asking the GP some tough questions as soon as he gets to work tomorrow and aim to have my mum booked in for an x-ray at the very least, if not another bone scan.

Just made the old Jewish Penicillin (chicken soup) as promised and BundyMum had two bowls, to something must be working! I've been juicing like crazy because my dad has been letting that slide a bit so took her up honeydew melon and spirulina for brekkie.

Thanks for the link Sarah - I've looked it up, very useful. Spirulina is algae but my mum doesn't much like the taste so I aim for little and often to disguise it.

I've also ordered her a whole load of stuff from Neal's Yard to cheer her up.

She's even venturing out on a drive around with my dad this afternoon. taking her to acupuncture tomorrow, the chiropractor on Wednesday and the dentist on Thursday (she cracked a tooth today - and no, it wasn't on my cooking!)

So, things are looking up a little. Had a long, long chat with her about the plans to go to Oz.....sum total of it is that I don't think we can go quite yet. My parents would never tell me to stay, but looking at the practicalities of it I'd be leaving my parents in a really tight spot if I loped off to the other side of the world. So some thinking to be done there, when my brain can cope with it. Hmmm.

Bundy, i hope you & your mum are doing well, keep your chin up.

The Madsads.

moneypenny20 Oct 10th 2004 5:56 pm

All the best Bundy.

Glad your mum is picking up. If Aus is not to be just yet, it will happen and when it does, things will just slot in to place.

I think I'm with your mum about the algae - foul stuff however it's disguised. I know its good for you, but.....

Springo Oct 10th 2004 7:20 pm

Bundy

I bet your mum and dad are so pleased you are with them for a little while, Your dad will gain strength from your visit, it will give him a chance to sit back and renew his strength.

Take Care of yourself and your mum and dad.

Julia

DIMO8 Oct 10th 2004 7:28 pm

What good news Bundy ( what happened to the Jewish Chicken Soup)
Give all our thought and wishes to BundyMum and Bundydad.
Take care B, and remember to look after yourself too!

diddy Oct 10th 2004 7:37 pm

Hi Bundy,

I've been keeping up with your posts for a while, but just wanted to say Good Luck and my thoughts are with you all.

It's great to read that your Mum is eating more.

In response to your previous post, I'll have a pink shirt on for your Mum on the 29th.

All the best,

Paul.

bundy Oct 15th 2004 6:13 am

Hi everyone,

Well, I'm back home (and back at work) having left Jersey yesterday.

BundyMum is doing better than when I arrived - she's eating normally now. But she's lost a load of weight and isn't looking as well as she did back in the summer. She has an x-ray next week and an appointment with the consultant the week after, so we shall see. My dad is very wobbly and it was almost harder leaving him than my mum.

Australia is on hold indefinitely because we've all discussed it and there is no way I can leave with my parents in the state they are in, as much for my sake as theirs. The wedding is also on hold because there's not enough space in my head for arranging that on top of everything else. So we're a bit stuck. Mr B and I are *celebrating* our fifth anniversary of getting together today, but there's not a whole heap of celebrating going on at the moment because everyone's a bit glum.

mlbonner Oct 15th 2004 6:21 am

Well I hope you find time to have a celebratory shandy or two :beer:

Have been wondering how you were going over there. Really do hope everything works out for you and your family. I'm sure you're doing the right thing by staying there for now, the decision can't be an easy one for you.... poor mail man when the time comes to courier ALL your evidence though.

Thinking of you.

Pollyana Oct 15th 2004 6:29 am

Bundy, many many hugs my friend. Hard though it is, I'm sure you are making the right decision; I'm equally sure that you and Mr B will get to Oz eventually.
Try and mark your 5th anniversary somehow - its quite a milestone :)
We will raise our glasses to you both, and to your parents, later tonight.
Lots of love
Poll
xx

lindseyden Oct 15th 2004 6:36 am

Bundy, I too will be having a drink tonight and thinking of you and your family.

Lindsey

anya4oz Oct 15th 2004 6:44 am

Hi Bundy,

Sorry to hear both parents are feeling grim: but they've had a tough time which takes an emotional toll, too. However, they both sound like strong and determined people, so fingers crossed that they'll both be on the mend soon. Just think of the day in the future when they'll both be well enough to fly out to Oz and see you & MrBundy & all the little Bundies......! ('OH YIKES!' says Bundy, 'NOT anklebiters!')

Congrats to you & MrBundy on the 5 years. I'm sure both your parents would be very disappointed if you didn't at least have a bottle of decent wine & a takeaway, so, as the Forum Resident Yiddisher Momma (was very impressed by that chicken soup btw!), and I'm sure with the backing of BundyMom & BundyDad, can I insist that you both have *some* sort of celebratory evening? - whatever works for you.

Take care, and hugs to all,
Anya.

DIMO8 Oct 15th 2004 6:59 am

Hi everyone,

Well, I'm back home (and back at work) having left Jersey yesterday.

BundyMum is doing better than when I arrived - she's eating normally now. But she's lost a load of weight and isn't looking as well as she did back in the summer. She has an x-ray next week and an appointment with the consultant the week after, so we shall see. My dad is very wobbly and it was almost harder leaving him than my mum.

Australia is on hold indefinitely because we've all discussed it and there is no way I can leave with my parents in the state they are in, as much for my sake as theirs. The wedding is also on hold because there's not enough space in my head for arranging that on top of everything else. So we're a bit stuck. Mr B and I are *celebrating* our fifth anniversary of getting together today, but there's not a whole heap of celebrating going on at the moment because everyone's a bit glum.

Hi Bundy

Just a quick visit before the school run.......glad your back to let us know how things are, as you had not posted for a few days......so we were getting worried!
Glad Bundy Mum is feeling better, it's definetley the soup then!!!
You have had a lot of decisions to make while you have been with your parents and i honestly believe that you wont regret them... i would do exactly the same, i could'nt leave them with their ill health and not to be there for them. As for the wedding, well you are only young......so there's plenty of time for that ( happy 5 years together) and when you do decide to get hitched you will be in a better frame of mind and enjoy it alot more.
Hope you start to feel a little brighter soon.
Take care B :o

bundy Oct 15th 2004 7:41 am

Thanks you two....

We've been working hard on our dream of going back to Australia for much of the last 5 years and it's incredibly hard letting go of that. All our decisions - jobs, where we live, how we live, what we do - have revolved around getting back to Oz so without it, we're a bit lost. Coupled with the fact that Mr B is, for the first time, truly homesick and we're in a tricky spot. We've been over here 4 years now so it's no wonder Mr B is wanting to head back, but now there is no way we can go.

In some ways it's an easy decision to make because I don't want to be on the other side of the planet with my mum this ill, but the implications of suddenly taking away all we'd had planned are a little scary, to say the least.

yvsie Oct 15th 2004 7:48 am

bundy....
just to say..thinking of you in the what must be a very difficult time for you....karma on its way chuck! :D

chin up :p

Al H Oct 15th 2004 8:37 am

Thanks you two....

We've been working hard on our dream of going back to Australia for much of the last 5 years and it's incredibly hard letting go of that. All our decisions - jobs, where we live, how we live, what we do - have revolved around getting back to Oz so without it, we're a bit lost. Coupled with the fact that Mr B is, for the first time, truly homesick and we're in a tricky spot. We've been over here 4 years now so it's no wonder Mr B is wanting to head back, but now there is no way we can go.

In some ways it's an easy decision to make because I don't want to be on the other side of the planet with my mum this ill, but the implications of suddenly taking away all we'd had planned are a little scary, to say the least.

Hi Bundy

Glad to hear that BundyMum is picking up a bit. Keep feeding her the soup and anything else she wants!

You will get to Oz with Mr B - it will have to wait a bit for now. You should give yourselves something to celebrate your 5 years with Mr B. Before my brother went out to Oz with his missus she got pretty homesick (she is an Aussie), but they did loads of trips from here that they wouldn't be able to do easily once they were in Oz, like a trip to Tallinn, one to New York etc. Make sure that you and Mr B have something to look forward to, otherwise a glum Bundy won't be as much help to BundyMum

So have a drink for your first five years :beer: and then think of something you would really like to do together before you go and give it a whirl.

Keep smiling - there are lots of folks thinking of you and your family

Alastair

Cheeky Oct 15th 2004 8:47 am

Hi Bundy,

Glad your mum is feeling better.
I think you are doing the right thing by putting Oz on hold, I would do exactly the same.

I think a little of what you 'fancy' (:beer: of course) should be in order to celebrate you and Mr B 5 yrs together!

Thinking of you all, take care,
Cheeky :)

JayDeee Oct 15th 2004 9:08 am

Thanks you two....

Hi Bundy, I'm glad that things seem to be a bit better with your mum hopefully some of this will rub off onto your dad.

Just dont forget to look after Yourself aswell, we can't have 3 sick Bundy's now can we.

JayDeee xx

moneypenny20 Oct 15th 2004 11:29 am

Bundy, so sorry. Am really pleased that Bundymum is picking up, hope the tests show all ok.

Celebrate the five years and at least the visa will be a piece of cake when you eventually go for it - you will probably bore DIMIA rigid will all your info :D

Can't you and Mr B take a trip somewhere nice, and "try" and switch off from everything for a few days. Remember you love each other and are together for the long haul.

Can't send you karma because I haven't spread it around enough - thought I was, don't know how much I need to spread :confused:

bundy Oct 15th 2004 11:51 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Bundy, so sorry. Am really pleased that Bundymum is picking up, hope the tests show all ok.

Celebrate the five years and at least the visa will be a piece of cake when you eventually go for it - you will probably bore DIMIA rigid will all your info :D

Can't you and Mr B take a trip somewhere nice, and "try" and switch off from everything for a few days. Remember you love each other and are together for the long haul.

Can't send you karma because I haven't spread it around enough - thought I was, don't know how much I need to spread :confused:

LOL! Frustrating, this karma business.

The trouble with Mr B and I going away anywhere is that my boss has stopped giving me compassionate leave (she is the world's least compassionate person) so this last trip and all future trips will come out of my annual leave. So I can't really take much time off to do anything else. We might try a long weekend though.

Pollyana Oct 15th 2004 3:16 pm

Bundy - it doesn't matter where you are, as long as you are together - I'm sure you probably know that anyway! :)

Bob Oct 15th 2004 7:14 pm

Happy fifth, even if you don't feel it, sorry to hear your folks are feeling glum, hope all goes well.

Gave you some karma to try cheer you up :)
Take care,

R.B

Springo Oct 15th 2004 9:25 pm

Hi Bundy

Happy 5th Anniversary

Hope your mums Tests come through ok

Sorry to hear your Oz plans have been put on hold, but you know yourself whats best for you and your family.

Take Care

Julia

anya4oz Oct 15th 2004 9:36 pm

LOL! Frustrating, this karma business.

The trouble with Mr B and I going away anywhere is that my boss has stopped giving me compassionate leave (she is the world's least compassionate person) so this last trip and all future trips will come out of my annual leave. So I can't really take much time off to do anything else. We might try a long weekend though.

We used to drive up to the North Norfolk coast in the winter & walk along one of those lovely cold, expansive, empty windy beaches to get rid of our stress. Always worked. Need to wear warm clothes, though :)

Not too long a drive from Cambridge (so you can easily do it as a day trip). Plenty of nice places to eat & decent beer in the pubs up there, too.

Hope you manage some kind of break, anyway - it's vital for recharging the batteries.

Cheers,
Anya.

b.uk Oct 15th 2004 10:18 pm

[QUOTE=bundy]Hi everyone,

Hi, Bundy. As an ex-pats mum I don't contribute too much to this site but do read the site avidly. All the advice to "Look after yourself" is so important.
The pain control is something else...do bang on doors....sometimes it needs you youngsters to shout for us. I was very lucky indeed - I was helped tremendously by a good GP, great consultant and the fabulous Christie hospital in Manchester. I count my blessings and am thinking of you, mum and dad. Take care now.

sjn2003 Oct 16th 2004 12:51 am

Hey Bundy

Just picked up this thread after a few days away busy sorting out emigration stuff.

Hope BundyMum is pulling through and the rest of your family also.

Stay strong :)

Steve

bundy Oct 16th 2004 3:55 pm

Thanks guys,

We had a quiet anniversary - just cooked at home, but did the whole thing properly with candles etc, so it was a bit more special than normal. Mr B bought me one of those spa bath attachment things so that I can have my own little spa experience at home. Lovely.

Seeing my brothers tomorrow for a counsel of war regarding the parents and I've got my best friend coming over tonight to offer moral support and wine.

anya4oz Oct 16th 2004 11:24 pm

Thanks guys,

We had a quiet anniversary - just cooked at home, but did the whole thing properly with candles etc, so it was a bit more special than normal. Mr B bought me one of those spa bath attachment things so that I can have my own little spa experience at home. Lovely.

Seeing my brothers tomorrow for a counsel of war regarding the parents and I've got my best friend coming over tonight to offer moral support and wine.

Good on ya both! The spa bath sounds fab - try adding a few drops of lavender oil to it.

Just tried to give you more Karma, but alas the software wouldn't let me.

Hope your talk with your brothers goes well, also the evening with the supportive mate.

Cheers,
Anya.

Go Banana's !! Oct 17th 2004 10:46 am

Thinking of you, hope you had a nice time with your friend.

I suggest to make a wax doll of your boss and buggar the pins, melt it!!!!

Big hugs
Jill

Simone Oct 17th 2004 12:57 pm

Finally time to reply, but been thinking of you.
First of all, congratulations on the 5th anniversary! Glad you did do something!

Second of all, I was VERY VERY glad to read this:

Good luck with the job hunting you lot.....I'll expect the luck back when I start looking for a new job next year - I've promised myself that, whatever happens, I won't be doing another Summer Schools (5 is too many). I said that last year, of course, but this year I mean it. Handing my notice in sometime around Feb/Mar to leave in May/June.

on the CTC thread, because it's the only thing I wanted to say, in response to your plans being on hold.
Because I normally would've said things like: enjoy the UK while you can, enjoy being close to Europe, your family etc etc, but with the job you have, it was pointless saying that, sort of.

Now, all I can say is: can't you get away earlier? Well, if you find a job already soon, but I guess then you still have the 2 months or so notice.Oh, and of course it's the summer schools you want to avoid, the rest of the job is pretty good, except the boss.
Hmm, nevermind.

Yep, nothing else I can really think of to say, because I know, or maybe not, can't imagine, how confused/upset/frustrated you and Mr B probably are.
As you say, it's easy in the way that it's the only decision you could make, and Mr B doesn't have a choice, but I'm sure it's still confusing/frustrating etc.
So all I can say is thinking of all of you, and we're all here for you.

And time flys!(Pascal and I have nearly been married a year :eek: )

:)

Simone