Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Building Your Own Dream House in OZ!!

Building Your Own Dream House in OZ!!

Old Jul 24th 2005, 5:55 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Building Your Own Dream House in OZ!!

We would like to have a house built for us when when we get to Oz, just wondered if anyone else had been researching this and what they were finding out about it??

Or anyone that has arrived in Oz already (Lucky People) and have built or are building their own homes??

I found a great thread on her from someone in Brisban that said all about House building etc of course cant find it again now!! We looking to go to Adelaide so wondered if anyone had any info on Adelaide house building??
Old Jul 24th 2005, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Greg, Michele and Bella is a jewel in the roughGreg, Michele and Bella is a jewel in the roughGreg, Michele and Bella is a jewel in the roughGreg, Michele and Bella is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Building Your Own Dream House in OZ!!

Originally Posted by toon williams
We would like to have a house built for us when when we get to Oz, just wondered if anyone else had been researching this and what they were finding out about it??

Or anyone that has arrived in Oz already (Lucky People) and have built or are building their own homes??

I found a great thread on her from someone in Brisban that said all about House building etc of course cant find it again now!! We looking to go to Adelaide so wondered if anyone had any info on Adelaide house building??
Give this a go - http://www.homesteadsa.com.au/.

It is the South Australian branch of the company we are currently talking to in Queensland. We contacted them via the website before our last trip to Brisbane and they contacted us immediately and showed us around a couple of showhomes, went through what the process is etc. They were very helpful and gave us a good idea of prices, inclusions (or more important exclusions), timelines, payments etc.

Keeping it simple, involve the builder when buying your land which can be regarded as a completely separate transaction as they need to do soil tests etc which is something you don't get here. It is then about 2-3 months to finalise the spec you want - you will be told you can have what you want, just it will affect the final price, and then wait around 9 months for them to build it. A few things we learnt were, for example, that a tile roof is cheaper that colorbond (even though to a British eye it looks better), aircon is an extra as is all flooring and landscaping. We were told to budget circa $30k for all the regular extra you would probably want.

Having said all of that, it is still a damn site cheaper than here for a much bigger house!!!

Greg, Michele and Bella

Last edited by Greg, Michele and Bella; Jul 24th 2005 at 7:44 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 9:12 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greg, Michele and Bella
Give this a go - http://www.homesteadsa.com.au/.

It is the South Australian branch of the company we are currently talking to in Queensland. We contacted them via the website before our last trip to Brisbane and they contacted us immediately and showed us around a couple of showhomes, went through what the process is etc. They were very helpful and gave us a good idea of prices, inclusions (or more important exclusions), timelines, payments etc.

Keeping it simple, involve the builder when buying your land which can be regarded as a completely separate transaction as they need to do soil tests etc which is something you don't get here. It is then about 2-3 months to finalise the spec you want - you will be told you can have what you want, just it will affect the final price, and then wait around 9 months for them to build it. A few things we learnt were, for example, that a tile roof is cheaper that colorbond (even though to a British eye it looks better), aircon is an extra as is all flooring and landscaping. We were told to budget circa $30k for all the regular extra you would probably want.

Having said all of that, it is still a damn site cheaper than here for a much bigger house!!!

Greg, Michele and Bella
Sorry to butt in, but could you tell me the web address for the Queensland area please.
Thank you!
Julie
Old Jul 24th 2005, 10:05 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

We are thinking of using this company.

http://www.lego.com/eng/Default.aspx
Old Jul 24th 2005, 10:17 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
Sorry to butt in, but could you tell me the web address for the Queensland area please.
Thank you!
Julie
Use that link. Go down to bottom of page and click on the link for Queensland.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 11:44 pm
You'll learn............

Desperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Building Your Own Dream House in OZ!!

Originally Posted by toon williams

This may help. I posted this a while back as we are just at the end of our process:

You can build on any sound piece of land which is for sale. The best is level block, with no need for retaining walls which puts the groundwork's price up. Other factors to consider are, is power easily accessible? water? gas?. What is the land made from? What cost allocation does the builder allow for this ? If you have a good builder he will give enough allowance, but you can be stung, read on:

We had a great level sandy block (like most of WA LOL), but a member of our family thought they had the same. Unfortunately for them they had a limestone seam running under it and it put their groundwork's price up by $35K !!!!

Pick a builder that you have watched construct a house. The times can vary enormously from 9 months to 2 years plus. I watched three houses go up by our builder before we decided. try and pick someone who doesn't over stretch themselves, some of the ones here just leave you in a queue.

A big factor in the wait is how 'young' your land release is. We bought a block in an established area which had been sat on for investment. We didn't pay over the odds for it and it meant we had the title deeds almost immediately. Most new block don't have the titles released for months and I have just heard of one lady who has been waiting for 18 months !! So check it out, may be different in your State.

However with a new block you usually get fencing, reticulation and your front garden done if you are lucky. So it depends on what you want and what you are prepared to wait for. Of course how much money you have to spend and whether you have somewhere to live in the meantime is a big issue to consider.

I bought our block before Warren was even here, but before I signed anything I got two builders (who are family) to check out the block, I checked land plans for the previous use of the land and asked around. I even got the project builder to come out and see it, before I signed a thing.

It's not easy, but if you get yourself organised, ask as many questions as you can think of and don't sign anything until you know exactly what the price is, then it can be immense fun. However knowing what the price is can be the tricky part!!

With a good builder the Sales guy will draw up provisional plans and let you change them as many times as you like. If they ask for deposits before then, tell 'em to get stuffed. Our Sales guy was great and we have a very good relationship, even though I changed the plans 7 times.

I then asked for a list of all their suppliers for fixtures and fittings and went to check them out, some companies won't let you do this. It was invaluable !! because what their trick is, is to get you to the pre-start meeting and you end up choosing everything from a brochure or small sample. You then have no idea of the quality, the feel, the look and how light effects the colour scheme you have chosen.

When we were totally ready, then we signed. This however does not fix the price ! You can get some dodgy ones out there, read the contract, sideways, back to front, recite it backwards.

What ever the initial build cost is add an extra $50K at least - BUT don't guess at this, go round and get quotes (I'll explain that later). We have added $100K to the original price, but we knew this and we are having a pool and the garden landscaped and everything finished before we move in - hopefully !!!!

You should expect to pay extra for:
Power points (there is NEVER enough)
Outside power point
Skirting
Coving
Bricking up any open plan areas
Extra phone points (you'll need at least two remember for the Net !!)
Tiling - they charge extra for the way it's laid and if you have borders
Some decorating - walls may not be included
3 phase electrics (if you want a reverse cycle air con hot and cold)
Extra wiring for cinema stuff (if you want one of course)
Extra paving - usually only include your drive (not the crossover) and one path.
And any other extras like, plumbing to a fridge (ice maker), making rooms bigger, adding cupboards, the list goes on and on...........

And our builder has alot more than most included.

Now on top of that you must get yourself quotes for the following: (It's no good building the house of your dreams and you find your can't afford to put flooring in)

Carpets - bedrooms?
Flooring in living areas (wet areas should be included)
Light points (as power points)
Air con
Garden
Reticulation
Paving
Alarm
Lights (they leave you lovely plastic cones)
Fencing if not included.
Blinds a must
Curtains, optional
Security fly screens
Extra furniture - you'll need it believe me.

GET THREE QUOTES FOR EVERYTHING AND BARTER

Beware you can always be stung if contractors get a pay rise. Also keep an eye on what tradesmen are in demand. At the moment, it's pretty much everyone, but the problem areas in WA are brickies, roofers and tilers! the main ones really.

Having said all this we signed our contract and two weeks later our slab went down, 3 weeks after our bricks where delivered (I had pre-booked a slot) We had brickies on site a week later and apart from a 5 week delay 'cos our roofer broke his leg, we have been delighted with our build and are looking to be in end mid August. (9 month build)

I have an excellent relationship with our Site Manager and we speak daily. I don't pester him, we just a have an honest and professional manner of dealing with each other, and a little banter. They have been great as we are having a few extras which are not part of the build and they have been fine about letting them on site, some are not.

I hope this helps - I am now off to write my book !!

I have loved every minute of it, but I don't work and feel that has helped enormously. I wouldn't want to take it on if both of you are in full time work, you have to keep on the ball all the time.

Good luck

Jill
Old Jul 25th 2005, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

What an excellent post Jill. I am sure it will be very helpful to those who want to build.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 1:07 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Another point to remember is to check in the contract that your builder has included a "decent" amount of $$ per week if they run overtime.

My Mum built with Simonds homes and they were over 8 months overtime on the contract. Mum didnt check her contract until they did go over and all she was entitled to was $100 per week. That didnt even cover the storage costs of the furniture and her belongings.

From what I understand is you can negotiate and you will then get a good feeling for how likely they are to finish on time.

Also go with a builder who does allow you on site anytime you want. Some will not let you unless you prearrange a time.

Good luck

Hels
Old Jul 25th 2005, 2:20 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
We are thinking of using this company.

http://www.lego.com/eng/Default.aspx
Hehe. I live a 10 minute drive from a suburb known locally as Legoland (or here, its technically known as laygoland).

Only real point i would say, is DO NOT BUILD BRICK VENEER. Your house will be cold, rickety and will not last unless its built on the thickest pad imaginable.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Location: Gippsland, Victoria since April '05 and loving it! (ex-Belgium)
Libra76 will become famous soon enough

Only real point i would say, is DO NOT BUILD BRICK VENEER. Your house will be cold, rickety and will not last unless its built on the thickest pad imaginable.
What is brick veneer? What should one get instead? Sorry, I'm not familiar with these English terms (am Dutch speaking)

Thanks!
Els
Old Jul 25th 2005, 3:53 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Libra76
What is brick veneer? What should one get instead? Sorry, I'm not familiar with these English terms (am Dutch speaking)

Thanks!
Els
Its when you have a timber frame house, and bricks on the outside. With brick veneer the bricks do not actually do any structural work, they are simply there to stop the neighbors seeing in/chilly breezes.

If you are building i would say use solid brick or stone. I like weatherboard too, but it generally has the same problem as brick veneer (not insulated well enough).
Old Jul 25th 2005, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

Location: Gippsland, Victoria since April '05 and loving it! (ex-Belgium)
Libra76 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by PeteY
Its when you have a timber frame house, and bricks on the outside. With brick veneer the bricks do not actually do any structural work, they are simply there to stop the neighbors seeing in/chilly breezes.

If you are building i would say use solid brick or stone. I like weatherboard too, but it generally has the same problem as brick veneer (not insulated well enough).
Thanks

Most of the houses I see going up are what you described as brick veneer though? Is it that uncommon to have a house built of solid brick over here? It would be a lot more expensive then too I guess? My DH always comments on how all houses in Belgium are of solid brick/stone/concrete and how much better that is.

Cheers
Els
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:16 am
You'll learn............

Desperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of lightDesperate House Flies is a glorious beacon of light

Good point Hels.

We built into our contract, that if the builders went over the contracted time, then they paid all our storage and rental costs. This is not the norm, but if they wanted us to buy a house from them, this is what they were jolly well going to have to agree to .

Be careful of the small print as trades delays can be 'beyond their control'

Brick veneer doesn't seem to be that common in Perth. Almost all the houses I have seen being built appear to be brick, stone or brick then rendered. I remember one brick veneer, the real estate agent told me to avoid, as they are really hard to sell (obviously if the agent told me that while showing me round one LOL)

Good luck to all those at the beginning. It can be fun if you let it, honest

Jill
Old Jul 25th 2005, 9:50 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desperate House Flies
This may help. I posted this a while back as we are just at the end of our process:

You can build on any sound piece of land which is for sale. The best is level block, with no need for retaining walls which puts the groundwork's price up. Other factors to consider are, is power easily accessible? water? gas?. What is the land made from? What cost allocation does the builder allow for this ? If you have a good builder he will give enough allowance, but you can be stung, read on:

We had a great level sandy block (like most of WA LOL), but a member of our family thought they had the same. Unfortunately for them they had a limestone seam running under it and it put their groundwork's price up by $35K !!!!

Pick a builder that you have watched construct a house. The times can vary enormously from 9 months to 2 years plus. I watched three houses go up by our builder before we decided. try and pick someone who doesn't over stretch themselves, some of the ones here just leave you in a queue.

A big factor in the wait is how 'young' your land release is. We bought a block in an established area which had been sat on for investment. We didn't pay over the odds for it and it meant we had the title deeds almost immediately. Most new block don't have the titles released for months and I have just heard of one lady who has been waiting for 18 months !! So check it out, may be different in your State.

However with a new block you usually get fencing, reticulation and your front garden done if you are lucky. So it depends on what you want and what you are prepared to wait for. Of course how much money you have to spend and whether you have somewhere to live in the meantime is a big issue to consider.

I bought our block before Warren was even here, but before I signed anything I got two builders (who are family) to check out the block, I checked land plans for the previous use of the land and asked around. I even got the project builder to come out and see it, before I signed a thing.

It's not easy, but if you get yourself organised, ask as many questions as you can think of and don't sign anything until you know exactly what the price is, then it can be immense fun. However knowing what the price is can be the tricky part!!

With a good builder the Sales guy will draw up provisional plans and let you change them as many times as you like. If they ask for deposits before then, tell 'em to get stuffed. Our Sales guy was great and we have a very good relationship, even though I changed the plans 7 times.

I then asked for a list of all their suppliers for fixtures and fittings and went to check them out, some companies won't let you do this. It was invaluable !! because what their trick is, is to get you to the pre-start meeting and you end up choosing everything from a brochure or small sample. You then have no idea of the quality, the feel, the look and how light effects the colour scheme you have chosen.

When we were totally ready, then we signed. This however does not fix the price ! You can get some dodgy ones out there, read the contract, sideways, back to front, recite it backwards.

What ever the initial build cost is add an extra $50K at least - BUT don't guess at this, go round and get quotes (I'll explain that later). We have added $100K to the original price, but we knew this and we are having a pool and the garden landscaped and everything finished before we move in - hopefully !!!!

You should expect to pay extra for:
Power points (there is NEVER enough)
Outside power point
Skirting
Coving
Bricking up any open plan areas
Extra phone points (you'll need at least two remember for the Net !!)
Tiling - they charge extra for the way it's laid and if you have borders
Some decorating - walls may not be included
3 phase electrics (if you want a reverse cycle air con hot and cold)
Extra wiring for cinema stuff (if you want one of course)
Extra paving - usually only include your drive (not the crossover) and one path.
And any other extras like, plumbing to a fridge (ice maker), making rooms bigger, adding cupboards, the list goes on and on...........

And our builder has alot more than most included.

Now on top of that you must get yourself quotes for the following: (It's no good building the house of your dreams and you find your can't afford to put flooring in)

Carpets - bedrooms?
Flooring in living areas (wet areas should be included)
Light points (as power points)
Air con
Garden
Reticulation
Paving
Alarm
Lights (they leave you lovely plastic cones)
Fencing if not included.
Blinds a must
Curtains, optional
Security fly screens
Extra furniture - you'll need it believe me.

GET THREE QUOTES FOR EVERYTHING AND BARTER

Beware you can always be stung if contractors get a pay rise. Also keep an eye on what tradesmen are in demand. At the moment, it's pretty much everyone, but the problem areas in WA are brickies, roofers and tilers! the main ones really.

Having said all this we signed our contract and two weeks later our slab went down, 3 weeks after our bricks where delivered (I had pre-booked a slot) We had brickies on site a week later and apart from a 5 week delay 'cos our roofer broke his leg, we have been delighted with our build and are looking to be in end mid August. (9 month build)

I have an excellent relationship with our Site Manager and we speak daily. I don't pester him, we just a have an honest and professional manner of dealing with each other, and a little banter. They have been great as we are having a few extras which are not part of the build and they have been fine about letting them on site, some are not.

I hope this helps - I am now off to write my book !!

I have loved every minute of it, but I don't work and feel that has helped enormously. I wouldn't want to take it on if both of you are in full time work, you have to keep on the ball all the time.

Good luck

Jill

Thanks Jill that is very valuable information!! I can see how you could quite easily find yourself in a pickle, if you have never built your own house before!!

With that information it certainly ensures we will ask the right questions from the begining and hopefully not be caught out!!
Old Jul 25th 2005, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Greg, Michele and Bella is a jewel in the roughGreg, Michele and Bella is a jewel in the roughGreg, Michele and Bella is a jewel in the roughGreg, Michele and Bella is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
Thank you!
Julie
http://www.newstart.com.au/

If you want contact info for the builder we are talking to, just let me know