Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Building trade apprentices

Building trade apprentices

Old Nov 14th 2004, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all
Default Building trade apprentices

Hello everyone,

This maybe a difficult one to answer but here goes.In my current position in the UK i am a sub contractor who employs 2 apprentices through the CITB.The two lads that i have increase my wage quite alot.So with all the talk of people not earning the same as the UK i wondered what the situation was in Aus mainly Queensland was regarding trainees in the building industry.Has anyone employed apprentices and if so what was involved.

thanks very much dave
Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:30 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building trade apprentices

Originally Posted by chippy dave
Hello everyone,

This maybe a difficult one to answer but here goes.In my current position in the UK i am a sub contractor who employs 2 apprentices through the CITB.The two lads that i have increase my wage quite alot.So with all the talk of people not earning the same as the UK i wondered what the situation was in Aus mainly Queensland was regarding trainees in the building industry.Has anyone employed apprentices and if so what was involved.

thanks very much dave
Dave,
If you asked at the Skillscentre they couldn't give you a definitive answer and they are responsible for placing apprentices. I needed an apprentice or a labourer and enquired through the appropriate channels. All I got was confusion half truths and passed from pillar to post.
Officially as I'm a PR resident I don't qualify for any benefits etc. from Centrelink. As a result if I employ an apprentice I don't qualify for any of the subsidies available for the training and wages of the trainee. This came from the guys at skillcentre but from the Qbsa I'm told I can employ an apprentice and can get grants for their training [TAFE fees etc.]
There are so many Chiefs here and so few Indians it's like banging your head against the wall, everyone wants a piece of you and wants you to pay for that privilege. I gave up trying and Deb works with me now. We could do with another couple of tilers but it's a catch 22 situation we're too busy to deal with the hastle of having employees but could use the extra labour. Hopefuly thing will ease off a bit soon and we'll be able to have a rethink.
Old Nov 14th 2004, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

Thanks sean as i had suspected it looks like an awkward task hopefully one i could get round once i,m there.The thing is it,s more than likley i will want to take someone on but i,m not thinking about rushing it.I actually want some time on my own i,ve had apprentices for about 4 years now and although the moneys great sometimes they drive me round the bend.I noticed in your 12 months post about your problems getting your trade licence.Thats not the first time i,ve heard what a nightmare that can be.Nine months is a stupid amount of time to wait before you can work properly.Nearer the time for us to come i,ll have to do some digging and see what to do to hopefully speed things up.

thanks again dave
Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:11 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks sean as i had suspected it looks like an awkward task hopefully one i could get round once i,m there.The thing is it,s more than likley i will want to take someone on but i,m not thinking about rushing it.I actually want some time on my own i,ve had apprentices for about 4 years now and although the moneys great sometimes they drive me round the bend.I noticed in your 12 months post about your problems getting your trade licence.Thats not the first time i,ve heard what a nightmare that can be.Nine months is a stupid amount of time to wait before you can work properly.Nearer the time for us to come i,ll have to do some digging and see what to do to hopefully speed things up.

thanks again dave
Just need to stress that you can work without the licence you just can't be self employed. I wanted to have the flexibility of time off when relatives visit and wanted to work for myself again as I'd done in the U.K for a few years. Some blokes drop straight into a job no hastles and stay there, I wanted a bit more it took time.
Up here the licencing system is mis-understood by a lot of employers and they wouldn't take me on the books without the BSA licence I figured if I had to have it there was no point in slaving for someone else, may as well slave away for me.
Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sean as a subbie over here i work on price on new build housing sites so it gives me great incentive to get stuck in and earn more than i would on a day rate or cards in.Do house builders/carpentry contractors in Queensland allow lads to work on price in either cards in employment or as a subbie,or is this where the licence is needed.Also i have been sent a couple of newspapers from Brisbane and on looking at the job section there seems to be a huge demand for us chippies i think 1 week in september there were 35 jobs for carpenters.The problem with the paper was that it did,nt show any rates.so with the demand in mind do you know what sort of money carpenters earn as a day rate or on price.

any help would be great dave
Old Nov 14th 2004, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Sean as a subbie over here i work on price on new build housing sites so it gives me great incentive to get stuck in and earn more than i would on a day rate or cards in.Do house builders/carpentry contractors in Queensland allow lads to work on price in either cards in employment or as a subbie,or is this where the licence is needed.Also i have been sent a couple of newspapers from Brisbane and on looking at the job section there seems to be a huge demand for us chippies i think 1 week in september there were 35 jobs for carpenters.The problem with the paper was that it did,nt show any rates.so with the demand in mind do you know what sort of money carpenters earn as a day rate or on price.

any help would be great dave
Briefly, the builder (me) can only employ a subcontractor who has all the paperwork licence insurance etc, to employ him we need to do work statements, safety statements etc, but its up to him who he employs then to work on my job, hes the one who will carry the can for any defective work so usually who they employ is very important to them. Most of our subbies just roll from one job to the next we rarely need new ones.

Loads of carpernters jobs in paper agree, we pay $35 a sm plus gst thats right up to fix out . Hourly can be $25/30+ Thing is I want men who know how to frame to comply here, I dont need time wasted with blokes doing stuff the wrong way, there is so much red tape and compliance a chippie who knows that stuff will be kept on and those who dont last 5 minutes, think that has a lot of reason why some builders are constantly advertising theres plenty of chippies its the ones who know the laws/regs tho. Most of my blokes are ex builders who cant stand the nightmare laws anymore, they want the work know the regs and are happy to work for the right money.

With carpenters in particiular it not like a painter who will have the lic and bring along 8 blokes of varying qualifications, the chippies usually work in gangs of two both who have a licence so are equally liable for the work.

Last edited by jad n rich; Nov 14th 2004 at 9:08 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Briefly, the builder (me) can only employ a subcontractor who has all the paperwork licence insurance etc, to employ him we need to do work statements, safety statements etc, but its up to him who he employs then to work on my job, hes the one who will carry the can for any defective work so usually who they employ is very important to them. Most of our subbies just roll from one job to the next we rarely need new ones.

With carpenters in particiular it not like a painter who will have the lic and bring along 8 blokes of varying qualifications, the chippies usually work in gangs of two both who have a licence so are equally liable for the work.
Well said Rich that's just about what I was trying to say in my rushed morning post.
While any licensed tiler could have legally employed me most were reluctant to take the risk, firstly with a fresh blow in from the U.K, secondly with a bloke who had no experience of working methods over here.
I had a short time with a shonky firm here and then dropped lucky with a firm who were desperate for a tiler and who shall we say "bent the rules" just a bit. Basically the bloke who was their supervisor needed a tiler and had a builders licence, he employed me directly to him and became a subcontractor to the company he was employed as supervisor for then paid me a wage until the licence came through. Not sure of the legality of it but it was good of him to do it and he's a good mate now despite having left the company.
Old Nov 15th 2004, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks very much lads all your info is very helpful.I.ll just have to do my best to impress 0nce i get there.

dave