Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Building a house/extension!

Building a house/extension!

Old Sep 12th 2007, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

andym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the roughandym79 is a jewel in the rough
Default Building a house/extension!

From an old post:

Re: Building extensions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a bit confused now.

So are you saying electricians don't need to do the owner builder course steve'o or that I can wire my own house?

Ah it seems with drainage it depends on which state, in ACT, QLD, NT, NSW and VIC drainage must be done by a licenced installer, in the other states it doesn't!

Same for a carpenter only needs to be licenced in NSW and QLD!

Bricklayer licences compulsory in NSW; unless the work undertaken is less than $1100 in QLD, $5,000 in TAS and VIC and $12,000 in NT; no licence is required in SA or WA.

Plumbing in all but SA (I can't find any trade but electrical that needs to be).

Roof plumbing compulsory in all but SA and TAS!

Roofing compulsory in NSW, QLD and WA, and unleess less than $12,000 in NT.

Plastering compulsory NSW and QLD unless under $1100 and NT unless under $12,000.

It seems that if you want to self build in NSW and QLD forget it!
If these are the requirements for a job to require a licenced tradesman to undertake the work, I have one simply question.

For trades that only have to be licenced if the job is over a certain value, then how can the council/government or whatever prove how much it cost if you do it yourself?

An I being stupid or does the financial condition not open a legal loop hole, i.e. I can do it myself because you can buy a reasonable amount of materials for $5000 or $12000 as labour is not chargeable?

Also couldn't you simply divide a larger project into smaller jobs to keep the price below the threshold?
Old Sep 12th 2007, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building a house/extension!

Originally Posted by andym79
From an old post:

If these are the requirements for a job to require a licenced tradesman to undertake the work, I have one simply question.

For trades that only have to be licenced if the job is over a certain value, then how can the council/government or whatever prove how much it cost if you do it yourself?

An I being stupid or does the financial condition not open a legal loop hole, i.e. I can do it myself because you can buy a reasonable amount of materials for $5000 or $12000 as labour is not chargeable?

Also couldn't you simply divide a larger project into smaller jobs to keep the price below the threshold?
Here in WA, if the cost of an extension exceeds $18,000 and the work isn't done by a qualified builder............... then there is a restriction re you on-selling that property within the next six years.

If you do the work yourself as owner-builder rather than employ a fair dinkum qualified and registered builder............ then same property cannot be sold within the six year period unless you cough up for indemnity insurance.