Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aus passport ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Aus passport ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Old Sep 10th 2007, 6:38 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aus passport ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Has anyone got a aus passport recently? They now have this little card which shows the measurements of the face and size of picture and it's a nightmare. It is different to other passport/photo requirements and I have already had two sets of passport photos done and they don't match the requirements. The picture of your head has to be within a certain measurement, the measurement between your chin and crown of your head has to be within a measurement along with all the usual no dark background, etc etc etc. And to add insult to injury they told me today that I would have to pay a fee as my passport got stolen in 2000. I THINK NOT. I emailed the Australian office today to clarify as it was stolen before the new rules came in and expired before the new rules came in. Oh the things to come..... And then there is the bloody signature from the other parent - unless they are dead they want a signature - don't care if you have a court order - we want the signature - more money to the solicitor to send a ruddy photocopy of the page from the application as he can't know where we live.

one two ---- deep breath ---- chill
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

sloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the roughsloane46 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Aus passport ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Know how you feel about the passport photos I had mine taken in Max spielmans with my four kids having theirs done at same time took a printoff of the requirements to the shop and me and the woman there spent ages getting them right with a tape measure. much to the annoyance of one particular woman who started saying its only a passport! after trying to explain to her how aus passports are stricter and getting a snotty reply I gave up trying to explain. The woman in the shop was lovely as I had explained to her how I had to travel from Bolton to Edinburgh to get the passports and if one was wrong(especially if it was the kids who werent travelling with me) then it would be a very expensive mistake. Anyway rant over good luck with your third attempt it will all be worth it in the end
Old Sep 11th 2007, 3:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

When hubby and girls needed Aus passport photos in the UK we went to a Kodak shop with the rules and they sorted it no problem. They are used to different rules for different countries. It's all digital so they can all be manipulated.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 3:19 am

gedge has disabled reputation

we did ours photography at home
white wall, tripod and digi camera
get the lighting right so there are no shadows and then snap half a dozen shots per person
picked the best couple and off to the photo lab
told them what we wanted and they did the rest

unless you've got an odd shaped head, the dimensions aren't that difficult to get right
Old Sep 11th 2007, 3:48 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
unless you've got an odd shaped head, the dimensions aren't that difficult to get right
Possibly therein lies the problem
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

It's just the same for UK passports now. If you use the Post Office checking service they get templates out and check your photo complies and I've seen people getting their applications rejected. I think it's something to do with face recognition/scanning software requirements.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 2:53 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
It's just the same for UK passports now. If you use the Post Office checking service they get templates out and check your photo complies and I've seen people getting their applications rejected. I think it's something to do with face recognition/scanning software requirements.
My friend used this service and had photos at Max Spielmans and she had to return to Max Spielmans TWICE because the passport office said the photos were wrong when the post office had checked them!
Let's hope it was a one off...
although the passport office are offering her compensation....
J x

I recently used the checking service and received my passport back in 6 days!!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:28 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going back tomorrow. I thought I would give them a break from me and will have the measure thing with me that I got with the passport application.

Iv'e been looking at the rules on stolen passports after I was told I would need to pay a fee for a passport stolen in 2000 and I realised it expired months before the law came in and isn't in the last 5 years - the info all states in the last 5 years. I wonder if I won't have to pay the fee? mmmm
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:36 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by louie
Snap for the Iris Passport Office too.
I had to renew mine recently and my first set of pics were rejected due to being 1mm out !

These new face recognition systems are purdy fussy indeedy :-)
Old Sep 12th 2007, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

So what if you don't know who the father of your child is - how do you get a signature then?
Old Sep 12th 2007, 5:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by homewardbound
So what if you don't know who the father of your child is - how do you get a signature then?
Presumably there would be no father's name on the birth certificate so you wouldn't need a signature
Old Sep 12th 2007, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killamarsh
Has anyone got a aus passport recently? They now have this little card which shows the measurements of the face and size of picture and it's a nightmare. It is different to other passport/photo requirements and I have already had two sets of passport photos done and they don't match the requirements. The picture of your head has to be within a certain measurement, the measurement between your chin and crown of your head has to be within a measurement along with all the usual no dark background, etc etc etc. And to add insult to injury they told me today that I would have to pay a fee as my passport got stolen in 2000. I THINK NOT. I emailed the Australian office today to clarify as it was stolen before the new rules came in and expired before the new rules came in. Oh the things to come..... And then there is the bloody signature from the other parent - unless they are dead they want a signature - don't care if you have a court order - we want the signature - more money to the solicitor to send a ruddy photocopy of the page from the application as he can't know where we live.

one two ---- deep breath ---- chill

chill out Killamarsh - I know what you mean - I went and had my pic done and bothered with my hair and makeup only to be told the pic wasn't right - I was told this when i turned up feeling (and looking ) grotty - had a sh*T picture taken and that is now on my ozzie passport...
Old Sep 12th 2007, 8:57 am
Banned

Aussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud of

Just go to your nearest Kmart, they normally have a white board organized, they will take your photos as the Passport office want them and develop them for you.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:18 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

If you get the pics taken at the post office when you go to apply for your passport you only pay once for the pics no matter how many times they have to snap you. For the small fee [$20 odd bucks] it's not worth the hassle going anywhere else
Old Sep 12th 2007, 6:23 pm
Canberra bound

Went back to the photo shop and they winced as I walked in. The tutting woman from the other day rolled her eyes. He ended up doing two sets as the first one still didn't match the measurements of the 'photo card' that came with the passport application. They didn't end up charging me again and I gave back the last pics taken. I think they are ok and will get both sets signed and take them to Aus house when we lodge the applications. Just need to sit and wait to see if the 'father' returns the parental signature page to me signed. We shall see.