Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Broken Australian Dream

The Broken Australian Dream

Old Oct 15th 2003, 8:04 am
Just Joined

ELAINE hYMAS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default medicare for temp. res.

Medicare NOT available for holders of visa 410 - retirement visa..
Private medical insurance required when applying for this visa - Medicare is not available - we are from UK.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 9:43 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Broken Australian Dream

Originally posted by stay or go ?
if you are a Temp Resident in Australia, you are eligible for a "Reciprocal Agreement" Medicare card, which entitles you to Life Saving Medical care - and nothing else.
Not true, it covers you for trips to the doctor, xrays (non emergency) & the stuff that medicare usually covers. Dagboy has had one since he got here 2.5 years ago on a 457 visa & has used it for various things. Not sure what "restricted" is, but its not only lifesaving or public hospital treatment.

As for migrants original post, he/she had to pay for public schooling? Me thinks maybe his/her grasp of english isnt the best, perhaps he/she has the public/state thing mixed up .
Old Oct 15th 2003, 9:51 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Not true, it covers you for trips to the doctor, xrays (non emergency) & the stuff that medicare usually covers. Dagboy has had one since he got here 2.5 years ago on a 457 visa & has used it for various things. Not sure what "restricted" is, but its not only lifesaving or public hospital treatment.

As for migrants original post, he/she had to pay for public schooling? Me thinks maybe his/her grasp of english isnt the best, perhaps he/she has the public/state thing mixed up .
I agree with Mrs Dagboy. OK I did not get full repayment but pretty much 95%. I was dealt with very quickly which was far more important to me. If you want 100% cover you must find a bulk billing doctor.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 10:24 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Re % rebate from medicare -

unless you go to a doctor that bulk bills you will only ever get 85% of the scheduled fee (set by Medicare) back regardless of what Medicare card you have. Its exactly the same for all.

And as for the high income earners paying an extra levy, I think you will find that that applies to anyone earning over a certain amount, it doesnt have anything to do with if you are on a visa or not.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

i'm a bit bamboozled by all the different info here..

I have a question. I am married to NZer who has automatic right to live in Aus. I am initially going on a ETA and applying for temp visa then PR... i am a ddiabetic...does anyone know how i will stand for getting my mediccations and check ups?...will it cost me heaps of money or will i get it free?
Old Oct 15th 2003, 11:06 am
Badge

I went over on a Working holiday and I got one (medicare) after a 10min form fill.

Badge

Old Oct 15th 2003, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by bondipom
I agree with Mrs Dagboy. OK I did not get full repayment but pretty much 95%. I was dealt with very quickly which was far more important to me. If you want 100% cover you must find a bulk billing doctor.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

A 457 temp. visa - is not the same as a 410 retirement visa - be assured that Medicare is not available if you are the holder of a 410 visa - when this visa was granted to us two years ago the letter from immigration stressed this point.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 9:10 pm

Originally posted by podgypossum
i'm a bit bamboozled by all the different info here..

I have a question. I am married to NZer who has automatic right to live in Aus. I am initially going on a ETA and applying for temp visa then PR... i am a ddiabetic...does anyone know how i will stand for getting my mediccations and check ups?...will it cost me heaps of money or will i get it free?
I do not know about the medication. As you are on an ETA initially you will have to pay up front and claim back from a medicare office. You might say pay $45 to the docs and get $25 back. When you get your temp visa you can apply for a medicare card which means you can go to a bulk billing doctor and not pay a cent.

I had a scare the other month and one hospital trip cost $135 but I got back $110. The second trip for another department was free with nothing to pay up front. I was totally confused.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 9:16 pm
WBB

Originally posted by bondipom

I had a scare the other month and one hospital trip cost $135 but I got back $110. The second trip for another department was free with nothing to pay up front. I was totally confused.

hope it was nothing serious bondi

ingrowing ego?

Old Oct 15th 2003, 9:24 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by shorrock
Regarding medicare and temp visa

If you country doesn't have an aggrement between each other you can claim the medicare levi back, via your tax return.

If you country does have an agreement between each other you can get a medicare card. All UK people can get a medicare card on a temp visa. But they also have to pay the medicare levi's on the there taxes.

Also on a temp visa you can claim more tax deductables. Not sure how much this is true, but I was told you can claim a flight back home each year. so if you fly to the uk from oz you get to claim A$2000 or more.

When on a temp visa you get Living away from home allowance. See previous threads on LAFHA.

I wish Not true as 'permanent' temp's when we get to oz although we shall pay all the relevant taxes we will NEVER be eligible for anything medicare cards or anything else.

Kieron
Old Oct 15th 2003, 9:26 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi podgypossum,

Nice Picture

Isit you?

I thuink it might be expensive for you being over on an ETA, untill you get Medicare & Bulk Bill

Bye
Markeh
Old Oct 15th 2003, 9:41 pm

Originally posted by welshboybilly
hope it was nothing serious bondi

ingrowing ego?
Yet again WBB you are raising the standard of the debate and adding so much useful information.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 9:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Podgypossum,
If you're on an ETA and on a British passport, you should get treatment under the reciprocal health care thing. If you get the E111 form that gets you treatment just like in Europe,as you're a visitor.
As for the medication thing - I've packed the bit of paper, but I think you pay part of it, and the UK NHS picks up the bill for the rest, via Medicare.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 10:03 pm

Originally posted by Pollyana
Podgypossum,
If you're on an ETA and on a British passport, you should get treatment under the reciprocal health care thing. If you get the E111 form that gets you treatment just like in Europe,as you're a visitor.
As for the medication thing - I've packed the bit of paper, but I think you pay part of it, and the UK NHS picks up the bill for the rest, via Medicare.
Pollyanna you are right about the reciprocal thing but you do not need the E111. My best man was on an ETA last year and just claimed most of the money back from medicare. No E111 needed.

I cannot find a list of countries that have the reciprocal agreement. I wonder if anyone else has it.

Lets just hope none of us need it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.