British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   The Broken Australian Dream (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/broken-australian-dream-112531/)

migrant2002 Oct 8th 2002 9:55 am

The Broken Australian Dream

I just want to write down some frustration about the big Australian dream.

Here as an Temporary Long Stay Business VISA 457, learning the hard way the reality of the Australian dream.

Paying 100% of Taxes just like Australian, but excluded from any benefit.-
Companies pushing their obligations toward the employee, who usually does not know the system, a situation happily exploited by local companies.
In some States you even must pay the public school, your Taxes are not enough. No Tax benefit here.
You required to forcefully invest into disastrous performing Superannuation funds, if you ever will see the money who knows.
Your monthly retirement payments into your home country cannot gain any tax benefit, but your earning out of this retirement, they want it too.
If you make payments to your ex wife, support dependent relatives overseas. No way for the Tax they should be here that you could earn a benefit, but this prevents skilfully DIMIA.
Sponsor a close relative, laughter at DIMIA. Not for temporary residents.

Employment and labour market extremely limited in size and volume. Since in the industries every one knows every one, this ends up as a closed friend circle hard to break in.

What about the hard working Australian. Unfortunately they seems to be rare. Yes, hard talking maybe that what was meant by this, not so much working?

After 2 years here an approved PR ready for pick up, I seriously have to reconsider the decision as one of the mistakes in live.

The only think missing for Temporary Residents is the mandatory detention after work. But this is reserved for less fortunate people.

Australians what kind of double standards do you run here down under.
Equal opportunity? Equal chances?
I heard before coming here that Australia needs highly qualified people. Why do not treat them accordingly instead of punishing them for being here.

Don Oct 8th 2002 11:56 am

Re: The Broken Australian Dream

Originally posted by migrant2002:

Here as an Temporary Long Stay Business VISA 457, learning the hard way the reality of the Australian dream.

Companies pushing their obligations toward the employee, who usually does not know the system, a situation happily exploited by local companies.
In some States you even must pay the public school, your Taxes are not enough. No Tax benefit here.
You required to forcefully invest into disastrous performing Superannuation funds, if you ever will see the money who knows.
Your monthly retirement payments into your home country cannot gain any tax benefit, but your earning out of this retirement, they want it too.
If you make payments to your ex wife, support dependent relatives overseas. No way for the Tax they should be here that you could earn a benefit, but this prevents skilfully DIMIA.

Employment and labour market extremely limited in size and volume. Since in the industries every one knows every one, this ends up as a closed friend circle hard to break in.

What about the hard working Australian. Unfortunately they seems to be rare. Yes, hard talking maybe that what was meant by this, not so much working?

After 2 years here an approved PR ready for pick up, I seriously have to reconsider the decision as one of the mistakes in live.

The only think missing for Temporary Residents is the mandatory detention after work. But this is reserved for less fortunate people.

I heard before coming here that Australia needs highly qualified people. Why do not treat them accordingly instead of punishing them for being here.

How much of this information did you obtain before going to work in Aus? If you researched everything adequately, then you must have known more or less all the conditions you list. Which begs the question: why are you complaining about it? No-one forced you to go work in Australia. If by your post you just mean to say that the 457 visa is not exactly a great deal for visa holders compared to PR - then: yes, it's true. But you are allowed to go work in Aus much sooner than those waiting for PR approval.

shellypuss Oct 9th 2002 10:47 pm

Here, here !!!!!!

Originally posted by pleasancefamily:

How much of this information did you obtain before going to work in Aus? If you researched everything adequately, then you must have known more or less all the conditions you list. Which begs the question: why are you complaining about it? No-one forced you to go work in Australia. If by your post you just mean to say that the 457 visa is not exactly a great deal for visa holders compared to PR - then: yes, it's true. But you are allowed to go work in Aus much sooner than those waiting for PR approval.

shorrock Oct 10th 2002 1:03 am

Originally posted by shellypuss:
Here, here !!!!!!

Same here!!!

I'm currently on a 457 and submitted my PR application 2 months ago. I'm having a great time and I'm in IT.

If you didn't like it why did you go for PR. It must have taken you 12 months or so to apply. I'm sure during that time you could have come to this conclusion..

So does this mean your going back to your home country?? No mention of you doing that???

Kieron

Ceri Oct 10th 2002 4:33 am

Originally posted by migrant2002:

The super payments, it used to be until recently ,when you left Australia you could claim back all those payments... now they don't do this anymore. I think now Britain and Australia have got an agreement , if you leave here, your Super will be paid into your British retirement fund.

To those people "why take PR?" I think "migrant's" original thread answered that ... it's because you do not get as many benefits being a Temp resident, even though you are paying the same taxes as everyone else. Same reason why I took out PR two years ago. You can't even get a medicare card being a temp resident, although you are paying tax for everything.

cheers :)

shorrock Oct 10th 2002 5:15 am

Originally posted by Ceri:

The super payments, it used to be until recently ,when you left Australia you could claim back all those payments... now they don't do this anymore. I think now Britain and Australia have got an agreement , if you leave here, your Super will be paid into your British retirement fund.

To those people "why take PR?" I think "migrant's" original thread answered that ... it's because you do not get as many benefits being a Temp resident, even though you are paying the same taxes as everyone else. Same reason why I took out PR two years ago. You can't even get a medicare card being a temp resident, although you are paying tax for everything.

cheers :)

Regarding medicare and temp visa

If you country doesn't have an aggrement between each other you can claim the medicare levi back, via your tax return.

If you country does have an agreement between each other you can get a medicare card. All UK people can get a medicare card on a temp visa. But they also have to pay the medicare levi's on the there taxes.

Also on a temp visa you can claim more tax deductables. Not sure how much this is true, but I was told you can claim a flight back home each year. so if you fly to the uk from oz you get to claim A$2000 or more.

When on a temp visa you get Living away from home allowance. See previous threads on LAFHA.

Kieron

Ceri Oct 10th 2002 5:28 am

Originally posted by shorrock:

If you country doesn't have an aggrement between each other you can claim the medicare levi back, via your tax return.

If you country does have an agreement between each other you can get a medicare card. All UK people can get a medicare card on a temp visa. But they also have to pay the medicare levi's on the there taxes.

Also on a temp visa you can claim more tax deductables. Not sure how much this is true, but I was told you can claim a flight back home each year. so if you fly to the uk from oz you get to claim A$2000 or more.

When on a temp visa you get Living away from home allowance. See previous threads on LAFHA.

Kieron

Since when? I was temp for three years and couldn't get a medicare card, it was for PR's and citizens. But, if you are from the UK you can get emergency hospital treatment, which I actually had while on temp visa (business 4 year) (I was in hospital for 4 weeks due to a fishing accident) But, when I had check ups with the GP ... I had to pay for it (100%)

Tax deductions - I didn't receive any more money from my yearly tax returns when temp , than I do now being PR.

Agreed on the part you can claim medicare payments back from certain countries. Britain you can't, because of the emergency treatment agreement between Aus and Britain.

cheers:)

P.S
copied from medicare site

Am I eligible?
People who reside in Australia are eligible if they meet any of the following four criteria:

they hold Australian citizenship
they have been issued with a permanent visa
they hold New Zealand citizenship, or
they have applied for a permanent visa, restrictions apply to persons who have applied for a parent visa (other requirements apply).
The Commonwealth Government has signed Reciprocal Health Care Agreements with some countries. Under these arrangements, residents of these countries are entitled to restricted access to health cover while visiting Australia.

(Restricted access means for emergency treatment, like I needed. If you break your leg, get hit by a car, have a heart attack etc and need the hospital)

Herman Oct 10th 2002 5:33 am

Since when? I was temp for three years and couldn't get a medicare card, it was for PR's and citizens. But, if you are from the UK you can get emergency hospital treatment, which I actually had while on temp visa (business 4 year) (I was in hospital for 4 weeks due to a fishing accident) But, when I had check ups with the GP ... I had to pay for it (100%)

Tax deductions - I didn't receive any more money from my yearly tax returns when temp , than I do now being PR.

Agreed on the part you can claim medicare payments back from certain countries. Britain you can't, because of the emergency treatment agreement between Aus and Britain.

All Brits can get a medicare card, temp or PR. I am a temp resident and have one. My wife is Czech and cant get one but she claims back the levy as described above.

shorrock Oct 10th 2002 5:35 am

I've had a medicare card since 2 weeks after I got here, that was 3+ years ago. I just walked into medicare, told them I was a UK citizen and I'd like a card. Showed my passport and visa stamp and filled in a form.

7 days later I had my card. I have to renew the card every year, but I'v had no problems. I renew at different medicare places still with no problems.

I've been to the doctor twice and had to pay nothing for visiting them. All covered by medicare.

Kieron

Ceri Oct 10th 2002 5:38 am

Originally posted by Herman:

All Brits can get a medicare card, temp or PR. I am a temp resident and have one. My wife is Czech and cant get one but she claims back the levy as described above.

well the B*&888 'd s wouldn't give me one :)... I've been conned!!!
I spent 4 weeks in hospital, leg operation, which was free. But, when I went to the GP for check - ups I had to pay.

I've got one now, had it two years ago as soon as I had my PR.

stay or go ? Oct 10th 2002 7:30 am

if you are a Temp Resident in Australia, you are eligible for a "Reciprocal Agreement" Medicare card, which entitles you to Life Saving Medical care - and nothing else.

You get taxed the medicare levy, same as everyone else, and if you & your partner earn (combined) over $100k per annum, you BOTH get an extra .5% Medicare surcharge.

Best bet is Australian Unity Private Medical Cover till you get PR. Otherwise, the only thing the Reciprocal Agreement card is useful for is breaking into your house if you forgot your keys !

onlyme Oct 10th 2002 9:55 pm

If you still have or can get your GP bills for the accident, go and claim it back. You only get a % back though not all of it.

well the B*&888 'd s wouldn't give me one :)... I've been conned!!!
I spent 4 weeks in hospital, leg operation, which was free. But, when I went to the GP for check - ups I had to pay.

I've got one now, had it two years ago as soon as I had my PR.

pommiesheila Oct 10th 2002 10:53 pm

Originally posted by shorrock:

Kieron

Kieron - I asked my UK accountant about the LAFHA allowance and he said he'd never heard of it. We're on a 457 temp. visa until the PR comes through (hopefully later this year/early next) and I'd be very interested to hear how you go about getting the LAFHA.

stay or go ? Oct 10th 2002 10:56 pm

Originally posted by pommiesheila:

Kieron - I asked my UK accountant about the LAFHA allowance and he said he'd never heard of it. We're on a 457 temp. visa until the PR comes through (hopefully later this year/early next) and I'd be very interested to hear how you go about getting the LAFHA.

its an Oz Govt tax free "subsidy" (spelling) that you receive whilst on a 457 - there is a minimum amount (something like $100 per fortnight or something), but some companies give more (mutual benefit to employee and employer).

its designed to encourage the likes of us to come over and earn the peso. not a bad idea.

Alan Collett Oct 10th 2002 11:19 pm

Hello ps.

I'm not surprised your UK accountant hasn't heard anything about the Living Away From Home Allowance as almost all UK accountants focus only on UK tax.

Here's a link that might be of interest:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=61

The LAFHA is usually agreed as part of the salary package when you move to Australia - in other words part of the package is LAFHA, you might receive some other benefits (that are taxable on the employer under the Fringe Benefits Tax regime), and the remainder is taxable salary.

What you can't do is claim the LAFHA as a deduction on your Annual Aussie Tax Return.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by pommiesheila: