Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brits in Mt. Isa

Brits in Mt. Isa

Old May 3rd 2012, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Gav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to all
Default Brits in Mt. Isa

Hi Everyone,

I posted here a few weeks ago about a potential move to Townsville. Well the job offer is looking like it will happen now with one huge catch.......... my first assignment will be project managing some mining infrastructure in Mt. Isa............... Now I have been to the Isa before and well, it isn't exactly where I would want to live but this would only be for 6 months and will come with pretty good benefits etc.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is much of an expat community out there? Any regulars resident in the Isa?

Thanks in advance!

Gav
Old May 4th 2012, 7:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits in Mt. Isa

Originally Posted by Gav_71
Hi Everyone,

I posted here a few weeks ago about a potential move to Townsville. Well the job offer is looking like it will happen now with one huge catch.......... my first assignment will be project managing some mining infrastructure in Mt. Isa............... Now I have been to the Isa before and well, it isn't exactly where I would want to live but this would only be for 6 months and will come with pretty good benefits etc.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is much of an expat community out there? Any regulars resident in the Isa?

Thanks in advance!

Gav
Well there was one but she's just moved down here. She doesn't post anymore but I'll see if she'll come on and give you some of her words of wisdom
Old May 8th 2012, 3:35 am
Just Joined

R00ksie has a brilliant futureR00ksie has a brilliant futureR00ksie has a brilliant futureR00ksie has a brilliant futureR00ksie has a brilliant futureR00ksie has a brilliant futureR00ksie has a brilliant futureR00ksie has a brilliant future

Hi there

My family and I have just moved to GC, having lived in The Isa for just over 2 years.

I have to say, I left a piece of my heart there. The people are just fantastic and the school where I worked was simply beautiful.

My husband worked with an expat but, having said that, the guy moved to Australia when he was 4 years old! Apart from that, no other Poms to be seen. Didn't bother me in the slightest though as I made some friends for life in The Isa.

Reasons for our move were better healthcare in Brisbane and Uni for kids.

Seriously, don't worry about making friends. The people of Mt Isa are the salt of the earth
Old May 8th 2012, 3:45 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

There's a thriving Irish Club.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 11:16 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226502736489

Despite having a tenth of the population of the Gold Coast, Mount Isa's crime rate was four times that of the Glitter Strip, and double that of Townsville and Rockhampton.

But Mount Isa Mayor Tony McGrady said it was ridiculous to suggest the city was Queensland's most dangerous
Well, he would say that, wouldn't he. Being the mayor and all.