British Revenue

Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

marleintje is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Revenue

Hey Everybody,
My hubby is British and has lived and worked in the Netherlands for over 7 years. (I'm Dutch). Every year he receives the grey envelope from British Revenue and has to fill out all the forms. There really is nothing to tell them, as he does not have income in England and we visit only twice a year for a couple of days. It always has a letter with it saying you get a big fine if you don't sign and return the papers. How annoying!
Is there anyway to stop these requests? Especially now that we're moving to Australia in future we want to get rid of British Revenue forms. We might not have a steady addres downunder for quite a while and don't want to get a fine from the UK because we didn't receive their stupid grey envelope.
Has anyone here already moved and do you fill out revenue the rest of your life (or untill you give up British citizenship...) Please advice!
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:15 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: British Revenue

Originally posted by marleintje
Hey Everybody,
My hubby is British and has lived and worked in the Netherlands for over 7 years. (I'm Dutch). Every year he receives the grey envelope from British Revenue and has to fill out all the forms. There really is nothing to tell them, as he does not have income in England and we visit only twice a year for a couple of days. It always has a letter with it saying you get a big fine if you don't sign and return the papers. How annoying!
Is there anyway to stop these requests? Especially now that we're moving to Australia in future we want to get rid of British Revenue forms. We might not have a steady addres downunder for quite a while and don't want to get a fine from the UK because we didn't receive their stupid grey envelope.
Has anyone here already moved and do you fill out revenue the rest of your life (or untill you give up British citizenship...) Please advice!
I've never seen one before Maybe its because of the European Community ?

Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Gazza is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Everybody,
Hi,

Why don't you look up www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk find a phone number/email address and get in touch with them and ask them if they can stop sending the forms.
The IR are pushing to reduce their admin and are easier to deal with than many years ago.

Nothing to lose.

Gaz
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:28 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I would contact you tax office (should be reference to it on the letters). Explain that you are moving to Oz, that as far as you are concerned that none of your future income (they will proabably want confirmation of no other UK assets like property) will be taxed under the Inland Revenue (point out this has been the case whilst you have been in Holland), and that there is thus no need to keep sending tax returns. Of course you will let them know should the situation change in the furture

Ensure that you get confirmation of their actions in writing to ensure if they make a mistake and send a return out you are not liable to fine.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I'm aware, the Revenue should be willing to stop sending out tax return forms to him once they are sure there is nothing for him to report on them.

He does *not* need to give up British citizenship for this reason. And even if he did, it would make no difference.

British citizenship *in itself* does not carry any tax filing obligation - only those who are UK resident or who have UK sourced income are of interest to the Inland Revenue.

Being sent UK tax forms is nothing to do with the EU either.

Jeremy

Hey Everybody,
Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there anyway to stop these requests?

Don't tell them your address in Australia - so far as I am aware this is totally legal and you are not obliged to tell them. The Inland Revenue can write to you for demands for tax - if there is nothing to declare you are not obliged to reply.

IMHO!

Steve
Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there anyway to stop these requests?
Don't tell the Inland Revenue your address in Australia! There is nothing illegal in this - you are legally obliged to declare income to the IR if UK based - if there is no income there is no obligation on you replying to them.

Steve
Old Jul 6th 2004, 11:56 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Has your husband advised the UK Inland Revenue that he has ceased to be resident in the UK? I imagine so if he has completed the Non-Resident supplement of the Tax Return.

I would send a letter to your husband's tax office asking them to close his Self Assessment tax file, on the basis that he has no assessable income in the UK, has not lived in the UK for a number of years, and as you are now moving to Australia.

Note also that any late filing penalties for the late lodgement of a UK Tax Return are limited to the lower of GBP100 and the tax outstanding on 31st January following the end of the tax year => no tax outstanding means no late filing penalty will be due (once the outstanding Return is lodged).

Best regards.

Hey Everybody,
Old Jul 6th 2004, 12:00 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite correct - if you have UK source rental income you are required to provide details each year even if you are non-UK resident, unless the Revenue confirms Returns aren't required (eg if they are happy you have no tax liability because the net rental income is covered by UK personal allowances).

Best regards.

Originally posted by cookies
Don't tell the Inland Revenue your address in Australia! There is nothing illegal in this - you are legally obliged to declare income to the IR if UK based - if there is no income there is no obligation on you replying to them.

Steve
Old Jul 6th 2004, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

marleintje is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everybody, I am extremely chuffed by all your replies and great advice! I wil look on the Revenue website and get in touch with them.
We have no assets or income in England so it should be fine.
Cheers!!