Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

British pensions, what happens now?

British pensions, what happens now?

Old Jun 13th 2005, 2:59 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default British pensions, what happens now?

We are moving out next year and are wondering if we have to do anything uk end, or whether it gets transferred automatically and whetheit does at all.

Basically we are 34 and 37 and wonder if it goes towards our ozzie pension or not.

Are there any website to try or links to peruse please,
As ever much appreciated for ANY help regarding this.
al and clare
Old Jun 13th 2005, 3:04 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British pensions, what happens now?

This might be of interest http://s9.invisionfree.com/Piggy_Ban...p?showtopic=61
Old Jun 13th 2005, 3:22 pm
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

thanks bridie. it is for WA so the legalities ay be different to say QLD.
Just wondering wheter our nat insrance payments over 20 yrs count for anytjhing there towards health or pensions.
al
Old Jun 13th 2005, 3:28 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alkristensen
thanks bridie. it is for WA so the legalities ay be different to say QLD.
Just wondering wheter our nat insrance payments over 20 yrs count for anytjhing there towards health or pensions.
al
Not sure, I thought Sasha told me he does all over Oz.......

Must admit this pensions lark is the one thing I find really confusing, and not knowing where to turn for proper, impartial advice.

Let me know if you find anyone / anything

Sorry i cant be more help...
Old Jun 13th 2005, 4:31 pm
Banned

bump
Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:54 pm
blossom

bump
My understanding is if you have worked continually in Australia for more than 5 years you are entitled to the Australian pension, which I believe, but don't quote me is higher than the UK pension.

However, the Govt does encourage all migrants to chase pension entitlements up in whatever country you primarly lived and worked before emigrating.

Blossom

Old Jun 13th 2005, 11:51 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by blossom
My understanding is if you have worked continually in Australia for more than 5 years you are entitled to the Australian pension, which I believe, but don't quote me is higher than the UK pension.

However, the Govt does encourage all migrants to chase pension entitlements up in whatever country you primarly lived and worked before emigrating.

Blossom
I think it is also a 10 year residence requirement for the Australian Pension, but also take account of the fact that The Australian Aged Pension is both Asset and Income tested.

I heard yesterday that my UK personal private pension can now begin to pay out at age 50, instead of 60, as from April 2006. I wonder how much difference the monthly payment would be, between age 50 and 60

The UK State aged pension will pay out, (pro rata) at the correct age, but will not increase in line with inflation after the first payment date.
see this www.direct.gov.uk

Old Jun 13th 2005, 11:54 pm
ABCDiamond

Something to think about

Remember to tell the Pension Service when you change your address or the form (to claim the pension) may not get to you.

International Pension Centre
Tyneview Park
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
NE98 1BA
United Kingdom
Telephone: +44 (0) 191 218 7777; Fax: +44 (0) 191 218 3836

Old Jun 15th 2005, 1:15 am
Banned

thanks again abcd.

Does it matter that im only 34?

Do i stil have to do it before i move?
thanks
alk
Old Jun 15th 2005, 1:27 am
ABCDiamond

thanks again abcd.

Does it matter that im only 34?

Do i stil have to do it before i move?
thanks
alk
Well.... I moved in 1986 and still haven't done it

I think you have a bit of time But it may be worth advising them before you forget all about it. Memory fades with age

Old Jun 15th 2005, 1:44 am
Banned

LOL thanks for that.

im an old man now(inside) with an aortic valve replacement and blot clots removed from brain and a seizure and septacemia 3 yrs ago, ill be glad to make it to pension age!

cheers
al