Reload this Page >

"British" food/good shops in Australia

"British" food/good shops in Australia

Old Aug 4th 2007, 11:24 am
Account Closed

p l d k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "British" food/good shops in Australia

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
Definetely Bisto. Bourbon & Custard Cream biscuits, Shreddies, "proper" Shredded Wheat not that lightweight Uncle Toby's stuff, Sainsburys Maple & Pecan Crunch cereal, stuffing in any flavour but sage & onion, non-syrupy mint sauce, Toffee Crisps, pork scratchings, Ambrosia custard or rice pudding, bread sauce mix, coronation chicken sandwich filler and a regular supply of Helmans Mayo..................................... no doubt there are others that will come to mind. Currently got a jar of the limited Guiness Marmite awaiting me in the UK on my next trip. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm Sainsburys
We must have the exact same tastes in cerials I really miss shreddies and Shredded wheat, thats about all, oh yeah my wife misses the Plain and self raising flour, dont know why, something to do with Yorkshire Puds?
Old Aug 4th 2007, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

? You can get plain flour and SR flour in any shop
Old Aug 4th 2007, 11:51 am
Account Closed

I know, please dont ridicule me but the Wife is convinced that the flour is totally different here.

This is my wifes opinion, I really am not in any position to disagree.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 1:18 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by p l d k
I know, please dont ridicule me but the Wife is convinced that the flour is totally different here.

I cook/bake a lot and I have not noticed any difference. What problems is she experiencing?
Old Aug 4th 2007, 7:03 pm
Account Closed

I think Yorkshire Puds seem to be the main culprit, there have been some other things as well aparently. (Could be a case of a bad workman blaming his tools, but it is very unwise to say much too a woman in those circumstances).
Old Aug 5th 2007, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

I have to say I've not noticed a difference. I use the White Wings brand. I used to use Tesco Value flour but for some reason I can't bring myself to use the supermarket cheapy brands here
Old Aug 5th 2007, 12:20 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by p l d k

It must be different - I made some cakes here and everyone thought they were delicious and I've been asked to make more!
Old Aug 5th 2007, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
It must be different - I made some cakes here and everyone thought they were delicious and I've been asked to make more!

I love it

PS what is it with "packet mix" over here??? In my DD's "Princess" magazine, there's always a cake to make... and the ingredients are always "2 packets of cake mix". And the method is "make according to the box". Just how darn lazy is that?!
Old Aug 5th 2007, 11:15 am
3 Yrs til the good life!

terriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really nice

Originally Posted by TillyG
I love it

PS what is it with "packet mix" over here??? In my DD's "Princess" magazine, there's always a cake to make... and the ingredients are always "2 packets of cake mix". And the method is "make according to the box". Just how darn lazy is that?!
I dunno, sounds like my type of cake!
Old Aug 5th 2007, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by terriefarrell
I dunno, sounds like my type of cake!
Lazy blighter
Old Aug 5th 2007, 11:35 am
3 Yrs til the good life!

terriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really nice

Originally Posted by TillyG
Lazy blighter
I love cooking but i HATE baking!
Old Aug 5th 2007, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm the opposite - love baking but cooking? Nah, just hand me a jar of pasta sauce, that'll do
Old Aug 5th 2007, 2:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britain.on.the.Bayside
Hi from the owner of Britain on the Bayside in Birkdale. It's been an interesting read and I take on board all of your comments. Before making judgement though I'd pop in to have a good look around as you'll soon discover we are not like any other Brit shop you have visited before. Yes we have food and great sausages but we also stock British football team official merchandise (including Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea and there is more coming in over the next few months). We have a vast range of Guinness Branded merchandise, kids toys including Beatrix Potter, Paddington bear, Winnie the Pooh. We have a full range a gifts including Jamie Oliver merchandise, Beatles memorabilia, (Mick Jagger merchandise coming in soon), travel books and even M&S kids books. We have Welsh, Irish, English and Scottish merchandise too. The website will be up and running in the next few weeks and we will be providing an onlive delivery service across Australia during the coming months. So hopefully next time you're on the Bayside pop in and make your own mind up. See you soon.
No driving licence, and reluctant hubby means the words "online ordering" are music to my ears, though I'm only Brissie northside.
If you become a regular poster, once your website is up and running you can have a link in your signature, as it is your own site Also you might like to consider advertising on BE - get in touch with Sue, co-owner of the site, if you are interested in rates, as I think a mail-order site up here is sorely needed.

PS You mentioned M&S....thought of importing their ladies underwear? That'd sell, I'm sure of it!

PPS Clarinco Mint creams, Hula Hoops, Mini Cheddars, GENUINE Colmans Mint Sauce, and Homepride Wine Sauces please

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 5th 2007 at 3:01 pm.