Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Validation part two

Brisbane Validation part two

Old Jul 12th 2005, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

coventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud of
Default Brisbane Validation part two

Hi , my fingers have recovered from yesterdays type-in, so I'll keep my word and try and give some info on Brisbanes entertainment ie pubs ect.
As my name suggests, I'm very partial to Irish pubs, live music and jars of porter, My research was very useful and fruitful, so I'll try and share my opinions. My biggest concern on previous threads on BE was that the lack of locals in OZ would come as a shock to a lot of us, as a lot of Aussies drink at home, something I do very rarely as I love the social part of a good boozer.

CBD is full of bars and alfresco eating places, a lot of the bars are yuppie type modernistic, not for me but the wife loved them. I was pleasantly suprised to find that I like the tooheys new draught lager, as I only drink Guinness or bottles of bud at home. The Guinness sadly doesn't travel and tastes just like it does in Spain, slightly bitter. The best was in Mick O'malleys Irish bar, downstairs at the wintergarden centre on queen st. this is a massive pub with live music, and a great Irish sunday arvo 4 til 8 singalong when just like in Dublin local musicians turn up and join in for the craic.
More importantly for me, this is also the meeting place for the brisbane celtic supporters club, and the games are shown live there every week, yippee!
nb HunGer's fans are not allowed in for matches they have a separate screening at the local klu-klux clan club (this is a response to those bluenose's, on this board who gloated after the last game of the season)

Gilhooleys and Irish Murphies are two more big Irish bars in the centre,
and theres the Pig and whistle English pub on eagle pier, plus numerous other fun palaces to ensure a great pub crawl. I was really pleased to find that the centre was full of all ages and not full of yobs looking for trouble like at home.

Fortitude valley
this is a rundown older area about a mile away from cbd, which has become the indie music,hip,arty, trendy, place to be seen. Its very similar to Greenwich village in NY and has the Chinese qtr and a gay community. Its full of trendy apartments,nightclubs,art galleries, wine bars bistros, music arena's etc and pubs. The elephant and wheelbarrow is a very lively English
bar and Dooley's is a cracking Irish bar with a great singalong on Friday nights, frequented by most of Brisbane's Irish contingent. recommended
Even though I am now in my 40's as a left of centre and fan of punk, two tone, indie, new wave etc, I was at home here, I even got into the final of a karaoke pub comp after singing should I stay or should I go by the clash, and my voice is terrible. The place is bursting with energy and has loads of small bars with new original bands playing every night. further down the road is new farm and the very impressive Brisbane powerhouse, an old power station by the river turned into brilliant live entertainment centre.

Paddington
another place that oozes hip and trendy, the main road through is Caxton st which becomes given terrace. Its full of Bohemian little cafes ,bistros, trendy shops and great pubs. all with live music. we had 2 great nights here
theres O'Leary's bar and the massive Caxton hotel with about 5 bars and dancing til late and just up the road the magnificent Paddo tavern, a big cowboy style pub with lovely barmaids in cowgirl hat, saddles for seats, a big pool hall and a great live music venue, and a little fibber Maggee's Irish at the side. magic. nearby the are are two similar trendy streets Nash street and park st full of great places for the ladies who like to lunch!

Ditto Bulimia and Hamilton which also have similar trendy eating and entertainment areas. Hamilton's racecourse rd looked fun on race day as everyone dresses up to go to the eagle farm racecourse at the top of the road on a regular basis.

My son was impressed that the stereophonics were on while we were there and the bravery and Oasis are coming soon

The wife thought it was great that she could see big London shows at the southbank, Saturday night fever and queen tribute, its a kind of magic were both showing amongst others.

everyone is sports mad every bar or cafe has a big screen showing AFL, Rugby league and Union. The sports stadiums are awesome, we visited the sun corp, ballymore and gabba, and I will look forward to watching many games of cricket, rugby and maybe even soccer as the new season is about to get under way with a new league.
There's no excuse for sitting around the house, when theres so much going on in town. there was forthcoming writers, music and film festivals over the next few weeks so I cant wait to get back there now and join in.

Phew! I cant think of anything else. but I can assure any who have not been yet its a beautiful city with very friendly people who enjoy a bit of banter and mickey taking. Lets hope I can get my house sold now eh!
Old Jul 12th 2005, 9:58 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Brisbane Validation part two

Originally Posted by coventrycelt

Phew! I cant think of anything else. but I can assure any who have not been yet its a beautiful city with very friendly people who enjoy a bit of banter and mickey taking. Lets hope I can get my house sold now eh!
I think you sum the centre up very well, and there's so much more a little bit further out to explire too

Good luck with the house-selling!
Old Jul 12th 2005, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Born2tri will become famous soon enoughBorn2tri will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=coventrycelt]

Hi,

Just wanted to say we leave for Brisbane on the 27th July and getting really nervous now but after reading your posts it has reminded me why we are going and how much better our lives will hopefully be.
Thanks again and i hope you sell your house, we are just going with ours still forsale hoping we get a buyer soon.

Lisa
Old Jul 12th 2005, 11:57 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

lol. you make the valley out to sound more like what it used to be like around four years ago. it's become far too trendy in recent years. a lot of bars more suited to the city have opened there (fringe bar, sun bar.....) and dragging some of the pretentious city crowd to the valley.

having spent the last two years living in the valley, then new farm, i have noticed the rapidn changes happening there. i'm currently on the look out for where the valley-types from 3 years ago now head to for their nights out. so if nayone knows where the new valley is........ (yes, i don't seem to have my finger on the pulse).

i also know a number of city-bar types that would avoid the valley at all costs unless going to the family to pop pills and listen to doof-doof all night. even they come to the valley just to drink now.

Hi , my fingers have recovered from yesterdays type-in, so I'll keep my word and try and give some info on Brisbanes entertainment ie pubs ect.
As my name suggests, I'm very partial to Irish pubs, live music and jars of porter, My research was very useful and fruitful, so I'll try and share my opinions. My biggest concern on previous threads on BE was that the lack of locals in OZ would come as a shock to a lot of us, as a lot of Aussies drink at home, something I do very rarely as I love the social part of a good boozer.

CBD is full of bars and alfresco eating places, a lot of the bars are yuppie type modernistic, not for me but the wife loved them. I was pleasantly suprised to find that I like the tooheys new draught lager, as I only drink Guinness or bottles of bud at home. The Guinness sadly doesn't travel and tastes just like it does in Spain, slightly bitter. The best was in Mick O'malleys Irish bar, downstairs at the wintergarden centre on queen st. this is a massive pub with live music, and a great Irish sunday arvo 4 til 8 singalong when just like in Dublin local musicians turn up and join in for the craic.
More importantly for me, this is also the meeting place for the brisbane celtic supporters club, and the games are shown live there every week, yippee!
nb HunGer's fans are not allowed in for matches they have a separate screening at the local klu-klux clan club (this is a response to those bluenose's, on this board who gloated after the last game of the season)

Gilhooleys and Irish Murphies are two more big Irish bars in the centre,
and theres the Pig and whistle English pub on eagle pier, plus numerous other fun palaces to ensure a great pub crawl. I was really pleased to find that the centre was full of all ages and not full of yobs looking for trouble like at home.

Fortitude valley
this is a rundown older area about a mile away from cbd, which has become the indie music,hip,arty, trendy, place to be seen. Its very similar to Greenwich village in NY and has the Chinese qtr and a gay community. Its full of trendy apartments,nightclubs,art galleries, wine bars bistros, music arena's etc and pubs. The elephant and wheelbarrow is a very lively English
bar and Dooley's is a cracking Irish bar with a great singalong on Friday nights, frequented by most of Brisbane's Irish contingent. recommended
Even though I am now in my 40's as a left of centre and fan of punk, two tone, indie, new wave etc, I was at home here, I even got into the final of a karaoke pub comp after singing should I stay or should I go by the clash, and my voice is terrible. The place is bursting with energy and has loads of small bars with new original bands playing every night. further down the road is new farm and the very impressive Brisbane powerhouse, an old power station by the river turned into brilliant live entertainment centre.

Paddington
another place that oozes hip and trendy, the main road through is Caxton st which becomes given terrace. Its full of Bohemian little cafes ,bistros, trendy shops and great pubs. all with live music. we had 2 great nights here
theres O'Leary's bar and the massive Caxton hotel with about 5 bars and dancing til late and just up the road the magnificent Paddo tavern, a big cowboy style pub with lovely barmaids in cowgirl hat, saddles for seats, a big pool hall and a great live music venue, and a little fibber Maggee's Irish at the side. magic. nearby the are are two similar trendy streets Nash street and park st full of great places for the ladies who like to lunch!

Ditto Bulimia and Hamilton which also have similar trendy eating and entertainment areas. Hamilton's racecourse rd looked fun on race day as everyone dresses up to go to the eagle farm racecourse at the top of the road on a regular basis.

My son was impressed that the stereophonics were on while we were there and the bravery and Oasis are coming soon

The wife thought it was great that she could see big London shows at the southbank, Saturday night fever and queen tribute, its a kind of magic were both showing amongst others.

everyone is sports mad every bar or cafe has a big screen showing AFL, Rugby league and Union. The sports stadiums are awesome, we visited the sun corp, ballymore and gabba, and I will look forward to watching many games of cricket, rugby and maybe even soccer as the new season is about to get under way with a new league.
There's no excuse for sitting around the house, when theres so much going on in town. there was forthcoming writers, music and film festivals over the next few weeks so I cant wait to get back there now and join in.

Old Jul 13th 2005, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

coventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud ofcoventrycelt has much to be proud of

Hi Briz, sadly I was'nt there 4 years ago and can only give an opinion, I did have a conversation with a couple there who said Brisbane folk now prefer the Valley due to the fact too many drunken out of town country types (their words) were using the town centre. Sadly the gentrification of an area rarely stands still, hence my reference to Greenwich Village, which is in a similar situation.
I cant imagine many city boy types drinking at the Indie temple eh!
Old Jul 13th 2005, 12:50 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I did have a conversation with a couple there who said Brisbane folk now prefer the Valley due to the fact too many drunken out of town country types (their words) were using the town centre.
Has Cresta been visiting Brisbane again? :scared:
Old Jul 15th 2005, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Has Cresta been visiting Brisbane again? :scared:
like it MrsDagboy.