Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane - Reccie Trip

Brisbane - Reccie Trip

Old Jul 15th 2005, 8:55 am
Just Joined

RollingStone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane - Reccie Trip

Just returned from reccie trip to Brisbane. Had a great time doing the usual touristy things, investigating job prospects, looking round areas to live etc.

We are now looking at completing on our house 1 September & then flying out straight after.
We really liked Bayside but I have some concerns over travel time into CBD from say Cleveland. We liked Samford but thought travel time may be excessive also.

We did not have time to look round "The Gap"area - does anyone have any info regarding what it is like, how good the schools are etc.

Overall we were very impressed with Brisbane - appeared clean, safe & friendly. The only down side of the holiday was when my 6 year old son broke his arm the day we were leaving for a week on the Sunshine Coast.

We are really looking forward to moving to Oz but we realise its going to be hard work. We would like to fix an area to settle in within a few weeks of arriving as I don't want to keep moving the kids around from school to school.

If anyone knows any short term accomodation in Bayside area (including Manly / Wynnum) or The Gap area it woyuld be most appreciated.

Cheers
Old Jul 15th 2005, 9:13 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: Brisbane - Reccie Trip

Originally Posted by RollingStone
Just returned from reccie trip to Brisbane. Had a great time doing the usual touristy things, investigating job prospects, looking round areas to live etc.

We are now looking at completing on our house 1 September & then flying out straight after.
We really liked Bayside but I have some concerns over travel time into CBD from say Cleveland. We liked Samford but thought travel time may be excessive also.

We did not have time to look round "The Gap"area - does anyone have any info regarding what it is like, how good the schools are etc.

Overall we were very impressed with Brisbane - appeared clean, safe & friendly. The only down side of the holiday was when my 6 year old son broke his arm the day we were leaving for a week on the Sunshine Coast.

We are really looking forward to moving to Oz but we realise its going to be hard work. We would like to fix an area to settle in within a few weeks of arriving as I don't want to keep moving the kids around from school to school.

If anyone knows any short term accomodation in Bayside area (including Manly / Wynnum) or The Gap area it woyuld be most appreciated.

Cheers
Sorry to hear about your poor son Hope he's feeling OK.

Glad you enjoyed your time in Brisbane. We rented initially and found the Real Estate sites are as good as anywhere to check out rental places

Unfortunatly I don't have any site address's as my PC recently had a virus and everything was wiped off. Just key onto Google "Real Estate Wynnum/Manly Brisbane Australia " and something will come up.

Good luck!

Old Jul 15th 2005, 9:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Check out ABC Diamond's web site - loads of info there. Also try baysidebrits forum. Everyone there either lives in that area or is planning to.

http://s6.invisionfree.com/BrisbaneBaysideBrits/

http://www.abcdiamond.com.au/newcomers.htm
Old Jul 15th 2005, 9:26 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Check out ABC Diamond's web site - loads of info there. Also try baysidebrits forum. Everyone there either lives in that area or is planning to.

http://s6.invisionfree.com/BrisbaneBaysideBrits/

http://www.abcdiamond.com.au/newcomers.htm

www.seqrents.com.au does short term furnished and unfurnished rentals - they're like realestate.com but for rentals it stands for south-east-queensland rentals.

good luck.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 9:40 am
ABCDiamond

Cheers
How short term are you looking at ?

Did you do the Cleveland to City trip on the train when you were here, or were you looking at driving ?

http://www.destinationbrisbane.com.au/ does accommodation at $500 - $600 per week furnished with frills, in this area. Most furnished places, for just a few weeks, are about double the unfurnished rate for normal 6/12 month rentals.

Old Jul 15th 2005, 9:53 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

FYI The cleveland - CBD ( Central ) train is regular as clockwork its not really over crowded and in the morning you always get a seat because you are at start of line, and on way home you can fall asleep because they throw you off at clevelend ;-)

its 8.40$ per day , it takes 44 minutes if you get the 0726 express (or earlier) and takes 55-59 minutes if you take the later ones. They run every 10 mins or so.

Worst thing I found out was no eating/drinking on train and nowher to get coffee or a newspaper at 0726 in cleveland ! Argh!. So I get the later one ;-) Oh and they ARE air-conditioned.

Its quite painless with an mp3 player or book to block out the other gnumans for the duration. There are lots of stops in the city so you'll be sure to be near to your work at one of them. Parking at the station is free and they have bike lockers.

http://www.citytrain.com.au/plan_you...able_fares.asp

will help you out - you are looking at clevelend -> Central & vice-versa.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 10:03 am
Just Joined

RollingStone is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info.

I was looking at driving into Brisbane but will seriously look at the traing service.
We would be looking for about 2 weeks short term accomodation until we really narrow down the areas we like & then rent unfurnished. It's difficult to know where to settle when you first get there but I think if we like the feel of a place we will just go for it & if it doesn't work out we can look elsewhere.

Cheers
Old Jul 15th 2005, 10:09 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks for the info.

I was looking at driving into Brisbane but will seriously look at the traing service.
We would be looking for about 2 weeks short term accomodation until we really narrow down the areas we like & then rent unfurnished. It's difficult to know where to settle when you first get there but I think if we like the feel of a place we will just go for it & if it doesn't work out we can look elsewhere.

Cheers
The train from Cleveland is worth considering, but for some driving ideas, look at this: Driving times to Brisbane CBD

The train fares are cheaper with Weekly / Monthly tickets etc.

$42.00 per week buying daily tickets
or
$33.60 per week paid Weekly
$31.02 per week paid Monthly
$28.43 per week paid Three Monthly
$27.14 per week paid Six Monthly
$25.85 per week paid Twelve Monthly