Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne or Perth

Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne or Perth

Old Aug 22nd 2004, 11:57 pm
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice
Default Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne or Perth

So, which is the favourite brit destination? If all all goes well with the application I fancy Brisbane - not quite sure why I think its just that feeling. Although my main points are weather and Rugby. Yes I know its not much to go on - but what made everyone else decide on their destination in Oz?
I must admit I like the look of Perth, I just get the feeling that its in the middle of nowwhere (thats probably because it is!!) I dont know what everyone elses feelings are as I am new to the forum but do you not feel isolated living out there on the west side of Oz all by yourself?
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 12:10 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne or Perth

Originally Posted by frogboy
So, which is the favourite brit destination? If all all goes well with the application I fancy Brisbane - not quite sure why I think its just that feeling. Although my main points are weather and Rugby. Yes I know its not much to go on - but what made everyone else decide on their destination in Oz?
I must admit I like the look of Perth, I just get the feeling that its in the middle of nowwhere (thats probably because it is!!) I dont know what everyone elses feelings are as I am new to the forum but do you not feel isolated living out there on the west side of Oz all by yourself?
No, but if I lived in the eastern states, I'd feel isolated from WA!
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 12:30 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Nah the other 1,999,999 people keep me company.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 12:36 am
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by renth
No, but if I lived in the eastern states, I'd feel isolated from WA!
I dont know where you are from in the UK, but us northerners do tend to feel isolated from London - everything revolves around london - national sports stadium, parliment, James Bond!!! In Australia it is such a vast country, Perth is a very long way away from the east coast citys - do you not feel that everything eveolves around that part of the country?
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 12:42 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont know where you are from in the UK, but us northerners do tend to feel isolated from London - everything revolves around london - national sports stadium, parliment, James Bond!!! In Australia it is such a vast country, Perth is a very long way away from the east coast citys - do you not feel that everything eveolves around that part of the country?
You've got whippets and flat caps, what else do ya want ya ungrateful bunch o coalminers.

Back to the OP. May I suggest Auburn, Lakemba, Punchbowl or Cabramatta.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 12:47 am
Here At Last!!

Originally Posted by bondipom
You've got whippets and flat caps, what else do ya want ya ungrateful bunch o coalminers.

Back to the OP. May I suggest Auburn, Lakemba, Punchbowl or Cabramatta.
Oi thats Yorkshire - I from Lancashire - we only have the coal mines here - Fashion here hasn't caught onto flat caps yet - And a Whippet, what use is that!!!! We use pit bulls to chase them fury critters!!!!!!!
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 1:25 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Rugby League or Union? Perth has no Super 12 or League teams. With weather do you know what it is like to work in 40C heat and high humidity or is that what you want to avoid.?

You strike me as someone who wants to leave the UK rather than know why they want to go to Australia. Do you know the availabiliy of your work in each state? Where have you been in Australia?

Perth's isolation maybe what you are after. Maybe just a change of scene and job in Britain may sort you.

Maybe you just want to try to give something new a go. All I can say is British immigration policy is not a great reason to leave as policy changes as quick as governments.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 6:41 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

So, which is the favourite brit destination? If all all goes well with the application I fancy Brisbane - not quite sure why I think its just that feeling. Although my main points are weather and Rugby.
If it's Rugby you're after, then it will have to be Sydney or Brisbane - or, rather, NSW or Queensland. (Even in NSW, Rugby tends to start to give way to Australian Rules when you get near to the Victorian border.)

Personally, I'd say that Sydney has more to offer than Brisbane, both in terms of opportunities and lifestyle, although it has more of the disadvantages of a big city too (traffic - not as bad as London, but still bad -, general congestion, higher house prices).