sydney suburbs

Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

samjam will become famous soon enoughsamjam will become famous soon enough
Default sydney suburbs

looking to move to sydney with my family and need some info on Paramatta and penrith.Just wondering what these places are like and if suitable for a family,or can anyone suggest a better suburb Cheers
Old Sep 4th 2003, 12:49 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

do a search for user named 'sue and ian'...they live in paramatta and may be able to give you some advice!!
Old Sep 4th 2003, 1:00 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default Re: sydney suburbs

Originally posted by samjam
looking to move to sydney with my family and need some info on Paramatta and penrith.Just wondering what these places are like and if suitable for a family,or can anyone suggest a better suburb Cheers
Lived in paramatta for 6 months, would never recommend it. Penrith is ok and getting more towards the bottom of the Blue Mountains. If i had to commute to the city would consider the Mountains it is a beautiful place and in winter you have log fires burning. Nice city to see but nice to get right out of it. Paramatta really is not on my list of places I like and have seen a lot of Oz and areas.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:16 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

From several posts and personal visits Paramatta is on the way down as the place of choice for family living. Going a little further out will pay dividends - the train to Sydney is still good if you actually need to get into the town centre Campbelltown is another large town to steer clear of for living - good for shopping though!!
Old Sep 4th 2003, 5:45 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

spent some time there in paramatta in 94.for family it would not be a great choice.agree totally with the idea of looking to the mountains-rail is quite good /housing more affordable to rent or buy.you are a matter of minutes from some of the most beautiful sights that are on offer outside of the coastal areas.and the areas for kids to play in etc are so much more plentiful
Old Sep 4th 2003, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for your replys.Ive lived in sydney before ,in the centre on george street and further out in Dapto near Wollongong,but my wife has been offered jobs around parramatta and the blue mountain.The main thing is is that I dont want to be finding myself in the slums of sydney cause im going to have to rent first.Me ,my wife and 4 kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 4th 2003, 6:11 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

am sure you have already checked it out but here is :

http://www.domain.com.au/

looking at WA myself but still marvel at the price jump over the last 6 years+ in Sydney.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 11:46 pm
Carol in Oz

Penrith and Parramatta ok for working and shopping but to live there - I wouldnt recommend either really. If I HAD to chose then Penrith would be the choice as someone here has already mentioned its at the foothills of the Blue Mountains. Lots of new homes being built there.

Do not recommend the western suburbs of Sydney AT ALL. Definately stay away from the likes of Bankstown, Punchbowl, Liverpool, Cabramatta, Fairfield. Reasons for this is gang culture and crime in some of these places. Dont like Campbelltown either but further out is ok but then you are about 1 hour from Sydney.
Carol

Old Sep 5th 2003, 3:35 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Penrith World of Adventures

A very bizarre experience is Penrith Panthers World of Adventure. Basically a huge place to gamble in a sullen environment. There is also aqua golf and a Rugby league club attached.

Penrith also appears to be the home of the Mullet driving a ute with a beer in hand and wearing flanno type.

Parramatta has the highest car theft rate in Sydney and is also good for mullet spotting.

If you live in either place you will be a Westie.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a tricky one if you are looking for an easy commute into Parramatta. As per much of the response, I would avoid a lot of the Western Suburbs. In your position, I would perhaps consider Pennant Hills, Beecroft or Castle Hill suburbs for the following reasons: 1) They are close enough to Parramatta to commute by car, 2) They are on the Cityrail Northern line, so if your job location changes to something closer to the CBD, you would still have a good option to get you into town and 3) Good access to decent schools, either state or private.

Living in the Blue Mountains would be nice, but I would be put off because of 1) Long commute into Parramatta, and even longer if you are going to CBD and 2) It’s a bit chilly in winter (nice in summer though, always a bit cooler).

Would maybe consider Richmond, but only because it brings back fond memories of the time I spent in Richmond, Surrey and absolutely no basis for a logical decision on the subject! I have never actually been to Richmond NSW.

Just my personal opinion bear in mind. Each to their own. Please don’t shout at me!

Last edited by dracupg; Sep 5th 2003 at 4:47 am.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 4:55 am

An up and coming suburb on the edge of the mountains is Springwood. I work in Auburn which is slightly east of Parramatta and plenty of people like living there. It is all motorway from penrith to concord although there is a toll at Silverwater.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

ive been looking aound the blue mountains on various websites and it certainly looks like a place id like to live.We arnt too fussy about the cooler weather(Live in north England at the moment!!)just looking for quietish place for young family to grow up in,not too isolated.but I suppose until we find out where my wife wil be working etc then we can just research a few different places,although i gather from your replys that some of these suburbs are well worth staying away from,thats what I need to know Cheers.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 6:40 am

Another problem with the Western Suburbs is the heat in Summer. A few days last year the mercury topped 45C. Bondi was a relatively pleasant 40C.

The mountains are nice but lack in frequent public transport and the bush fire problems must be considered.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

unrefined_mind is on a distinguished road

A good friend of mine lived in Kurrajong for 5 years, not far from towns of Richmond and Windsor, and these towns and the foothills of the Blue Mountains are fabulous, His wife was in RAAF so airbase just down the road for her, but he was working in city, the commuting to and from seemed to be getting worse and worse, the drive is a nightmare - like the lottery - will it take an hour or three tonight to get home? in the end he stayed in the city a few nights a week, all ended in tears this year, now divorced.

Don’t know what the moral is here, but I saw first hand the stress of that kind of commuting can do if you work in the CBD, I am unable to comment on the transport system to the city and most certainly wouldn’t be an option for me. Fantastic place if are working local or retired, and just want to get to the city by train at weekends.

Agree with Carol, I think once you head down that Parramatta road to districts such as Granville, Parramatta, Bankstown etc - you are in some dodgy areas, Lebanese gangs will have you stripped of your wallet before you could blink…..

Regards
UM
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:13 am
Just Joined

Mubo_Guy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Carol_in Oz
Do not recommend the western suburbs of Sydney AT ALL. Definately stay away from the likes of Bankstown, Punchbowl, Liverpool, Cabramatta, Fairfield. Reasons for this is gang culture and crime in some of these places. Carol
I don't entirely agree with this. I live near Liverpool in a great suburb and we have never had any problems with crime or gangs personally and don't know many in this area that do. It's mostly media hype. Lots of young families live out this way who are renovating or even bull dozing old houses and rebuilding new ones on old blocks.
Basically yes there are some bad surburbs in the West but there are also very nice ones, you just have to know where to look. The attractiveness of the West is the relative affordability compared to the rest of the city. Also there have been some good infrastructure changes such as new motorways into the city and improved train services etc.

But agree about the temperatures though - lots of 40 degree days!

Rachael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.