British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Brisbane and surrounds, meet up 10th November (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/brisbane-surrounds-meet-up-10th-november-484250/)

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer Sep 29th 2007 7:49 am

Brisbane and surrounds, meet up 10th November

OK, here goes - I am going to attempt to arrange a meet up!! :eek:

We are Rob 34 and Caroline 27. We have been in Oz for 4 weeks now and have settled into a lovely unit in Redcliffe, just North of Brisbane. The only thing missing is a social life! :(

We would love to meet up with others in the same boat for a drink and a chat.....

We are open to ideas on where and when but thought that for a starters, a Sunday would be good!

As a suggestion, Redcliffe itself is fab on a weekend. Beaches and parks a plenty and generally a nice place to 'get away from it all'!

So...who's up for it?

Pollyana Sep 29th 2007 8:49 am

Re: Brisbane and surrounds, meet up early October.

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 5367157)

We are Rob 34 and Caroline 27. We have been in Oz for 4 weeks now and have settled into a lovely unit in Redcliffe, just North of Brisbane. The only thing missing is a social life! :(

We would love to meet up with others in the same boat for a drink and a chat.....

We are open to ideas on where and when but thought that for a starters, a Sunday would be good!

As a suggestion, Redcliffe itself is fab on a weekend. Beaches and parks a plenty and generally a nice place to 'get away from it all'!

So...who's up for it?

Have you visited the Belvedere, Woody Point - we've had a few meets there, good food, beer, atmosphere, OK for kids - perhaps try for somehting there soon....

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer Sep 29th 2007 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5367289)
Have you visited the Belvedere, Woody Point - we've had a few meets there, good food, beer, atmosphere, OK for kids - perhaps try for somehting there soon....

Have driven past it. Shall have to inspect further ;)

Pollyana Sep 29th 2007 11:52 am

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 5367299)
Have driven past it. Shall have to inspect further ;)

Well worth a visit, good atmosphere and we've had three or four meets there. :)

superchick Sep 29th 2007 10:07 pm

some mums and there kids are meeting at Shorncliffe on Tuesday at around 1030. You are very welcome to join us.

Croweater Oct 2nd 2007 10:30 am

Hi,

We haven't been to any meets but I know that there is another lot of expats that meet in the Pig and Whistle pub (Eagle Street Pier) in the city every month or so. If you type Brisbane British Club into google it should come up.

Have fun!

Pollyana Oct 2nd 2007 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5367639)
Well worth a visit, good atmosphere and we've had three or four meets there. :)

What d'you reckon then Fluffy? pick a date........
Try and avoid the weekend when some Scottish bloke is having a meet down the Gold Coast though :D

sarahl322 Oct 3rd 2007 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5378069)
What d'you reckon then Fluffy? pick a date........
Try and avoid the weekend when some Scottish bloke is having a meet down the Gold Coast though :D

Hi, We have been in Brisbane for 4 weeks now, me, hubby and daughter and are up for a meet. We are in Aspley.

Let us know when and where.

Cheers, Sarah

samnsam Oct 4th 2007 5:15 am

Hiya we are at Ningi but willing to travel to Redcliffe for a meet, weve been here for 9 weeks now so would love to meet up with some other BE addicts. there's me and OH and 3 kids ages 10 11 and 12
Sam

scotfree Oct 6th 2007 11:31 pm

Hi would like to attend the meet, when its been decided, also would like to contact Samnsam, as we live in Ningi as well. Thanks Scotfree.

232Bar Oct 7th 2007 8:24 am

No chance you can make it a Saturday instead of Sunday. Can't have a good sesh if I have to get up for work on the Monday :( Not that I ever drink much anyway ;)

Pollyana Oct 7th 2007 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by 232Bar (Post 5396662)
No chance you can make it a Saturday instead of Sunday. Can't have a good sesh if I have to get up for work on the Monday :( Not that I ever drink much anyway ;)

Haven't you heard of the ancient Aussie tradition "the Sickie"........a game usually played on Monday mornings......:D

ragner Oct 8th 2007 11:22 am

Originally Posted by 232Bar (Post 5396662)

I second that Sat is better gives us Sun to get over it.
you don't drink much.............eeerrrmmm.................yeh right.Thats as close to the truth as Australia winning the 2007 Rugby world Cup,oh i'm sorry I almost forgot England knocked them out.

JamesAndLouise Oct 11th 2007 5:31 am

Hi Guys,

We are in Cashmere, been here for about 5 months now and up for a meet, can easily come over to Redcliffe or wherever. Theres Me (34) Louise (33) and Harvey (5).

Just give us a date.

Cheers

James

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer Oct 11th 2007 5:52 am

Hmmmm, seems like there is some interest after all! :)

Was holding off responding in case no-one else did! :rofl:

OK, folks.......

Lets make it, the weekend after Soapy's bash in GC on the 27th - the Saturday is good. How's that sound?

Open to all suggestions on a location - obviously somewhere kiddy friendly would be good. :eek:

Let us know your thoughts........

Chocolate_Teapot Oct 11th 2007 7:20 am

Looks really like a couple of options to me:

Decker parks great for meets (need to get there early though) there was a recent one there with Superchick and Maverick in attendance.

The Woody Point pub (the Belvedere) as usual.

Or maybe the lagoon at Redcliffe although thats an alcohol free zone now :sneaky:

Maybe another considerations is time - lunch till lates.....!

Cheers,

Carl

bobbyftm Oct 11th 2007 12:13 pm

Are any of these places you're thinking about accessible by train for us long hauliers who dont want to drink drive but would love to join in !!

Pollyana Oct 11th 2007 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by bobbyftm (Post 5412709)
Are any of these places you're thinking about accessible by train for us long hauliers who dont want to drink drive but would love to join in !!

Train runs to Shorncliff/Sandgate, which are just south of the Hornibrook Bridge - you'd then need to get a taxi or bus across the bridge and up to the pub/lagoon wherever.

232Bar Oct 11th 2007 10:20 pm

Drop the car at our place and I'll take one of ours down there then we can jump a taxi back.

232Bar Oct 11th 2007 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Chocolate_Teapot (Post 5411757)
Looks really like a couple of options to me:

Decker parks great for meets (need to get there early though) there was a recent one there with Superchick and Maverick in attendance.

The Woody Point pub (the Belvedere) as usual.

Or maybe the lagoon at Redcliffe although thats an alcohol free zone now :sneaky:

Maybe another considerations is time - lunch till lates.....!

Cheers,

Carl

Decker Park?? is that a pub??

Redclife lagoon - alcohol free totally rules that out if Polly is coming :rofl:

And we always do 'lunch-ish until last man stands' anyway. The last one was 12:30pm until 3:30am - just ask Bobby - he saw (almost) every minute of it.

Pollyana Oct 12th 2007 2:03 am

Originally Posted by 232Bar (Post 5415220)
Decker Park?? is that a pub??

Redclife lagoon - alcohol free totally rules that out if Polly is coming :rofl:

And we always do 'lunch-ish until last man stands' anyway. The last one was 12:30pm until 3:30am - just ask Bobby - he saw (almost) every minute of it.

How do you know I haven't signed the Pledge?! ;)

spartacus Oct 12th 2007 2:33 am

By that's a mighty flag bobby!

Got one the same stuck to my Magna's back window.

Andy

samnsam Oct 12th 2007 3:31 am

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 5415605)

Andy

We are still up for the meet, will keep on checking.
if you need to add names to the list here is our lot

Sam
Steve
Jack 12
Lily 11
Harley 10

bethandneil Oct 12th 2007 6:59 am

hi

we would be up for a meet, we are beth, neil, ben (4) and milly (2), we are in carindale, is there a date yet?

Beth:)

bobbyftm Oct 12th 2007 7:10 am

Originally Posted by 232Bar (Post 5415210)
Drop the car at our place and I'll take one of ours down there then we can jump a taxi back.

Cheers mate will do thanks if you dont mind (providing it's a saturday as sunday's probably a no goer as well due to work)

bobbyftm Oct 12th 2007 7:21 am

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 5415605)

Andy

Flying a bit inefficiently at the moment mate:unsure:

netty Oct 12th 2007 8:20 am

Bobby will you be sober by then after GC meet.
Paul

bobbyftm Oct 12th 2007 8:23 am

Originally Posted by netty (Post 5416105)
Bobby will you be sober by then after GC meet.
Paul

Well apparently what makes you bad makes you better so i've heard !:sneaky:

andicee Oct 12th 2007 10:22 am

Originally Posted by bobbyftm (Post 5415963)
Flying a bit inefficiently at the moment mate:unsure:

The Gooners had mercy on you last week. Thought it was gonna get embarrassing. Fair play tho.

andicee Oct 12th 2007 10:24 am

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer (Post 5367157)

So...who's up for it?

Wassap mate, our meet-ups too tame for you...or too heavy???

bobbyftm Oct 13th 2007 5:34 am

Originally Posted by andicee (Post 5416372)
The Gooners had mercy on you last week. Thought it was gonna get embarrassing. Fair play tho.

Fair dinkum mate you won !Good match to watch from a neutral point of view ! Pity i'm not neutral damn it !!:(

Chocolate_Teapot Oct 15th 2007 4:24 am

Did a date get decided?
Obviously not early October........!

Pollyana Oct 15th 2007 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Chocolate_Teapot (Post 5425821)
Did a date get decided?
Obviously not early October........!

Think the last suggestion was for the Saturday after Soapy's Gold Coast do (as some of us are hoping to make that) - that'd make it Sat November 3rd.
Just need to decide on a venue now - a park without alcohol, or a pub with alcohol. Not having kids my choice would be obvious (!!) but I'll go along with the majority..........:)

232Bar Oct 15th 2007 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5426143)
Think the last suggestion was for the Saturday after Soapy's Gold Coast do (as some of us are hoping to make that) - that'd make it Sat November 3rd.
Just need to decide on a venue now - a park without alcohol, or a pub with alcohol. Not having kids my choice would be obvious (!!) but I'll go along with the majority..........:)

Can't make the 3rd - but don't let that stop the rest of you ;)

kel76 Oct 16th 2007 10:36 am

Hello

Am brand new to this site and new to replying to forums, but this one caught my eye. My boyf (27) and i (31) live in morningside. He's been here since june and i came out here in july (i'm a primary teacher - and that's a whole other story on another thread!)

I love being out here but am really missing having a social life. He plays football on a friday for the pig and whistle team so have met people down there. We went to redcliffe last w/e for a massive cycle ride and it looked like a great place to meet people and hang out. where are you meeting?

Pollyana Oct 24th 2007 8:44 am

OK, the thread seems to have ground to a halt so I'm gonna stick my neck out and suggest

SATURDAY 10th NOVEMBER

BELVEDERE at WOODY POINT

Anytime from 1pm onwards.

http://www.belvederehotel.com.au/about.cfm

It's a child friendly pub, does food, does good beer.
For more info, search the Meet Up forum for previous threads!!
Directions are here -

(I was tempted to pick November 3rd, but the Bloke said it would be unfair if Mr 232bar couldn't come.....:eek:)

Everyone welcome, doesn't matter if you're a Brit or not, doesn't matter if you want to bring non-BE posters, we're not proud, we'll drink with anyone!

Anyone up for it......??? :beer:

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer Oct 24th 2007 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5460747)
OK, the thread seems to have ground to a halt so I'm gonna stick my neck out and suggest

SATURDAY 10th NOVEMBER

BELVEDERE at WOODY POINT

Anytime from 1pm onwards.

http://www.belvederehotel.com.au/about.cfm

It's a child friendly pub, does food, does good beer.
For more info, search the Meet Up forum for previous threads!!
Directions are here -

(I was tempted to pick November 3rd, but the Bloke said it would be unfair if Mr 232bar couldn't come.....:eek:)

Everyone welcome, doesn't matter if you're a Brit or not, doesn't matter if you want to bring non-BE posters, we're not proud, we'll drink with anyone!

Anyone up for it......??? :beer:

Sounds good Polly..... shall we start a list?

Oh and for any (alright.....ALL) you drinkers out there, the Seabrae hotel in Redcliffe is closing on Friday. They are knocking out cartons of whatever you fancy for half price at the most!
Got meself a slab of Tooheys Old for $25 this arvo!!! :thumbsup::beer:

ragner Oct 24th 2007 10:31 am

Originally Posted by bobbyftm (Post 5419622)
Fair dinkum mate you won !Good match to watch from a neutral point of view ! Pity i'm not neutral damn it !!:(

Sorry to to go off the thread ,but bobby me old mate i couldn't resist...............3-1 to the cockney boys .......COME ON YOU IRONS!!!!!!!

Pollyana Oct 24th 2007 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by ragner (Post 5461116)
Sorry to to go off the thread ,but bobby me old mate i couldn't resist...............3-1 to the cockney boys .......COME ON YOU IRONS!!!!!!!

Never mind the football, are you coming out drinking?? :D

soapy© Oct 25th 2007 4:56 am

i will try to get there guys, but i will need to check with pauline to see if we have anything on;)