Hi,

What would you say about the following suburbs:

Carseldine
Fitzgibbon
Aspley
Bald Hills?
Old Dec 15th 2007, 5:35 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane suburbs, worst and best

Sorry - I didn't mean to offend !!
I'm sure we would hit it off fine, too... I just disagreed with the way in which you define a suburb as expensive thats all.... I was being sarcastic earlier, just a bit of banter.

If you are talking about suburbs that are expensive and close to the city, I just don't think you can include Ferny Grove!!!

Ferny Grove is right on the edge of the north-west Brisbane suburban sprawl...head further northwest and you've got fields, forest and samford. North-east of Ferny Grove, you're coming out of Brisbane and getting into Strathpine. That's why I don't reckon its close to the city. There are plenty of suburbs that are close...but not Ferny grove.

But I guess that it is just a matter of opinion and scale. If I lived in Dayboro, I reckon that I probably would consider Ferny Grove to be close to the city...

As for the price, well I think Ferny Grove is one of the best value suburbs in Brisbane, I've been looking at it for a while now. There's always good houses available there for between $350 and $450k....Not sure where you have been looking. Try looking at actual sales data, not asking prices.

Your example about the 4 * $1.5m and 30 * $300k, illustrates the point I was making, mate !! That's why median is used, and not mean. Using the mean gives a false impression that the suburb is more "exxy" than it is.

Getting back to the point of the thread though, I reckon Ferny Grove is one of Brisbane's better suburbs.... I wouldn't say it is too expensive or close to the city, but that's just my opinion.

Have a good one Timber Floor Au - no offence meant mate, honest.
Mark

ps - I just tried to edit my earlier post, as it does sound rude not sarcastic. But it wouldn't let me.

Last edited by asprilla; Dec 15th 2007 at 5:38 am.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 9:40 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
Sorry - I didn't mean to offend !!
I'm sure we would hit it off fine, too... I just disagreed with the way in which you define a suburb as expensive thats all.... I was being sarcastic earlier, just a bit of banter.

If you are talking about suburbs that are expensive and close to the city, I just don't think you can include Ferny Grove!!!

Ferny Grove is right on the edge of the north-west Brisbane suburban sprawl...head further northwest and you've got fields, forest and samford. North-east of Ferny Grove, you're coming out of Brisbane and getting into Strathpine. That's why I don't reckon its close to the city. There are plenty of suburbs that are close...but not Ferny grove.

But I guess that it is just a matter of opinion and scale. If I lived in Dayboro, I reckon that I probably would consider Ferny Grove to be close to the city...

As for the price, well I think Ferny Grove is one of the best value suburbs in Brisbane, I've been looking at it for a while now. There's always good houses available there for between $350 and $450k....Not sure where you have been looking. Try looking at actual sales data, not asking prices.

Your example about the 4 * $1.5m and 30 * $300k, illustrates the point I was making, mate !! That's why median is used, and not mean. Using the mean gives a false impression that the suburb is more "exxy" than it is.

Getting back to the point of the thread though, I reckon Ferny Grove is one of Brisbane's better suburbs.... I wouldn't say it is too expensive or close to the city, but that's just my opinion.

Have a good one Timber Floor Au - no offence meant mate, honest.
Mark

ps - I just tried to edit my earlier post, as it does sound rude not sarcastic. But it wouldn't let me.

Good onya mate and i totally bloody agree with you. No offence taken, as I normally would get my back up lol.

Must be my age !!
Old Dec 15th 2007, 10:57 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

and have a happy xmas too matey.

cheers !
Old Dec 15th 2007, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

stickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant future

Dear all

Did not relise i would get this sort of reaction to my question!! but cheers for the info all the same.

regards

Jo
Old Dec 15th 2007, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jessy69
Moving to Brisbane, which are the areas to avoid and which are the most pleasant to live?
The problem with the question is that Brisbane's a big sprawling place. You'd need to live here donkeys years to have any idea of all it has to offer. Like any big city many of its suburbs just bleed into one another, and some of those further afield aren't even officially part of it. All of which can lead to generalisations and hear-say being passed off as fact.

So for the OP's benefit I thought I'd give the pros and cons of my own suburb.

Suburd: Bellbowrie.
Location: Out west along the Moggill Road about 20ks from the CBD.
Duration: 8 months
Geographical description: The Bellbowrie / Moggill area is pretty much an autonomous state, bounded to the south , east and west by the river and to the north by acreage property, horse paddocks and bush. There's about an 8km drive to Kenmore before Brisbane starts proper, up until then its pretty much 'the countryside'; hills and 'mountains' lots of trees.
Commute: By car to the CBD, takes on average 45-60 minutes, a journey I do daily.
Public transport: Bus (444) end of the route so always get a seat. 75 minutes to CBD in peak time. Over the Moggill ferry for access to trains to the CBD from Riverview (30-45 minutes depending on service).

The pros:
- Very much a family area.
- Good sense of community. Plenty of expats (of every denomination) which helps with the community feel.
- Led to believe it has the lowest insurance rates in Brisbane metro area.
- Reasonably priced housing. With a fair bit of variety.
- Good schools. Moggill SS, for kids up to year 7. School bus run for older kids to Kenmore High (good rep) and plenty of very good private in the vicintiy. My eldest's away to Ipswich Grammar for the first time on the bus after the turn of the year; West Moreton Anglican College complete with its own farm and agric. classes; St. Edmonds; Ipswich Girls Grammar.
- Good local shopping centre for all your basics; Coles, deli, veg, hairdressers, Liquor Land, chippy, pizza etc. Local gym, public swimming pool.
- Excellent parks.
- Anstead reserve for a walk through the bush.
- Bellbowrie sports and rec club. Just been refurbished, nice deck to watch over the kids as they play in the local soccer / cricket teams.
- Loads of local clubs for the kids. Art / dance / soccer / rugby etc.

The cons:
- To be honest just the commute. Further out than I'd ideally like, but if we were any further in we'd lose many of the pros above.
- No restaurants / nightlife / cinema locally, all a drive into Kenmore or Indooroopilly, 10-15 minute drive on a night.

Good / better / best suburb? No idea.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by spartacus; Dec 15th 2007 at 7:44 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:33 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Thats very true, the apartment living trendy types in the city would probably think Ferny Grove was bush

Originally Posted by markallwood
Old Dec 18th 2007, 1:37 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jessy69
I don't want to live near any nightclubs, etc. Just going on crime levels I guess, don't want to live where houses get robbed and cars stolen, etc.
Well there ya go.....here's some fresh stats for ya!

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...5-3102,00.html