Reload this Page >

Brisbane Suburbs

Brisbane Suburbs

Old Oct 5th 2006, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

emmas123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Brisbane Suburbs

Hi

We are moving to Brisbane 9th october after two years of agony waiting for paperwork, selling house the usual ordeal. Can't actually believe the time has come to leave. I am moving with my husband and two children aged 6 and 9.
The age old question arises which suburb which school for kids. With 4 days to go and without ever going to oz I am still none the wiser even with all the research i've been doing over the internet. There is nothing like experience!!

So areas we have been advised so far are Carindale (south/bayside), Manly, Wellington point and redcliffe I have been told is very nice. I want to be governed by good schools and a little life for us parents!!!!!! If anyone can help with some real life advise it would be much appreciated.
Can't wiat to get there especially looking at the gloomy grey clouds outside my window!!

Emma
Old Oct 5th 2006, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane Suburbs

Originally Posted by emmas123
Hi

We are moving to Brisbane 9th october after two years of agony waiting for paperwork, selling house the usual ordeal. Can't actually believe the time has come to leave. I am moving with my husband and two children aged 6 and 9.
The age old question arises which suburb which school for kids. With 4 days to go and without ever going to oz I am still none the wiser even with all the research i've been doing over the internet. There is nothing like experience!!

So areas we have been advised so far are Carindale (south/bayside), Manly, Wellington point and redcliffe I have been told is very nice. I want to be governed by good schools and a little life for us parents!!!!!! If anyone can help with some real life advise it would be much appreciated.
Can't wiat to get there especially looking at the gloomy grey clouds outside my window!!

Emma
Once you arrive and visit suburbs you will find an area that feels right. We spent the first few days just driving round and looking at areas, and once we got to Wellington Point, we knew it was for us. Can't tell you why we came to that decision, it just felt right.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 11:22 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Emma
Hi.

We live in Carina, which is very close to Carindale and we like it here. Where we live (at the moment) is quite leafy as we live next-door to Tingalpa Park but living in the burbs can mean that you are surrounded by a lot of other houses. On the up side, I still think that there is a sufficient degree of "leafy-ness" even in the burbs to make them nice to live in (try to compare it to somewhere like Ealing or Harlsden (London) and you will find a world of difference between them). We are also very close to Minnipa Park, which is quite big and has parks and cycle tracks (and brown snakes alas). All in all, it's a really, really nice piece of parkland.

The thing is, that there are a fair few variables to think about. For example, if you or your husband end up working in the CBD and need to take (say) the Wynnum Road to work, then it is quite possible that you'll get stuck in traffic on most mornings. The traffic on Tuesday and Wednesday morning was horrific and ground to a halt on Story Bridge (one of two major bridges leading into the CBD).

Conversely, Carina/Carindale are well situated and they seem equi-distant to most things and places. Wynnum (coast) is 15 minutes away and so is the city. Manly is nice and it seems like a very quite and peaceful place (nice Fish and Chip shop just near the marina too) and prices there are apparently still relatively reasonable but the general anticipation (not withstanding interest rate hikes) is that property prices will continue to climb (which is normal I guess, given that 1,500 a week are supposed to be moving to Brisbane). Carindale shopping centre is quite impressive and you'll spoilt for choice when it comes to shopping.

I've heard of people being told to avoid moving to Cleveland but that Wellington Point is OK? The drive from the CBD to Cleveland on a bad traffic day is akin to a bad day on the M4, in my opinion. However, they have a very good train system here (the QR) and Cleveland is a terminus on it's own respective line, so there are alternative means of transport.

I can't really comment on schools (just yet) I'm afraid.

One thing I keep getting told repeatedly is to invest in a property (when the time comes to buy) that is no more than 12km's away from the CBD (in a given radius). I like Mango Hill but local people seem to think that the commute can be nightmarish and that the investment potential is nowhere as good as closer to the CBD.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 3:45 am
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough

Hi

Emma
Hi Emma

Throw a stick in Bulimba Park and you'll hit three Poms. It has a village feel (unlike most of Brisbane) so I guess us Brits feel at home there.

The advantages are that it's close to CBD and schools, has a City Cat stop, Riverbend bookshop and an old style cinema. The disadvantage is that it's not cheap...

Cheers

GLR
Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:22 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

I hear there’s an English guy who works at the Brisbane airport these days greeting new arrivals with “Welcome to my country”.

The same thing is going on at Heathrow, but the guy working there is Pakistani.

It’s a funny old world we live in.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 4:36 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GLR
Hi Emma

Throw a stick in Bulimba Park and you'll hit three Poms. It has a village feel (unlike most of Brisbane) so I guess us Brits feel at home there.

The advantages are that it's close to CBD and schools, has a City Cat stop, Riverbend bookshop and an old style cinema. The disadvantage is that it's not cheap...

Cheers

GLR
It begs the question, why do British people feel that a foreign place has to feel like "home" before they feel comfortable? Why not save a lot of time, money, effort and anxiety by simply staying at "home"?

The days of the Raj live on I guess?

Nothing personal, just an observation.
Old Oct 6th 2006, 5:18 am
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
It begs the question, why do British people feel that a foreign place has to feel like "home" before they feel comfortable? Why not save a lot of time, money, effort and anxiety by simply staying at "home"?

It’s happened here in Sydney in a big way in the past 20 years. Certain nationalities have taken over different pockets of the city. I guess people feel more comfortable living amongst their own – you know, same culture and values and all that.

Lets break it down,

The eye-talians in Leichardt, the Greeks around Brighton, the English in Manly/Bondi & the lower north shore, the Lebanese in Bankstown/Parramatta, And Asians, especially the Vietnamese around Cabramatta.

I guess the same is happening in Brisbane, on a smaller scale:

Asians have taken over Sunnybank, the Greeks/eye-talians in West End & surrounds and the Poms in Bayside & Northern Estates.

There aren’t many Lebanese to speak of in Brisbane yet, but I guess they’ll soon discover it. They could be coming to a suburb near you, look out. muuhaha

My observation of the Poms is that they love living anywhere near the water, be it by the beach, lake, river or harbour etc. They also infiltrate suburbs, which have certain exclusiveness about them (Mosman/Neutral bay etc).
Old Oct 6th 2006, 6:31 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MD09
<snip>My observation of the Poms is that they love living anywhere near the water, be it by the beach, lake, river or harbour etc. <snip>.
Unlike the Aussies, most of whom live in Alice Springs.

Mwhahahaha
Old Oct 6th 2006, 6:33 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Unlike the Aussies, most of whom live in Alice Springs.

Mwhahahaha
Don't get it?
Old Oct 7th 2006, 6:41 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK

Have to agree - why move over here just to go and live on a big housing estate (sorry, designed community) with a load of other Brits - seems odd to me.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Have to agree - why move over here just to go and live on a big housing estate (sorry, designed community) with a load of other Brits - seems odd to me.
maybe some like living like that live and let live
Old Oct 7th 2006, 9:47 am
ridiculous avatar

Jimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of light

Because it's so damn easy to live! especially raising a family. I can then retire anywhere I want.

Loving the designed community,

Vic's x
Old Oct 7th 2006, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jimmy Cliff
Because it's so damn easy to live! especially raising a family. I can then retire anywhere I want.

Loving the designed community,

Vic's x
well said mate
Old Oct 7th 2006, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Australians live in these private estates too, especially young families and those migrated from other states. I think you'll find majority of the residents are Aussies, not British.

Mrs JTL
Old Oct 7th 2006, 10:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Australians live in these private estates too, especially young families and those migrated from other states. I think you'll find majority of the residents are Aussies, not British.

Mrs JTL
Well one would hope so – this is “Australia” afterall.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.