Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane speeding fine

Brisbane speeding fine

Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:46 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Brisbane speeding fine

Originally Posted by aries
.... I think cameras do little to slow motorists if there is nothing in place to make them immediately aware of the offence. .....
Nah - they do.

They slow down LOCALS - who have learnt where the cameras are. If the local:visitor traffic ratio is high enough this will mean the general speed of traffic will be slowed down.

If however, the local:visitor ratio is too low, then the camera will do nothing to prevent quick driving in that location and visitors to the area will contribute to funds on a regular basis.

If you move house - its best to drive cautiously for 6 months until you learn where the cameras are and where the police like to park their mobile units. Once you've learnt the spots to pay attention to on your regular commute, drive to the shop etc etc - you can then re-commence 'normal' driving focusing on road conditions, regular safety habits, potential hazard awareness etc etc instead of focussing so heavily on potential camera locations!

Of course if the camera density nationwide is sufficiently high, then all motorists would be paranoid of cameras whenever in an unfamilar location and would drive appropriately cautiously. You could argue that since this doesnt seem to happen much, the camera density in Australia is not high enough to have an impact on driving speeds?
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

All very depressing, how anybody can enjoy driving that Aussie icon the ss is
beyond me.

Then again nobody here actually drives.

Last edited by neil248; Mar 12th 2013 at 10:10 am.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:14 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Mark213, the question as to whether speed limits are reasonable is a totally different ones. There are many laws that I disagree with, but I accept that they are laws made by a democratically elected government and that I can either abide by them or accept the consequences of breaking them.
"Democratically elected government"! Now there's a joke, Most Democratically elected governments get elected with very little over 50% of the electorate, So nearly half of the country did not elect the clowns in charge. Democracy is a joke to make the stupid population 'think' they actually had a say in what goes on whilst plying corrupt politicians with hard earned tax payers money. (Oh and the proceeds from speeding fines!).
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:15 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil248
All very depressing, how anybody can enjoy driving that Aussie icon the ss is
beyond me.

Then again nobody here actually drives.
You should visit Taree where half the driving population doesn't know which way to drive around a roundabout!