Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Schools

Brisbane Schools

Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

iddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane Schools

Anyone dare to stick their neck out and give me the top three (in their opinion) coed christian private schools in the Brisbane areas?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 10:00 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane Schools

Originally Posted by iddy
Anyone dare to stick their neck out and give me the top three (in their opinion) coed christian private schools in the Brisbane areas?
Define top , define brisbane area, define christian... stats are fun to work out as you have to work out how many pupils that put into the exams as well as pass rates,
Old Jul 26th 2007, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

OK - good points

Maybe I should ask if you could pick any private coed school in the brisbane area (within a sensible commute of the CBD) which would it be and why?

Personally, I am looking for high academic achievement, good moral values, great sporting facilities, music, arts and high aspirations for the kids. I want somewhere where they will realy enjoy going to school.

I'm not really interested in league tables - thats why I'm asking for the opinion of people on the ground.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 2:54 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Co-ed private schools within a reasonable commute to the CBD are thinner on the ground than you might think. And do you want primary school or high school or both? Ones that have been recommended to me are:

- St Peter's (Lutheran) - Indooroopilly - both primary and secondary
- Clayfield College - Clayfield

There's another one but i can't think what it is called right now.

If you are on the northside, then Northside Christian college has a very good reputation.

Info on the Catholic schools here
Info on independent schools (many "christian") here
Old Jul 27th 2007, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

No Idea is an unknown quantity at this point

Co-ed private schools are very difficult in Brisbane. I have been having the same problem. Most schools are single sex and not co-located next to each other. Clayfield is co-ed but only for primary years. St Peters has a very good reputation. Public but co-ed is Brisbane State High - which is a selective school and has a very small catchment area.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

The kids will probably be 11 (girl) and 8 (boy) by the time we get there. I will be happy to live further out if the school options are better.

I was also looking at Springfield - any good schools there?
Old Jul 27th 2007, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

I like St Peters a lot. Which suburbs are within 20 - 30 mins drive of this (at pickup & drop off times) - any recommendations that will give me a modern house & good value for money?
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:30 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Depends on what you class good value :-)

Suburbs close by (30 mins) are:

Indooroopilly
Taringa
Toowong
Auchenflower
Milton

and then across the river....

Chelmer
Graceville
Sherwood
Corinda
Oxley

Try looking at ourbrisbane for a profile of each of the suburbs, and then follow up with looking at property on realestate.com or domain.com.au
Old Jul 29th 2007, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Cheers

Have been looking around on domian.com.au at the suburbs that you mentioned. Most seem of the properties listed seem to be older "queenslander" style houses.

As DIY is definitely not my strong point I think I am looking for a large modern family home with pool. I'm not bothered about a "blue view" and would live further way from the CBD & school to get a cheaper property.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:50 pm
Liz

lizhenshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iddy
Don't know if you are still interested but I have researched this in depth. Actually went over in June specifically to check them all out. My two are at a preparatory school in England and I want to continue their level of education if I possibly can. My view is for a girl - Moreton Bay College - without a doubt, boys - Churchie and then move on to Brisbane Boys Grammar for the upper school - Co-ed Definately Sheldon, don't touch St Peter's with a barge pole - especially the lower school. The rest are, in my opinion very average, and it is just a matter of location. The one's mentioned are my aim, the league tables are great and the facilities match. I have had interviews at most of them, and felt the above mentioned could not be matched.

REgards

Liz.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

smraymer will become famous soon enoughsmraymer will become famous soon enough

I can definitely recommend Moreton Bay Girls School and Moreton Bay Boys School. My son is in Grade 2 of Moreton Bay Boys and he is excelling. Housing round the area (Manly West, Wakerley, Manly) is good too and has the convenience of being 15km from the city and a few minutes from the bay which is very family orientated.