Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane roads (The Gap)

Brisbane roads (The Gap)

Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Jason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really nice
Default Brisbane roads (The Gap)

Hi
Can anyBody tell me what the roads are like to commute to CBD from the Gap or, what the transport service is like there please
Regards
Jason
Old Aug 24th 2011, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane roads (The Gap)

Originally Posted by Jason mears
Hi
Can anyBody tell me what the roads are like to commute to CBD from the Gap or, what the transport service is like there please
Regards
Jason
Car is 20min off peak and on average 35min peak.
Bus takes about 5min more, from waterwirks road it's a 15min service, most other places its 30min service. Just beware its a big suburb and you could be 20min walk from a bus stop.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

The Gap is absolutely lovely and buses seem to run quite well and very often. The only downside is the traffic. Sometimes it seems as though traffic doesn't move on Waterworks Road. We have friends who live in The Gap and he leaves for work a bit earlier just so he misses the bulk of the traffic.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:20 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

If you dont live on the 385 route then theres a potential dilema facing you every time you want to get a bus home. You can:

a) Walk to the 385 stop in the city (King Geoge Sq), Catch the next reliable regular bus to The Gap and then either have a long walk, or wait for one of the slow 'all stops' 380/381 busses to get you closer to your doorstep - or -

b) Walk to the 380/381 stops and catch a less relibale, slower service all the way to your door. - Then of course its inevitable that if you need a 380, the 381 bus will come first and you'll wonder whether its better to jump on and get 85% of the way there - or wether to stay in the city and wait for the right bus that *may* never come....

As you can tell I'm no fan of buses - When I used buses to commute I regularly wanted to kill people and was known to yell all kinds of obscenities at buses (as I watched them pull away from the bus stop ahead of timetable *just* before I got there forcing me to wait 45 minutes for the next of the 'every 15 minute' services). The reality is that for most people in The Gap that work in the CBD the buses are actually pretty good - I'm just VERY impatient and intolerant of needless inefficiency.

I abandonned buses in favour of motorcycles - they go from A to B without you having to change, they go when you want, they dont suffer from congestion as much as buses and parking is either cheap or completely free. People driving cars from The Gap have a bit of traffic to attend to and the 20 minute trip to the city could easily take 45 mimutes if you want to get there for 7:45am like everyone else (Wait half an hour and the trip will be quick but you'll spend 2 hours looking for somewhere to park that doesnt cost $45 a day ).

All in all The Gap is a good place to live and compared with other places of comparable cost its probably a pretty decent commute, we are after all quite close to the city.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Jason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really niceJason mears is just really nice

Ok thanks