Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane holiday

Brisbane holiday

Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold
Default Brisbane holiday

Flew out of Glasgow at 14.00 on the 2nd of June, flight was with Emirates via Dubai and stopping at Singapore for two nights. Arrived in Singapore very jet lagged, got a taxi to the Marina Maderine Hotel. Checked in at approx 3pm went for a few hours sleep them headed down to Boat Quay for a few drinks and a bite to eat. Had a lovely meal then walked back to our hotel. Got up the next day and bought tickets for the hop on hop off bus tours. Stopped at Raffles Hotel had a Singapore Sling and then went down to Orchard Road to do some shopping. Next day checked out of the hotel and wondered round Singapore awaiting our flight to Brisbane. The flight from Singapore to Brissy was at 9pm, got no sleep on the flight and was also very nervous about meeting the OH family!!! Arrived in Brisbane at 6.30am on the 6th of June, it was raining, we were both very jet lagged and both thought we had arrived in New Zealand cos of the weather and how green the country was compared to what we expected. Will have to continue the rest tommorrow as jet lag is kicking in.

Debbie
Old Jun 24th 2007, 8:34 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all
Default Re: Brisbane holiday

Originally Posted by brissydeb
Flew out of Glasgow at 14.00 on the 2nd of June, flight was with Emirates via Dubai and stopping at Singapore for two nights. Arrived in Singapore very jet lagged, got a taxi to the Marina Maderine Hotel. Checked in at approx 3pm went for a few hours sleep them headed down to Boat Quay for a few drinks and a bite to eat. Had a lovely meal then walked back to our hotel. Got up the next day and bought tickets for the hop on hop off bus tours. Stopped at Raffles Hotel had a Singapore Sling and then went down to Orchard Road to do some shopping. Next day checked out of the hotel and wondered round Singapore awaiting our flight to Brisbane. The flight from Singapore to Brissy was at 9pm, got no sleep on the flight and was also very nervous about meeting the OH family!!! Arrived in Brisbane at 6.30am on the 6th of June, it was raining, we were both very jet lagged and both thought we had arrived in New Zealand cos of the weather and how green the country was compared to what we expected. Will have to continue the rest tommorrow as jet lag is kicking in.

Debbie
Hi there Debbie
How was singapore? I was thinking of stopping somewhere on the way out to OZ and have thought about stopping here, is it ok for kids 13&10 so they are not little. I would reaaly like to go to raffles for a singapore sling, how was it?
Hope you enjoy the rest of your hols.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

I've done the stopover in Singapore, its a lovely city but the best stopover we did with the kids was Melbourne to Hawaii for a couple of nights, then onto Los Angeles and Disneyland, Universal studios etc then onto London.
We flew with Air New Zealand.

Deb you have arrived in our winter, and we needed the rain, it wont be like this for long, enjoy How warm is it though during the day
Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:17 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Debbie,

You managed to fly in smack bang in the middle of Brisbane's wettest 2 days for a long time! Normally at this time of year the days are clear and warm although this June is definitely a little different! Last winter was very warm from what I remember.

Anyway, as a Glaswegian I'm sure a wee bit of rain wont bother you.....used to live in Glasgow myself and I swear the first winter I was there it rained for 3 months solid. I still love Wegieland though and always make an effort to visit when I'm back over in Scotland.

Bazza
Old Jun 25th 2007, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Just got back from work so will try and finish our reccie report tonight, still feel totally jet lagged.........had no idea how much this can mess up your body clock, woke up this morning at 12.30am and could not get back to sleep so was a total zombie at work today.
On the Thursday we headed down to South Bank had a wonder about and then got the city cat up to Bretts Wharf and then back down to Eagle Street Pier popped into the Pig and Whistle for a drink then wandered about the Queen Street Mall. Headed back and had dinner with the OH family. Went up to Ipswich on the Friday to get a kilt for the OH and then spent the rest of the day back a the apartment. Headed out to the Plough Inn on South Bank at night for a few drinks, ended up over doing it a bit and got home at midnight. Nearly slept in for our 7am flight to Sydney the next day,woke up at 5.30am threw our clothes on and got a taxi to the airport. Arrived in Sydney and it was chucking it down (an umbrella was one thing I had not thought of packing!!). After checking into our hotel we headed down to the shops to buy a couple of tops. Popped into the hotel that my friend works in and arranged to transfer down there for our second night as I was not very impressed with the one we had booked, it was not very clean and felt slightly uneasy at the area it as in. Headed out to China town at night had a nice meal and then went back to our hotel. The next day met up with my friend and her husband who took us round the harbour/ opera house and the markets at the Rocks. Had a really lovely day and finished it off in the Opera bar, the view is totally amazing! Got back to Brisbane on the Monday and just had a relaxing day with the OH family. Spent the next few days checking out areas that we had been looking at online. Went to view an apartment at the Gabba Central, was absolutely gorgeous. On the Friday went back up to Ipswich to pick up the kilt for the wedding and then helped out getting things organised for the following day. Got up early on the Saturday and drove up to Mount Cotton where the ceremony was to be held. About ten minutes before the bride was due to arrive it was discovered that the rings had fallen off the cushion Anyway they were found on the pathway up to the gardens which was lucky! After the ceremony we headed to the reception at a hotel in Cleveland. We both had a really lovely day and hubby enjoyed the attention he was getting for wearing a kilt! Spent the next day nursing a sore head and went out to the Green Papaya at night for dinner (would not reccommend as over priced and very poor service). As Monday was our last day we decided to go to Australia Zoo and then went to the Satay Hut on South Bank for dinner at night.
Flew out of Brisbane on the Tuesday and stayed in Dubai for two nights. Dubai was ok but would not be in a rush back, good for shopping but that was about it.
Finally, we both really loved our time in Australia and can not wait to get back out. Fingers crossed we hear word of our visa soon.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by LisaD_uk
Hi there Debbie
How was singapore? I was thinking of stopping somewhere on the way out to OZ and have thought about stopping here, is it ok for kids 13&10 so they are not little. I would reaaly like to go to raffles for a singapore sling, how was it?
Hope you enjoy the rest of your hols.

Singapore was great for a stop over, the city is very clean, shops fantastic and there is also plenty to do. The service you receive in restaurants etc is fantastic. Not too sure on activities for kids, try checking out the "visit singapore" website. Raffles was beautiful, a bit pricey but worth it.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:06 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Singapore was great for a stop over, the city is very clean, shops fantastic and there is also plenty to do. The service you receive in restaurants etc is fantastic. Not too sure on activities for kids, try checking out the "visit singapore" website. Raffles was beautiful, a bit pricey but worth it.
Thanks for the reply. Glad to see you enjoyed your hols, sounds like you were very busy. I will def check out that web site, cheers.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 11:21 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

lol, i bet we walked past each other on queen st mall, and we flew out of bris on tuesday too (but with malaysia)
i havent go the energy to do an update yet ... i cant get past the jet lag and i ache all over

but, sounds like you had a fab time - lovely update

sue x
Old Jun 26th 2007, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
lol, i bet we walked past each other on queen st mall, and we flew out of bris on tuesday too (but with malaysia)
i havent go the energy to do an update yet ... i cant get past the jet lag and i ache all over

but, sounds like you had a fab time - lovely update

sue x
yeah the jet lag is a bit of a nightmare, hope it passes soon!! How long were you in Brisbane for?

Debbie
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by auspal
I've done the stopover in Singapore, its a lovely city but the best stopover we did with the kids was Melbourne to Hawaii for a couple of nights, then onto Los Angeles and Disneyland, Universal studios etc then onto London.
We flew with Air New Zealand.

Deb you have arrived in our winter, and we needed the rain, it wont be like this for long, enjoy How warm is it though during the day
Have checked out Air New Zealand for one way flights and appears to be the cheapest.

Debbie
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld
Hi Debbie,

You managed to fly in smack bang in the middle of Brisbane's wettest 2 days for a long time! Normally at this time of year the days are clear and warm although this June is definitely a little different! Last winter was very warm from what I remember.

Anyway, as a Glaswegian I'm sure a wee bit of rain wont bother you.....used to live in Glasgow myself and I swear the first winter I was there it rained for 3 months solid. I still love Wegieland though and always make an effort to visit when I'm back over in Scotland.

Bazza
Yeah the first day in Brisbane was a bit of a shocker, chucking it down!! The rest of the holiday felt like a typical Scottish summer.

Debbie
Old Jun 28th 2007, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Have checked out Air New Zealand for one way flights and appears to be the cheapest.

Debbie
They are a very good airline Debbie