Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane - got any questions?

Brisbane - got any questions?

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 12:03 pm
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold
Default Brisbane - got any questions?

Hi all,

Im flying Friday to go to Brissy to get my visa validated and do a fact finding trip.
If you have any specific questions you'd like answering, I'll see what I can do for you. I'll be there for 3 weeks - so you've got almost that long to get your questions in.... I'll check while I'm out there.

TTFN,

W.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Is Cleveland as nice as most people say it is ?
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by surfdude
Is Cleveland as nice as most people say it is ?

Yes

....and according to a reliable source has a really good Indian takeaway, as well as a witches shop!
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like our no 1 area to live then !
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 7:46 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Is Samford and Samford Downs a nice small town to raise a family and commutable distance from CBD or is it too remote ?
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 8:13 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mcmercer
Yes

....and according to a reliable source has a really good Indian takeaway, as well as a witches shop!
Stop bandying my name around as reliable please Michaela!
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 9:53 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by mcmercer
Yes

Have you been in the witches shop yet ?

And, have you been to the Cleveland markets on a Sunday ?
They even have a large jumping castle for kids....

And I too, agree that Cleveland is nice.

Old Mar 24th 2004, 2:16 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Must try and get the Bloke to drive me down there and see this Witch Shop - is it open Saturday's? I'll tell him theres a new computer game shop down there or something
Old Mar 24th 2004, 2:44 am
Account Closed

Didnt go in the witches shop as I'd spent too much time in the fairy shop round the corner and was therefore late for school pick up.Not sure if its open Saturdays, I'll look next time I'm there!

Havnt been to the markets yet but its on my list!!!

Mrs D I was trying to protect your anonymity and you've blown it So far my motto is if you or ABC dont know it then its not worth knowing
Old Mar 24th 2004, 2:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

A fairy shop too!!!! Two nieces with birthdays approaching.....hhmmmm. Certainly time for a visit!
Old Mar 24th 2004, 2:57 am
Account Closed

Was a bit disapointed with the fairy shop, they did sell tiny bags of real fairy dust though I'm not sure how customs would take to little bags of powder being sent to UK!
Old Mar 24th 2004, 4:16 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

LOL @ the bags of dust.

Michaela, we are heading up there for a curry tonight actually, yum!

Cleveland markets are nice, was there 2 weeks ago & my boys just adore that damn bouncy castle too! Cant get past it without them having a go. The itinery usually goes something like - Cleveland Sands hotel for lunch, walk up one side of the market, spend half an hour at the bouncy castle, walk half way down the other side before the boys demand to play for an hour on the playground area & manage to drag them off just as the markets are packing up. Lucky that theres not usually much variety or anything of any great interest there anyway .

Saucy Petes was probably the best stall there & he upped & moved to Melb :scared: :scared:
Old Mar 24th 2004, 11:00 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by EssexNobby
Is Samford and Samford Downs a nice small town to raise a family and commutable distance from CBD or is it too remote ?

Samfords Lovely...

I wouldnt say the commute into CBD is that bad mind you if you plan on getting there for 8am best leave very early !!

As you drive into Samford theres a good chipshop a great pub , drive north and theres a road to the right its first major road, house at bottom has the best name ever ..

BRINGABEERALONG < class
Old Mar 24th 2004, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

I agree with Timber, I thought Samford was lovely. It had that quiet villagey feel but had everything you needed to get by.

I have been told though that it gets bloody hot in the summer because it is in a valley
Old Mar 24th 2004, 10:58 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Billabong
I agree with Timber, I thought Samford was lovely. It had that quiet villagey feel but had everything you needed to get by.

I have been told though that it gets bloody hot in the summer because it is in a valley
When we went there, we thought exactly the same. A great little village area. Really beautiful.

But we chose waterside in the end.