Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane Curry Advice

Brisbane Curry Advice

Old Jul 25th 2006, 1:07 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brisbane Curry Advice

I hear there is a "balti" house over in Birkdale which I believe is bayside. Apaprently it's a sister restaurant to one in Wolverhampton UK. Has anyone had a good balti there and how does the Chicken Tikka Massala Balti taste?

I'm wondering whether to take a trip over to try it out. I have an excellent cuury house on the doorstep but wouldn't mind trying a UK style Balti again.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 1:24 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane Curry Advice

Originally Posted by jayr
I hear there is a "balti" house over in Birkdale which I believe is bayside. Apaprently it's a sister restaurant to one in Wolverhampton UK. Has anyone had a good balti there and how does the Chicken Tikka Massala Balti taste?

I'm wondering whether to take a trip over to try it out. I have an excellent cuury house on the doorstep but wouldn't mind trying a UK style Balti again.
Jayr it's closed at the moment as they are on a trip back to the UK to visit the sister restaurant, I think it reopens at the beginning of August sometime. If you want the phone number, spalen has it on his redial .

As for the food, most expats down this way (& from as far away as the GC ) have eaten there - the food really is very good.

If you go in, make sure you tell them that you are from Expats .
Old Jul 25th 2006, 1:26 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Just got the details from the flyer we have for you it's

Spice Avenue
Aquatic Paradise Shopping Centre,
190 Birkdale Rd
Birkdale,
Ph 3822 9822
Old Jul 25th 2006, 1:34 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks MrsD. I've been meaning to get over that way but its about a 45 minute drive so its good to know that they are closed and avoid a wasted trip.

I'll look out for them reopening.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Thanks MrsD. I've been meaning to get over that way but its about a 45 minute drive so its good to know that they are closed and avoid a wasted trip.

I'll look out for them reopening.
JayR,

We go there most Fridays from the north side (about 45 mins) and it is definately worth the drive.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Have to agree with other posters love the curries there, also right oppisite the train station so if you fancy its not far to walk for the train oh! and there is a irish bar round the corner
Old Jul 25th 2006, 3:03 am
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by tabby
Have to agree with other posters love the curries there, also right oppisite the train station so if you fancy its not far to walk for the train oh! and there is a irish bar round the corner

So have you had the CTM? Is it one with that grainy almond powder texture and a slightly sweet taste with only best chicken breast? If so I'm heading over.

Do they do 'table naans', i.e. literally table sized nann breads, enough for 6-8 people? I'd also love to have a prawn puri and some onion bhajis, none of which I've had for the last 3.5 years. I feel like I'm back in Birmingham just thinking about it...
Old Jul 25th 2006, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

So have you had the CTM? Is it one with that grainy almond powder texture and a slightly sweet taste with only best chicken breast? If so I'm heading over.

Do they do 'table naans', i.e. literally table sized nann breads, enough for 6-8 people? I'd also love to have a prawn puri and some onion bhajis, none of which I've had for the last 3.5 years. I feel like I'm back in Birmingham just thinking about it...
Can't say I have seen table size naans (ever) , don't like prawns they have onion B's and I genrally have Buhna's sorry no CTM here , there menyu is online somewhere tho'
Old Jul 25th 2006, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
it's closed at the moment as they are on a trip back to the UK to visit the sister restaurant
JTL went there a week or so ago to order some take-out (after not getting answered on the phone for an hour!) and came home empty-handed... And the note on their door says something like "we're closed till such and such date", AND "Ha Ha!!". How mean are they? Gosh do they know we're dependent on them once a week when Prison Break/24 is on? Could they not wait till 24's finished in a week's time?

Mrs JTL
Old Jul 25th 2006, 4:16 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
JTL went there a week or so ago to order some take-out (after not getting answered on the phone for an hour!) and came home empty-handed... And the note on their door says something like "we're closed till such and such date", AND "Ha Ha!!". How mean are they? Gosh do they know we're dependent on them once a week when Prison Break/24 is on? Could they not wait till 24's finished in a week's time?

Mrs JTL
I dont wanna talk about it......... 4 weeks is a longtime. Im on step 5 of the twelve step (step 5 is ' admitting to others the nature of the addiction ' )

God is with me.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 4:21 am
Just Joined

brizvegas123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Brisbane Curry Advice

Hello i've eaten there loads and it is just gorgeous - its called the Spice Avenue - its well worth the trip i can assure you. We discovered it by chance after moving to Manly from Belfast last year
Old Jul 25th 2006, 4:22 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jayr

Be careful as I think it is closed one day/night during the week as we were in the area one night and headed there after hearing the good reports to find it closed.....DOH!!!!

Old Jul 25th 2006, 4:34 am
Karma Comedian

I was thinking of heading there one week end, go off to Mt Cotton, pop in to Carindale etc. but all with the intent of picking up some takeaway for reheating later.

I've been to most of the SEQ beaches and much of the hinterland, this year I'm tracking down takeaways.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Hi Jayr

Be careful as I think it is closed one day/night during the week as we were in the area one night and headed there after hearing the good reports to find it closed.....DOH!!!!
I think it's Monday - well Monday for most restaurants near us anyway. I always make sure there's something to eat in the house every Monday.

Mrs JTL