Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane or Cairns?

Brisbane or Cairns?

Old Oct 20th 2007, 1:33 am

Hoyo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane or Cairns?

Looking at my lonely planet guide - Cairns seems great. It sort of sounds what iam after : tropical rainforests, beaches etc...

What is the work sit like there?

Although I have contacts in Brisbane which makes my plan to go there much easier I am interested to hear from people who have been to both places...

Also, is there anywhere else I should look at?? Cheers!!!

Enrique
Old Oct 20th 2007, 1:38 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Brisbane or Cairns?

Originally Posted by Hoyo
Looking at my lonely planet guide - Cairns seems great. It sort of sounds what iam after : tropical rainforests, beaches etc...

Although I have contacts in Brisbane which makes my plan to go there much easier I am interested to hear from people who have been to both places...

Enrique
Loved both...but I think cairns maybe too hot to live so we chose Brisbane.
Cairns is beautiful and very relaxed, outskirts of Brisbane are nice too but dont have to rainforests and reef.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 2:13 am

Hoyo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shortlets
Loved both...but I think cairns maybe too hot to live so we chose Brisbane.
Cairns is beautiful and very relaxed, outskirts of Brisbane are nice too but dont have to rainforests and reef.
thanks. what is a good area to live in Brisbane if you are single? I am into my running, so somewhere close to the bush would be ideal. Also, when I arrive I will be carless for a while - will that be a problem?
Old Oct 20th 2007, 7:35 am
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hoyo

Enrique
What work are you after?

We live just South of Cairns and love it Preferred up North with it's greenery and the more tropical aspect. Each to their own really. Brisbane is a large city Cairns a lot smaller but still offers everything you will need. Do a search on Cairns or Brisbane and there is some interesting threads with pictures that you can look at but personally get here yourself and check out both as what suits me may not suit you and visa versa.

It would take you a couple of days solid driving to get from Cairns to Brisbane so there is a lot in between all of which offers some great options. Think of it like living in London and driving to the the tip of Africa and you will be close to the distance between the two places and how varied that would make them both...making it hard to compare them.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 8:37 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

WE had the same dilemma and threw Perth in to add to the confusion. As much as we love Brisbane, Cairns is for us cheaper housing than some parts of Brisbane especially the south where we were interested in living and loads of work for trades.

We were told by many expats living there to ignore the heat factor as you acclimatisem, living there and holidaying are not the same.

I want the relaxed lifestyle that Cairns seems to offer the smaller commute into town from the suburbs, great clubs for the kids and closeness to the beach which is a bit harder to find in Brisbane unless you head to the Sunshine or Gold Coast there are some small beaches that are dotted around within Brisbane but not what I was wanting.

Its a difficult decision and it has really stressed me out since we are near the end of the application and want to be there in January.

Good luck in deciding

Kaye
Old Oct 20th 2007, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa_Mick is on a distinguished road

We're in the same dilema - Brisbane or Cairns. OH is chippy so wondering where best for his trade, but so far it appears there is a demand for work all over. Visiting Queensland this November for a reccy so hopefully we will have a better idea on what suits us work and accommodation wise by the time we get back. Then its just waiting and waiting for our 136 visa to be granted.......... Lisa
Old Oct 20th 2007, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisa_Mick
We're in the same dilema - Brisbane or Cairns. OH is chippy so wondering where best for his trade, but so far it appears there is a demand for work all over. Visiting Queensland this November for a reccy so hopefully we will have a better idea on what suits us work and accommodation wise by the time we get back. Then its just waiting and waiting for our 136 visa to be granted.......... Lisa
Why Brisbane or Cairns? what about the 1600KM between the 2. That's like saying shall we live in London or Madrid forgetting about all the places between those 2.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 1:16 pm
fin
heading home

fin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nicefin is just really nice

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Why Brisbane or Cairns? what about the 1600KM between the 2. That's like saying shall we live in London or Madrid forgetting about all the places between those 2.
Yeah but there isn't anything inbetween worth considering really lol
Old Oct 21st 2007, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

joncoll90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Brisbane!
Old Oct 21st 2007, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it all depends on whether you want the city or not - if you do then Brisbane is your only choice as Cairns is a small place mainly catering for backpackers and tourists doing the reef thing. I may be biased but I reckon the Sunshine Coast is a better choice (if not looking for the city life) with more work choices as it's a bigger area than Cairns.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 10:31 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

townsville is bigger then cairns, so that maybe also be an option.

Originally Posted by fin
Yeah but there isn't anything inbetween worth considering really lol
Old Oct 21st 2007, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by themerlin
townsville is bigger then cairns, so that maybe also be an option.
If Townsville is a choice I reckon the OP should get onto Carsales and look for a Toyota Landcruiser (trayback UTE of course) or a Nissan Patrol (again trayback UTE) cos that's Okker country :-)
Old Oct 21st 2007, 11:55 pm

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think it was that bad, Rockhamton on the other hand , worse pint of Guinness I have had in mu life !

If Townsville is a choice I reckon the OP should get onto Carsales and look for a Toyota Landcruiser (trayback UTE of course) or a Nissan Patrol (again trayback UTE) cos that's Okker country :-)
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by themerlin
I didn't think it was that bad, Rockhamton on the other hand , worse pint of Guinness I have had in mu life !
Guinness?? you're in Australia now mate and you should be drinking XXXX or VB :-)
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 1:05 am

There are some good Aussie Beers, VB is not one of them.

Guinness?? you're in Australia now mate and you should be drinking XXXX or VB :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.