Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane banking advice

Brisbane banking advice

Old May 26th 2008, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

brissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brisbane banking advice

Hi Folks

Will be moving out to Brisbane on July 17th so will need to sort out a few things.

Ive done a search on the forum but cant see a definitive answer to a couple of my questions, apologies for cluttering incase ive missed something.

Im looking for advice from folk already in Brissy.

Basically what is the best bank to go with in Brisbane? I know its relatively easy to open an account with most of them, but is there a biggy where I can open online?

Im not too fussed about interest rates and charges, my main priority is to get my savings over to Oz safely. I really dont fancy taking a money belt with 10,000 australian dollars in it.

I currently have my savings with Lloyds Tsb but Im not sure if I can transfer to an online account before i go?

Reading through other posts it seems as if HSBC is the best option from the UK?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers again

Jamie!

Also how does that company work in the link on this page, OZFREX? I take it they are good if they advertise on here?

Last edited by brissybound; May 26th 2008 at 2:54 pm.
Old May 26th 2008, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Brisbane banking advice

Originally Posted by brissybound
Hi Folks

Will be moving out to Brisbane on July 17th so will need to sort out a few things.

Ive done a search on the forum but cant see a definitive answer to a couple of my questions, apologies for cluttering incase ive missed something.

Im looking for advice from folk already in Brissy.

Basically what is the best bank to go with in Brisbane? I know its relatively easy to open an account with most of them, but is there a biggy where I can open online?

Im not too fussed about interest rates and charges, my main priority is to get my savings over to Oz safely. I really dont fancy taking a money belt with 10,000 australian dollars in it.

I currently have my savings with Lloyds Tsb but Im not sure if I can transfer to an online account before i go?

Reading through other posts it seems as if HSBC is the best option from the UK?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers again

Jamie!

Also how does that company work in the link on this page, OZFREX? I take it they are good if they advertise on here?
HSBC will charge you £100 to change your UK a/c to an Aussie a/c. We have opened an a/c with ANZ which costs $5 a month for unlimited transactions. So far so good, have had no problems so far....

Debbie
Old May 26th 2008, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

brissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissydeb
HSBC will charge you £100 to change your UK a/c to an Aussie a/c. We have opened an a/c with ANZ which costs $5 a month for unlimited transactions. So far so good, have had no problems so far....

Debbie

Do they not require a minimum transfer of 25000 pounds though?? Hold on I'Ll double check..
Old May 26th 2008, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all

Thats good $5 for unlimited transactions.Are there plenty of branches and can you bank online with them?
Old May 26th 2008, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Just submitted an application for an account online with National Australia Bank. Seemed really easy, too easy than compared with ANZ (they wanted certified passport etc sent over from UK), and they only seem interested in transfers over 25K.

Fingers crossed NAB seem okay.
Old May 26th 2008, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all

I am looking at those too .Anyone know what their bank charges are like? And available branches in and around Brisbane?
Old May 26th 2008, 8:42 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Just submitted an application for an account online with National Australia Bank. Seemed really easy, too easy than compared with ANZ (they wanted certified passport etc sent over from UK), and they only seem interested in transfers over 25K.

Fingers crossed NAB seem okay.
NAB are one the largest banks in Australia and have branches everywhere. They represent good value comparatively speaking from a large bank.

We've banked with them for years.
Old May 26th 2008, 8:43 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Ozforex and Hifx are two excellent money brokers which have good reps on here and been used by many, Ozforex I have used myself frequently.
Old May 27th 2008, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

OzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really nice

We were with Commonwealth and their bank charges were AARRGGHH!!!! We bank now with Bankwest and have NO charges whatsoever for anything. Our savings acct (if we dont touch if for 12 months) yields 9%. ONly hassle in Brissie at present is the fact that they are newish here and there arent many branches. We have to go into the CBD to do anything but thats not hard!
Old May 27th 2008, 2:47 pm
MODL Pommie

sssstew is an unknown quantity at this point

im probably going to use HSBC when i arrive at the start of July. You need an Aus address to apply for it online though, hence the wait till i arrive. You also need to put in A$2000 to start with.

But the benefits are free banking and the ability to use lots of ATMs.
Old May 27th 2008, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sssstew
im probably going to use HSBC when i arrive at the start of July. You need an Aus address to apply for it online though, hence the wait till i arrive. You also need to put in A$2000 to start with.

Yes you can use lots of non HSBC ATM's, but if you weren't already aware, only 5 withdrawals a month are free.
Old May 27th 2008, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sassie
Yes you can use lots of non HSBC ATM's, but if you weren't already aware, only 5 withdrawals a month are free.
Free and umlimited at post offices
Old May 28th 2008, 2:41 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sssstew

Also consider Citibank's Cityplus account - they offer fee free banking, and unlimited ATM withdrawals from any ATM in the country.

Very good value IMHO.

S
Old May 28th 2008, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Centurion
Ozforex and Hifx are two excellent money brokers which have good reps on here and been used by many, Ozforex I have used myself frequently.
Forgive me for being so daft!

Ive checked thier site, how exactly do they work?

Would I be able to use them to transfer my money into my Australian Bank account? Getting more $ for my £'s??
Old May 28th 2008, 3:04 pm
MODL Pommie

sssstew is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Also consider Citibank's Cityplus account - they offer fee free banking, and unlimited ATM withdrawals from any ATM in the country.

Very good value IMHO.

S
thanks for the tip swervo, ive added them to my list of possibles.