Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brisbane after school clubs

Brisbane after school clubs

Old Jan 11th 2005, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brisbane after school clubs

Does anybody know whether primary schools in Brisbane do after school clubs. I have a 9 year old son and 2 girls 14 and 15. We are moving over later this year.

I will be working shifts so wont always be able to collect him from school. My girls would be able to collect him but may not finish school themselves until a little later.

I was wondering what activities etc they do and costs etc.
Does anybody elses children attend? If so, do they like it?
Old Jan 11th 2005, 11:30 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane after school clubs

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Does anybody know whether primary schools in Brisbane do after school clubs. I have a 9 year old son and 2 girls 14 and 15. We are moving over later this year.

I will be working shifts so wont always be able to collect him from school. My girls would be able to collect him but may not finish school themselves until a little later.

Hi Tracey

We moved to Brisbane in October, I have a 14yr old, a 7yr old, and a 3yr old, my 7yr old goes to St Matthews Primary in Cornubia my 14yr old goes to Chisholm college, both private but not too expensive.The primary has after shool care and vacation care and is a lovely school. If you want any infromation regarding these schools please contact me. My husband is on the site under Andrew63. So feel free.... Most schools have after school care I am not sure of the cost. Depending on where you are heading I can get you some information.

Good luck

Noeleen (Andrew63)

Last edited by andrew63; Jan 11th 2005 at 11:41 am.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
Hi Tracey

We moved to Brisbane in October, I have a 14yr old, a 7yr old, and a 3yr old, my 7yr old goes to St Matthews Primary in Cornubia my 14yr old goes to Chisholm college, both private but not too expensive.The primary has after shool care and vacation care and is a lovely school. If you want any infromation regarding these schools please contact me. My husband is on the site under Andrew63. So feel free.... Most schools have after school care I am not sure of the cost. Depending on where you are heading I can get you some information.

Good luck

Noeleen (Andrew63)
Thanks, to be honest I'm not too sure where were heading at the moment. Just know it's going to be around Brisbane somewhere.
How are your children adjusting? Particularly the older 2. Are they enjoying it so far and settling in?
Tracey.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 9:16 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, to be honest I'm not too sure where were heading at the moment. Just know it's going to be around Brisbane somewhere.
How are your children adjusting? Particularly the older 2. Are they enjoying it so far and settling in?
Tracey.
Hi Tracey

Noeleen here, the children have been no problem, my 7 year old misses his friends on a daily basis as they were always in our house at home, but I just let him ring them and email, he is not upset or anything and his school is lovely, unfortunately he was only ther 4 weeks when thy broke up for holidays and he has made lots of friends in that time.

My 14 yr old girl Alex also loves her school says it is much nicer and easier than in Ireland. The kids are very friendly. She misses her friends too but I bought her a International phone card and she calls them all the time. She too has made lots of friends in a short time. The kids here are very accepting of new people.

I think you can worry too much about the kids settling and if you are happy they follow suit.

We are 20mins from Brisbane and 30 from the Gold coast, we chose not to live by the water as we needed convenience for my hubbys job and the older kids like to be near facilities, as we lived in a rural place in Ireland we did not want that again. Anyhow you can do day trips to the beach etc.

Regards

Noeleen
Old Jan 11th 2005, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by andrew63
Hi Tracey

Noeleen here, the children have been no problem, my 7 year old misses his friends on a daily basis as they were always in our house at home, but I just let him ring them and email, he is not upset or anything and his school is lovely, unfortunately he was only ther 4 weeks when thy broke up for holidays and he has made lots of friends in that time.

My 14 yr old girl Alex also loves her school says it is much nicer and easier than in Ireland. The kids are very friendly. She misses her friends too but I bought her a International phone card and she calls them all the time. She too has made lots of friends in a short time. The kids here are very accepting of new people.

I think you can worry too much about the kids settling and if you are happy they follow suit.

We are 20mins from Brisbane and 30 from the Gold coast, we chose not to live by the water as we needed convenience for my hubbys job and the older kids like to be near facilities, as we lived in a rural place in Ireland we did not want that again. Anyhow you can do day trips to the beach etc.

Regards

Noeleen
You've put my mind at rest somewhat. Where you live sounds like just the kind of area I want to be.
Although I would love to be near the coast it isn't realistic in my circumstances.
1. I really would like to work in the hospital I visited which is in Brisbane.
2. It is too far to commute to the Gold Coast if I'm going to be working shifts (couldn't possibly drive for an hour after a night shift :scared: )
3. Couldn't afford to live right onthe coast.

I have discussed it with the children and everybody seems happy to live half way. Will just take advice from people on this site and see where we land

I'm really glad your children are happy. Was talking to my son (9) tonight about it. He said he doesn't know if he'll be able to make any new friends .I think that he would be happy as long as he could join a couple of clubs ie, scouts and life saving club or something. At that age they soon make friends.

Will just have to find some myself
Old Jan 11th 2005, 10:15 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

You've put my mind at rest somewhat. Where you live sounds like just the kind of area I want to be.
Although I would love to be near the coast it isn't realistic in my circumstances.
Hi Tracey, is that the Royal Brisbane Hospital or one of the private ones? My partners sister works there. She lives in the same suburb as us, about 15mins away.

2. It is too far to commute to the Gold Coast if I'm going to be working shifts
(couldn't possibly drive for an hour after a night shift

I have discussed it with the children and everybody seems happy to live half way. Will just take advice from people on this site and see where we land

I'm really glad your children are happy. Was talking to my son (9) tonight about it. He said he doesn't know if he'll be able to make any new friends .I think that he would be happy as long as he could join a couple of clubs ie, scouts and life saving club or something. At that age they soon make friends.

My partners daughter does lots of clubs after school; swimming every week day night as well as indoor/outdoor netball. Most schools seem to have before/after daycare as well.

You can come out on our Brisbane girlie drinking nights.... quite a lot of drinking plus other things, this Friday we're off to see the Full Monty stage show
Old Jan 11th 2005, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

2. It is too far to commute to the Gold Coast if I'm going to be working shifts (couldn't possibly drive for an hour after a night shift :scared: )

You won't have any problems finding friends, everyone on here who is already in Brisbane will make you very welcome. I've read about their antics, and would love to join in, just not sure we can do the Metro area just yet, maybe in a couple of years?

Sandy
Old Jan 11th 2005, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Hi Tracey, is that the Royal Brisbane Hospital or one of the private ones? My partners sister works there. She lives in the same suburb as us, about 15mins away.

My partners daughter does lots of clubs after school; swimming every week day night as well as indoor/outdoor netball. Most schools seem to have before/after daycare as well.

You can come out on our Brisbane girlie drinking nights.... quite a lot of drinking plus other things, this Friday we're off to see the Full Monty stage show
Yes, it is the Royal Brisbane. What area does she work in? I am hoping for a job on the neonatal unit. Looks fantastic. I have also looked at housing in Bracken Ridge, looks very nice. I will just have to wait and see what happens in the coming months to see if I can afford to live there. I have a few other places in mind. Bald Hills looks nice too and a bit cheaper I think.

I would love to come on your girly nights out. How often do you have them? I noticed the posts about the full Monty the other day. Am very jealous!!! I am sure that there will be other opportunities when I get there.
Tracey.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 10:35 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Yes, it is the Royal Brisbane. What area does she work in? I am hoping for a job on the neonatal unit. Looks fantastic. I have also looked at housing in Bracken Ridge, looks very nice. I will just have to wait and see what happens in the coming months to see if I can afford to live there. I have a few other places in mind. Bald Hills looks nice too and a bit cheaper I think.
LOL - she works in the neonatal unit Just gone back to work part-time as she gave birth about 16 months ago.
Bald Hills probably has a wider range (larger and smaller) than B.R, which tends to be fairly 3-5 bedroomed type places on an average size block. Another place in the area to look at would be Carseldine and Taigum.

I would love to come on your girly nights out. How often do you have them? I noticed the posts about the full Monty the other day. Am very jealous!!! I am sure that there will be other opportunities when I get there.
Tracey.
I think probably every 4-6 weeks. Our last one was early December, then we're meeting this Friday, and I think there are drinks arranged for next Friday too as one of the girls has some English friends visiting. You'll of course be more than welcome
Old Jan 12th 2005, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

jinxnkay is on a distinguished road

hi tracey
the ABC daycare centres also do before and after school care. (they are on almost every corner)
the out of school club at my sons school in mcdowall was full when i enquired so ABC pick him up in their minibus and i collect him from there. it costs $15 a session. 7am till school drop off or pick up till 6pm
i think the school ones are probably better though as there are no organised activities as such for the after school kids at ABC.