Brisbane

Old May 30th 2011, 1:19 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane

Originally Posted by fish.01
No worries...I sometimes wonder what it's like to live out there in the sticks and what's what as I know nothing about it...maybe potential immigrants would like to know too to see if it suits them? Specially those that aren't CBD workers. Is it time for you to write "The Dead Guide to emigrating to the SEQ sticks" ??
Now, there is a thought, a less Brisbaney view of life in the area ... caught between the City That Never Wakes Up and the Glitter Strip Of Crassness And Random Armed Robbery ... It has potential
Old May 30th 2011, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Now, there is a thought, a less Brisbaney view of life in the area ... caught between the City That Never Wakes Up and the Glitter Strip Of Crassness And Random Armed Robbery ... It has potential
Hmmmm, then again, maybe not
Old May 30th 2011, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

weezypenguin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info everyone. It is really appricated
Old May 30th 2011, 8:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
You're wasted in IT you could have a glittering career in real estate
Old May 30th 2011, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

lucylis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone we could possibly be moving to Brisbane within next month (find out this week) anyway potential job is in Coorpora! so wanting advice as to somewhere to live for myslef husband and 2 1/2 year old son. we are going to rent for several months first to get the feel of things! I would like to be near to coast if possible or not far from it! but dont want a long commute to work our friends live in north park but that is other side of city and far to long to get to work! also another factor... my husband hasn't got a job as yet hes a PE teacher so any one who has any advice in that feild would be great .... thanks in advance

lis
Old May 30th 2011, 11:55 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucylis
Hi everyone we could possibly be moving to Brisbane within next month (find out this week) anyway potential job is in Coorpora! so wanting advice as to somewhere to live for myslef husband and 2 1/2 year old son. we are going to rent for several months first to get the feel of things! I would like to be near to coast if possible or not far from it! but dont want a long commute to work our friends live in north park but that is other side of city and far to long to get to work! also another factor... my husband hasn't got a job as yet hes a PE teacher so any one who has any advice in that feild would be great .... thanks in advance

lis
Your friends live in North Lakes and you will be working in Coorparoo.

You could rent in a place like Manly, or Cleveland, and perhaps catch a train to work. Both of these places are quite nice and are on the bay right next to the water. No real beaches near Brisbane though. If you want to live near a surf beach, you need to live on the gold coast or sunshine coast.

If I were in your shoes, I'd forget about the coast for the time being and have a look around Camp Hill, Norman Park and Coorparoo in that order for a place to live. Just my opinion. Coorparoo is a nice suburb but it has a few not so nice spots hence why I'd pick the others ahead of it.
Old May 31st 2011, 12:08 am
Just Joined

lucylis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by asprilla
Your friends live in North Lakes and you will be working in Coorparoo.

You could rent in a place like Manly, or Cleveland, and perhaps catch a train to work. Both of these places are quite nice and are on the bay right next to the water. No real beaches near Brisbane though. If you want to live near a surf beach, you need to live on the gold coast or sunshine coast.

If I were in your shoes, I'd forget about the coast for the time being and have a look around Camp Hill, Norman Park and Coorparoo in that order for a place to live. Just my opinion. Coorparoo is a nice suburb but it has a few not so nice spots hence why I'd pick the others ahead of it.

hey thanks I was looking at clevelnad but did initially think nearer to work but given my job (mental health nurse) dont think its to wise to live in vicinity! are those other two areas you mentioned nice? suppose I just want somewhere with a bit of space we where over in feb and stayed at friends in North lakes... personally I didn't like it! everywhere felt on top of each other!
Old May 31st 2011, 1:28 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucylis
hey thanks I was looking at clevelnad but did initially think nearer to work but given my job (mental health nurse) dont think its to wise to live in vicinity! are those other two areas you mentioned nice? suppose I just want somewhere with a bit of space we where over in feb and stayed at friends in North lakes... personally I didn't like it! everywhere felt on top of each other!
Yes norman park and camp hill are pretty nice suburbs, I reckon.

At the end of the day, that extra bit of space you are looking for, comes at a price. It all comes down to $$$. Unless you are well off, you can't have space, convenience, close to city, close to work, nice house, nice garden, good transport, nice restaurants nearby etc etc....all in the one package. So you've got to think about what is most important.

Have another read of Fish.01's posts they are very useful.
Old May 31st 2011, 6:20 am
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by weezypenguin
Hi Everyine
We are moving to Brisbane in the next few months and trying to get our bearings etc.
So can anyone help with a couple of questions please?
First - What area do people recommend we look at tp live? bearing in mind we have 2 small children so schools are a big consideration.
Second - WHere to shop for clothes, food etc. I woul dlike to know which shops are best so i can go onine and look at prices of items etc.
I look forward to you replies and help.
Thanks
Hi,

Well I can only speak from personal experience.

We live in Pullenvale, which is about 16km from the CBD and what most people refer to as the "sticks", not sure I really agree there though!!

SCHOOLS

My kids go to Brookfield Starte School which has excellent results. We are spolt in the est though as we have some very good schools in the local area:-

Chapel Hill SS
Pullenvale SS
Kenmore SS

SHOPS

For shopping the big shopping centres are best and they've been listed on here.

For food it's Coles, Woolworths, IGA or Aldi although we have have great selection of independent retailers for fresh food.
Old May 31st 2011, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

The next big project is the cross river rail tunnel to ease the train bottleneck over the merivale bridge and add a few new underground stations to the city network but it has been put back because of the floods. This project will allowed increased train frequencies across the network as well as new services to the gold coast and satellite towns. Like always it is time and money. Low density living comes with its drawbacks. Most of the money is being spent to build transport improvements out to the hubs I mentioned so anywhere along those spines will improve in the future.
Queensland and probably the rest of oz seems to be the last developed country to still pump massive amouns of money into roads and hardly anything into rail. The cultural centre bus station is already at full capacity at rush hour, so crowded there is going to be a nasty accident there before long.
Old May 31st 2011, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Try to get somewhere near a busway or near a train station. distances that seem short in Brisbane take a long time to drive by car. Don't even think of living anywhere where you need to use Coronation Drive (Toowong, Milton) - it's a nightmare. Today 'cos it rained a little, there were a lot of accidents with people driving into each other. it rains a lot here, but people struggle to drive safely for reasons I don't understand. If you work southside, try to live southside - crossing the river makes for a very long commute. I like southside 'cos it seems to be a bit quieter, with some nice suburbs (I'm in Mount Gravatt East ). Bulimba is great but too $ for most, and limited schooling.
Old May 31st 2011, 1:12 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gmralston
The cultural centre bus station is already at full capacity at rush hour, so crowded there is going to be a nasty accident there before long.
I don't miss that place - 'Sorry, Bus Full', 'Sorry, Bus Full', 'Sorry, Bus Full', 'Sorry...' - you get the point! And it was only the second stop!

Like Chortlepuss I also used to live in Mt Gravatt East...which could be as little as 15 - 20 mins to the city via the busway. Also very easy to get to Coorparoo.
Old May 31st 2011, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gmralston
Queensland and probably the rest of oz seems to be the last developed country to still pump massive amouns of money into roads and hardly anything into rail. The cultural centre bus station is already at full capacity at rush hour, so crowded there is going to be a nasty accident there before long.
Yes obviously in the last 10 years Brisbane has put more money into the busway than rail. Maybe something to do with the very low population density by world standards leading to a very spread out area to serve with few unused rail corridors to build into. The busways have proven hugely popular which has lead to the situation at the cultural centre.

There will always be arguments about whether the busways should be railways, I can see advantages in both. The busway is one of the most successful in the world so I guess they can point at that. Certainly well known that something must be done around the cultural centre....I wonder what they will do? Have seen suggestions of tunnels under Victoria bridge etc but all seem to have some hefty engineering challenges. Read yesterday that the south east busway takes the equivalent of 9 lanes of traffic off the south east freeway. There were 72 million trips on the busway last year.

The focus is turning more towards rail now though with the cross river rail tunnel and new line extensions to Kippa Ring and Springfield.

Last edited by fish.01; May 31st 2011 at 2:51 pm.
Old May 31st 2011, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

The focus is turning more towards rail now though with the cross river rail tunnel and new line extensions to Kippa Ring and Springfield.
In the sequipp plan there is $10m allocated for saftey upgrades at the cultural centre for 2011-2012 but I don't know what they will do, a victim of its own success for sure. I have horrible feelling that cross river rail may never happen, it was very quick to get delayed by at least 2 years after the flood but at $8.2 billion it was an easy target.
At least the other two are funded though.
Old May 31st 2011, 10:35 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

One thing that the cultural centre busway coudl do with is MORE platforms.

Its no good having 1 inbound and 1 outbound platform when theres 20 different busroutes going through there - it end up being a bunfight with everyone running up and down the busy platform to get to the bus .

Some side-by-side platforms could aleviate that a bit so at least passengers had a clue where their bus woudl arrive.

(It doesnt help the 'bus full' problem which was the main reason I first quit public transport and discovered the joy of motorcycle commuting!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.