Brisbane

Old May 31st 2011, 10:46 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brisbane

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag
Southside has some very nice areas, well serviced and easy to commute to the CBD. It depends on how far out you want to live, but Greenslopes, Annerley and Carindale with Mt Gravatt and Sunnybank or even Shailer Park or Alexandra Hills, being further out, could all be possibilities. If you are considering public transport this link may help <http://translink.com.au/>

Gold Coast is not ALL commercial and has great suburbs with good schools and plenty of infrastructure too, not everyone wants to live in the more touristy areas. There are plenty of areas that are great for families.

For Schools this link may help <http://education.qld.gov.au/directory/schools/index.html>
Carindale, yes... but I wouldn't rate Mt Gravatt, Sunnybank, Shailer Park or Alexandra Hills as "nice areas". In fact, I'd rate the last two, particularly, as something a lot less than "nice".

Of course, that's just my opinion. Some people like living in crap areas.
Old May 31st 2011, 10:57 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Carindale, yes... but I wouldn't rate Mt Gravatt, Sunnybank, Shailer Park or Alexandra Hills as "nice areas". In fact, I'd rate the last two, particularly, as something a lot less than "nice".
Yes I must admit, I was surprised to see Alex Hills appearing in that list. The thing is, it has parts that look just like Carindale (legoland) but the parts of it close to the main roads in and out of the Redlands...don't appear nice. It has a bad rep locally as well which must count for something. The Alex Hotel is probably one of the roughest places I've ever been out...first place I ever encountered driving licenses being scanned at the door (back in 2003).
Old May 31st 2011, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Is that you weebie?

I think they all have pluses and minus and sometimes judgements can be made without really fully knowing an area.

To look at their positives Mt Gravatt is a long established suburb, has some lovely hilly pockets, good schools, with beautiful trees convenient to the busway and the city - I would much prefer to live there than Carindale.

Sunnybank is a vibrant multicultural place with great south east asian shopping, dining and some lovely streets and parks. One of the few Brisbane outer suburbs that feels alive.

Shailer Park is a lot more picturesque than Carindale in parts with the Koala Centre and lovely hills and designer hillside houses.

While honesty about a place is helpful blanket statements seem less so.
Old May 31st 2011, 11:16 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Is that you weebie?

I think they all have pluses and minus and sometimes judgements can be made without really fully knowing an area.

To look at their positives Mt Gravatt is a long established suburb, has some lovely hilly pockets, good schools, with beautiful trees convenient to the busway and the city - I would much prefer to live there than Carindale.

Sunnybank is a vibrant multicultural place with great south east asian shopping, dining and some lovely streets and parks. One of the few Brisbane outer suburbs that feels alive.

Shailer Park is a lot more picturesque than Carindale in parts with the Koala Centre and lovely hills and designer hillside houses.

While honesty about a place is helpful blanket statements seem less so.
Honestly, my view is that Mt Gravatt is an old suburb, somewhat rundown, full of crap timber houses on busy streets with pockets of unspeakable crime.

Sunnybank is certainly vibrant and the nearest you could get to living in Asia whilst living in Australia. If you want an Asian lifestyle in Australia it's a great place to live. It is civilised, and if I had to choose between Sunnybank, Alexandra Hills and Shailer Park, I would live in Sunnybank in an instant.

I think you will find the Koala Park is actually in a suburb called Daisy Hill. Daisy Hill is an ok suburb with new developments, near to Shailer Park which is a cheaper, fringe suburb near to a large shopping centre where I have seen people with bare feet and pyjamas.

Carindale is a relatively non-descript though clean and convenient suburb, in my view. It has quite a few Mcmansions and is handy for a city or bayside commute. I wouldn't choose to live there, but I have lived there in the past and it seemed ok.

Honestly, people have different views. These are mine.
Old May 31st 2011, 11:30 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, my view is that Mt Gravatt is an old suburb, somewhat rundown, full of crap timber houses on busy streets with pockets of unspeakable crime.
Certainly from the main through roads you could get that impression... but long time Brisbane residents that I know consider Mt Gravatt a good suburb, they even referred to it as 'old money' - which I'll admit surprised me.

I'm a bit perplexed by the unspeakable crime though...what's that all about??
Old May 31st 2011, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

BTW you sure you're not thinking of Upper Mt Gravatt near Garden City? Mt Gravatt is sleepy hollow full of quiet family streets.

Thinking about areas like this: Mt Gravatt

Sunnybank is certainly vibrant and the nearest you could get to living in Asia whilst living in Australia. If you want an Asian lifestyle in Australia it's a great place to live. It is civilised, and if I had to choose between Sunnybank, Alexandra Hills and Shailer Park, I would live in Sunnybank in an instant.
That would be my choice as well.

I think you will find the Koala Park is actually in a suburb called Daisy Hill. Daisy Hill is an ok suburb with new developments, near to Shailer Park which is a cheaper, fringe suburb near to a large shopping centre where I have seen people with bare feet and pyjamas.
Yes but it is right next door to Daisy Hill and the good part of Daisy Hill continues into Shailer Park "in parts". It is only an artifical boundary on a map after all not a berlin wall with checkpoints.

I'm sure some of the people who live in houses like this for only $650,000 or this for $450,000 are happy with their lot.

Carindale is a relatively non-descript though clean and convenient suburb, in my view. It has quite a few Mcmansions and is handy for a city or bayside commute. I wouldn't choose to live there, but I have lived there in the past and it seemed ok.
Prefer Mt Gravatt. A lot nicer, more central and beautiful. Each to their own

Honestly, people have different views. These are mine.
As I said nothing wrong with being honest just "Some people like living in crap areas." just didn't seem overly helpful....I agree with some of your opinions btw.
Old May 31st 2011, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld
Certainly from the main through roads you could get that impression... but long time Brisbane residents that I know consider Mt Gravatt a good suburb, they even referred to it as 'old money' - which I'll admit surprised me.

I'm a bit perplexed by the unspeakable crime though...what's that all about??
I think the "old money" comment would be a very localised view There is that pocket perched on the side of the mountain overlooking Mt Gravatt central that may have drawn that opinion from some locals but not wider Brisbane. Neighbouring Holland Park West a lot more so.
Old May 31st 2011, 11:57 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by fish.01
I think the "old money" comment would be a very localised view There is that pocket perched on the side of the mountain overlooking Mt Gravatt central that may have drawn that opinion from some locals but not wider Brisbane. Neighbouring Holland Park West a lot more so.
Hmmm, I know Holland Park West has a couple of 'millionnaire's rows', but by and large I wouldn't get too excited over it. Holland Park itself maybe. Ultimately these suburbs are quite diverse in character. There are beautiful, leafy parts...nextdoor to sections of more, ahem, 'classic' fibro sheds with cyclone fences and little greenery.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, I know Holland Park West has a couple of 'millionnaire's rows', but by and large I wouldn't get too excited over it. Holland Park itself maybe. Ultimately these suburbs are quite diverse in character. There are beautiful, leafy parts...nextdoor to sections of more, ahem, 'classic' fibro sheds with cyclone fences and little greenery.
Holland Park West and Tarragindi are slightly more sought after addresses I reckon. But I like Holland Park and Mt Gravatt just as much these days. I went and ate out in Mt Gravatt a few weeks ago and it was pretty happening for a week night. Thanks to the mosque in the area there were also a few middle eastern families sitting in outside restaurants with the shisha pipe going, smelled great. I've told one of my friends they should start looking around Mt Gravatt as the house prices are still quite reasonable but schooling and access to the city are pretty good.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is very nice in parts but I wouldn't get overly excited by all of it either...but it is the place on the southside that the "old money" perched itself up the side of the large hill overlooking the city. This person being the most notable example from my memory.

Around this area.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:21 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously this is your opinion....Don't agree with anything you've said.

Wonder were you live ???? Do you dare tell us ??
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:42 am
Not actually a squirrel

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Obviously this is your opinion....Don't agree with anything you've said.

Wonder were you live ???? Do you dare tell us ??
Yes. Another crap part of the crap city that is Brisbane.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:44 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Another crap part of the crap city that is Brisbane.
That narrows it down then eh ?? Wonder why you won't be more specific ?? Maybe not live up to your expectations ???
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:51 am
Not actually a squirrel

That narrows it down then eh ?? Wonder why you won't be more specific ?? Maybe not live up to your expectations ???
I'm sorry, I am having trouble understanding you.

Are you, on an anonymous forum, requesting my specific locale? For obvious reasons, I will not be providing that information.

As to whether where I live (if that's what you mean) lives up to my expectations, then, yes it does. Continually.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:51 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Paul Keating is clearly the only one allowed to know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.