Brisbane

Old Sep 4th 2002, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

susmac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brisbane

Originally posted by Carolyn:

Glad to hear so many of you are coming to Brisbane. We are what you might call veterans in that we have been here 6 years but we'd love to meet up with some of you guys and give you the benefit of our years of experience(?!) We live in Heritage Park - a newish suburb in the Logan area - we would welcome any visitors or are happy to travel.

Good luck with all the last minute 'stuff' - a bit stressful as I remember it. Good idea to break the journey on the way here, especially when you have children to think of.

Carolyn, Paul and Sebastian (2)

Count us in, we hope to be there by Christmas . We'll be in Regents Park with the in laws to begin with
Susan
Old Sep 4th 2002, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Kershaw4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi lovely to hear from so many people going to Brisbane. We are arriving on November 20th. It will be great to meet up with everybody and all those lovely cute little ones however we have two not so cute teenagers and it would be good for them if we could meet up with other teenage families. We have two girls aged 16 and 18. Anybody out there with simialr aged young people.
Originally posted by Carolyn:

Glad to hear so many of you are coming to Brisbane. We are what you might call veterans in that we have been here 6 years but we'd love to meet up with some of you guys and give you the benefit of our years of experience(?!) We live in Heritage Park - a newish suburb in the Logan area - we would welcome any visitors or are happy to travel.

Good luck with all the last minute 'stuff' - a bit stressful as I remember it. Good idea to break the journey on the way here, especially when you have children to think of.

Carolyn, Paul and Sebastian (2)
Old Sep 8th 2002, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Carolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by susmac:

Count us in, we hope to be there by Christmas . We'll be in Regents Park with the in laws to begin with
Susan
Just a stone's throw away (well almost) - send us an email when you get here.
Carolyn
Old Sep 8th 2002, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

WARDY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bsftaylorm:
OK guys, who is heading off to Brisbane in the next few months to start a new life? If these guys going to Perth are going to have a get together, then I don't see why we shouldn't.

What are peoples timescales and situations.

Look forward to your replies, and if the visa hasn't come through yet, hang on in there and best of luck.

Mark, Kelly and girls
Hi, we are heading for the Gold Coast (Burleigh Heads or Palm Beach area) think this is close enough to count. Our visa application went in to London at the end of October 2001, so we will be one of the last ones out there!! Trying to keep smiling.
Caryn, Tony & Thomas (12)
PS anyone got any good put down lines for all the people at work who keep asking, just about ever day, whether we've heard about the visa!!!! They are driving me nuts!:scared:
Old Sep 8th 2002, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point

Just an idea,, but how does the 2 finger salute sound? hehehehehe wont matter when you get your visa if you have no friends

Yvonne

6 days til we leave, 8 til we arrive. WATCH OUT MELBOURNE

Originally posted by WARDY:
PS anyone got any good put down lines for all the people at work who keep asking, just about ever day, whether we've heard about the visa!!!! They are driving me nuts!:scared:
Old Sep 8th 2002, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Brisbane

OK guys, who is heading off to Brisbane in the next few months to start a new life? If these guys going to Perth are going to have a get together, then I don't see why we shouldn't.

We are going via a spouse sponsored visa (my wife is a Queenslander, and I don't mean the house) with 2 young kids and another on the way. Going end of September, spending a week in Singapore to break the journey and have a rest! Then we start our new life. Can't wait.

Look forward to your replies, and if the visa hasn't come through yet, hang on in there and best of luck.

Mark, Kelly and girls
Old Sep 8th 2002, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

Originally posted by karenvirginia:
alan and i are only at the very first step at the moment. from great barr we hope to come to gold coast area as soon as go ahead given. we are using the migration by descent route as my mom was born out there. she passed away many years ago and i've only just found out that i'm eligible, papers confirmed and sent out to oz only last month so we have a while to wait yet.
alan is a builder and we hope to build our own place. does anyone know much about the first home grant? it looks like its available to us poms!
anyway we wish you luck on your big move, only a few weeks now!
by the way, how did you decide on what to take with you, how did you get rid of the stuff left behind and what are your shipping costs like?
hope thats not too nosy!
we'd love to hear from you,
alan and karen
Old Sep 8th 2002, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Grotbags is an unknown quantity at this point

Hoping to go to Brisbane area, probably Bayside suburbs first half of next year, But only been waiting 13 months so far so could have a way to go....!!

Karen, would love to pick your brains re building a house out there as we have been considering that as well. Hubby is in construction (Wall and Floor Tiler) - any idea of the construction job market in the area?

Debbie
Old Sep 8th 2002, 8:58 pm
Jaj

>On Sun, 08 Sep 2002 17:26:00 +0000, karenvirginia <[email protected]> wrote:
    >we are using the migration by descent route as my mom was born out there. she
    >passed away many years ago and i've only just found out that i'm eligible, papers
    >confirmed and sent out to oz only last month so we have a while to wait yet.

I think you mean citizenship by descent, not migration by descent

Jeremy

Old Sep 9th 2002, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

bsftaylorm is an unknown quantity at this point

alan and i are only at the very first step at the moment. from great barr we hope to come to gold coast area as soon as go ahead given. we are using the migration by descent route as my mom was born out there. she passed away many years ago and i've only just found out that i'm eligible, papers confirmed and sent out to oz only last month so we have a while to wait yet.
alan is a builder and we hope to build our own place. does anyone know much about the first home grant? it looks like its available to us poms!
anyway we wish you luck on your big move, only a few weeks now!
by the way, how did you decide on what to take with you, how did you get rid of the stuff left behind and what are your shipping costs like?
hope thats not too nosy!
we'd love to hear from you,
alan and karen
Alan & Karen

We live in Kingswinford at the moment - a hop, skip and jump from you guys. First home grant will be available to you if you have never owned a house in Oz before. I think it is currently $7,000.

We took a decision that we would start afresh in Brisbane. We have sold all our furniture, and saved about £3,000 on shipping and insurance. We reckin this will be enough to set up a fairly modest home. Did some investigations on furniture prices in Brisbane - went to Freedom Furniture (www.freedom.com.au I think), and Captain Snooze (for beds). Also decided to ditch most of our electrical stuff - freezers and washing machines don't travel well, plus the plugs are different (not a major concern unless you have no clue about electrics like me), so looked at Retravision for all our electrical goods.

Shipping costs for our stuff are £2,000 with Crown, plus 4.2% of replacement value as insurance. Remember though, we have taken no furniture except that for the baby. Lots of toys mind!

Hope this helps. If you want to talk less publicly, send me a private message or email me.

Mark
Old Sep 13th 2002, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

cazsue is an unknown quantity at this point

We are going via a spouse sponsored visa (my wife is a Queenslander, and I don't mean the house) with 2 young kids and another on the way. Going end of September, spending a week in Singapore to break the journey and have a rest! Then we start our new life. Can't wait.

Mark, Kelly and girls

Been in Brissie a couple of months now, I think it's a great idea to meet up with everyone sometime.

Just let me know where and when.

Regards

Carmen
Old Sep 22nd 2002, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Stevebecks:
Hoping to go to Brisbane area, probably Bayside suburbs first half of next year, But only been waiting 13 months so far so could have a way to go....!!

Karen, would love to pick your brains re building a house out there as we have been considering that as well. Hubby is in construction (Wall and Floor Tiler) - any idea of the construction job market in the area?

Debbie
sorry so long to reply, debbie.
been having trouble registering and with password resets.
anyway, on thursday my certificate of australian citizenship arrived and i'm on cloud9! this came really quick, next thing, i think - is to fill out alan's visa request, then await instructions for medicals.
as for the building we will have to find out more when there, but we have lookedat land prices and some great bargains out thereas long as we get a plot with water and electric service already. wethink probably that we'll buy a caravan to live in to begin with....
myimmediate thoughts are on trying to sell our clutter, going to send some china and silver to auction and sort out stuff which may be worth something. worst worry is two cats, i just hope that whoever buysthe house would like them? wishful thinking i know!
keep in touch
karen
Old Sep 22nd 2002, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

sorry so long to reply, debbie.
been having trouble registering and with password resets.
anyway, on thursday my certificate of australian citizenship arrived and i'm on cloud9! this came really quick, next thing, i think - is to fill out alan's visa request, then await instructions for medicals.
as for the building we will have to find out more when there, but we have lookedat land prices and some great bargains out thereas long as we get a plot with water and electric service already. wethink probably that we'll buy a caravan to live in to begin with....
myimmediate thoughts are on trying to sell our clutter, going to send some china and silver to auction and sort out stuff which may be worth something. worst worry is two cats, i just hope that whoever buysthe house would like them? wishful thinking i know!
keep in touch
karen

What a great idea! BBQ by the pool/beach, even if it is cold it can't be as bad as another winter over here ! We are just about to send our application for PR and will be settling around Brisbane, hope we are not in for a mammoth wait, the agent is saying 50 weeks (im not sure I totally believe him though) It would be great to meet some Brits when we arrive.
Oh no how many more winters do I have to bear !.....

Tinaj