Brisbane

Old Jul 3rd 2002, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

bsftaylorm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brisbane

OK guys, who is heading off to Brisbane in the next few months to start a new life? If these guys going to Perth are going to have a get together, then I don't see why we shouldn't.

What are peoples timescales and situations.

We are going via a spouse sponsored visa (my wife is a Queenslander, and I don't mean the house) with 2 young kids and another on the way. Going end of September, spending a week in Singapore to break the journey and have a rest! Then we start our new life. Can't wait.

Look forward to your replies, and if the visa hasn't come through yet, hang on in there and best of luck.

Mark, Kelly and girls
Old Jul 3rd 2002, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

britbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brisbane

Hi Mark
We are off to Brissy at the end of August with a week in Kula Lumpur and Penang.
Applied Dec 2000 non IT and recieved our visas at the end of May 2002
Keep me posted to the meet up
Britbird
Old Jul 3rd 2002, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

owen27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We are heading to Brisbane end of September, going straight there. just want to start our new life. Would love to have a get together. We have three young children ages 6, 3 and 1 (on 17 july)

Would love to keep in contact. do you know where in Brissy you are heading? We are looking at logan area (or there abouts).
Old Jul 4th 2002, 2:20 am
Andrew

>[email protected] wrote > Hello all, Does anyone know of a meeting place
    >where migrants may meet socially in the Brisbane area.

No such thing at the moment. We sure could have used one when we arrived though.
There are French, German, Spanish, Italian, Polish clubs, Czech, Russians, etc for
immigrants but no English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish clubs as far as I'm aware.

Good places to meet could include:

Mt Coot-ha park for big picnic (beautiful tropical trees/lawns, etc) Riverside
restaurants in CBD/Southbank. Expensive but great views. Southport/Surfers Paradise
for great beach get-together (but 1 hr from Brissie). A migrant with a big 'yard' for
a BBQ (rules us out!).

and loads others I haven't a clue about!

Good luck, AndyH

Old Jul 4th 2002, 4:27 am
Thunder Ace

owen27 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi We are heading to Brisbane end of September, going straight there. just want to
    > start our new life. Would love to have a get together. We have three young children
    > ages 6, 3 and 1 (on 17 july)
    >
    > Would love to keep in contact. do you know where in Brissy you are heading? We are
    > looking at logan area (or there abouts).

Ooh yeah, I'm up for that. Got a PR visa recently, now selling the house and then I'm
off. Two kids in tow, we'd love to meet other newbies when we arrive.

Thunder Ace

Old Jul 4th 2002, 7:45 am
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Hi Mark,

Count us in. We have our PR visas and are hopefully heading out end of September also hoping to have a stopover in Singapore.

Keep in touch and we all met in Brisbane.

See you all there

Susan, Colin & Emma
Old Jul 4th 2002, 10:20 am
Dean Chapman

Hi all, We have just returned from Brissy after validating our visas and visiting
relatives, etc. Loved every minute of it (we went for a month) and didn't want to
come back to England. We plan to return in the next couple of years to settle
permanently We actually bought some land while we were out there, a 2 acre block in
Jimboomba, which cost us £22,000! Now deciding what to build on it (loads of
arguments! All the best with your travels. Dean, Karen (another QLD'er) and
Jayden.(Hastings, UK) .

"bsftaylorm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > OK guys, who is heading off to Brisbane in the next few months to start a new life?
    > If these guys going to Perth are going to have a get together, then I don't see why
    > we shouldn't.
    >
    > What are peoples timescales and situations.
    >
    > We are going via a spouse sponsored visa (my wife is a Queenslander, and I don't
    > mean the house) with 2 young kids and another on the way. Going end of September,
    > spending a week in Singapore to break the journey and have a rest! Then we start
    > our new life. Can't wait.
    >
    > Look forward to your replies, and if the visa hasn't come through yet, hang on in
    > there and best of luck.
    >
    > Mark, Kelly and girls
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 4th 2002, 10:20 am
Graham Day

Hi All

Wa arrived in Aus in Jan, and now live in the Brissy area having been to Perth
and Sydney.

Apparently the weather is unseasonably cold (22 C during the day and about 6 C at
night) for mid winter.

We would be interested in an expats barbie too.

Cheers GDay

"heading downunder 2002" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > Count us in. We have our PR visas and are hopefully heading out end of September
    > also hoping to have a stopover in Singapore.
    >
    > Keep in touch and we all met in Brisbane.
    >
    > See you all there
    >
    > Susan, Colin & Emma
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 4th 2002, 11:12 am
Wannabe Ausie

MikenWendy is an unknown quantity at this point

Myself, wife and 3 kids (9,12,13) are going to the brisbane area in 12 days to "have a look around" and we're staying for 5 weeks. We have applied for our visa (investment linked) and hope to do the move Feb 03.

We would love to meet up with anyone out there to share information/experiences.

Mike.
Old Jul 4th 2002, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

kango_jack will become famous soon enoughkango_jack will become famous soon enough

Hi
We are hoping to get to Brisbane before the end of the year, (Bayside) - providing the Visa arrives soon........
We stayed with family at Wellington Point for 3 weeks in May and can't wait to get back.
Would definatly be interested in some sort of get together and support group for when we get out there.
Hope to see you soon
Paul, Annie & Jack(1)
Old Jul 4th 2002, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Hi sounds good to me ,but by the time we get out there you will all be well aclimatized.We have only just sent skills assessment in but hope to settle in the Brisbane area,so keep us posted once you get there.
donna and family
Old Jul 4th 2002, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

bsftaylorm is an unknown quantity at this point

Everyone.

Sounds like a barbie is a good way to get started - maybe during the Christmas holidays (can't believe I used Barbie and Christmas in the same sentence, although I have 2 baby girls, so it's only a matter of time!). Once we get out there will post another message on here, so keep reading all those planning to be out there too.

Originally posted by owen27
Hi
We are heading to Brisbane end of September, going straight there. just want to start our new life. Would love to have a get together. We have three young children ages 6, 3 and 1 (on 17 july)

Would love to keep in contact. do you know where in Brissy you are heading? We are looking at logan area (or there abouts).
Owen27

We are hoping to settle in Samford (Tim Sorrell country for any veteran posters - met him when we were there in May), although I guess it depends on where I get a job. Will probably rent in Ferny Hills/Grove for 6 months. Definitely Northside though.

Keep the replies coming in - the more the merrier!!

Mark, Kelly & the girls

PS Third baby due on 12 December, so Christmas may be a little early to be entertaining so many!
Old Jul 5th 2002, 10:20 pm
Hills

We're well and truly here already in Brisbane. I'm a local, and hubby migrated
12years ago now. Maybe the BBQ is at our place??? Bit cold at the moment though. It
would have to be lunch time. 22 C during the day, but down to probably 5 or 7 during
the night. LJ

bsftaylorm wrote:

> OK guys, who is heading off to Brisbane in the next few months to start a new life?
    > If these guys going to Perth are going to have a get together, then I don't see why
    > we shouldn't.
    >
    > What are peoples timescales and situations.
    >
    > We are going via a spouse sponsored visa (my wife is a Queenslander, and I don't
    > mean the house) with 2 young kids and another on the way. Going end of September,
    > spending a week in Singapore to break the journey and have a rest! Then we start
    > our new life. Can't wait.
    >
    > Look forward to your replies, and if the visa hasn't come through yet, hang on in
    > there and best of luck.
    >
    > Mark, Kelly and girls
    >
    > --

Old Jul 9th 2002, 5:20 pm
Robert Brockway

Andrew <[email protected]> wrote:
    :>[email protected] wrote > Hello all, Does anyone know of a meeting place
    :>where migrants may meet socially in the Brisbane area.

: No such thing at the moment. We sure could have used one when we arrived though.
    : There are French, German, Spanish, Italian, Polish clubs, Czech, Russians, etc for
    : immigrants but no English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish clubs as far as I'm aware.

There's an Irish club in the city. Forgotten the name (The Irish Club maybe

Had lunch there a few months back. Good food.

: Good places to meet could include:

: Mt Coot-ha park for big picnic (beautiful tropical trees/lawns, etc) Riverside
    : restaurants in CBD/Southbank. Expensive but great views. Southport/Surfers Paradise
    : for great beach get-together (but 1 hr from Brissie). A migrant with a big 'yard'
    : for a BBQ (rules us out!).

I highly recomend the new "Roma Street Parklands". It's better than South Bank if
you're after a nice picnic/walking spot. Even alot of locals haven't found this
one yet

Oh, and if you do visit the Roma Street Parklands be sure to read the really bad
poetry etched into Solid stone near the main square (You'll know it when you see it).
This poetry is really bad I nearly fell of my roller blades while reading it
(because I was laughing Normally I wouldn't put down anyone's poetry but you just
have to see this

: and loads others I haven't a clue about!

There are many good spots. I've lived here for quite a while (soon to be winging my
way to Canada I hope and I'm still discovering interesting places.

The Brisbane State forest really is full of walking tracks (easy though to very
hard). I did one last weekend which ends in a natural "observation point" which
overlooks the low lands and then right out to the Islands. It is a natural granite
platform sitting there on the edge of Mt Nebo ensuring unobstructed views.

Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. Email: [email protected]
ICQ: 104781119 WWW: robert.timetraveller.org "Pleeeese God
deliver me his arse" --Mustosnuggs (seen during an
online game of Britannia).

Old Sep 4th 2002, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Carolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bsftaylorm:
OK guys, who is heading off to Brisbane in the next few months to start a new life? If these guys going to Perth are going to have a get together, then I don't see why we shouldn't.

What are peoples timescales and situations.

We are going via a spouse sponsored visa (my wife is a Queenslander, and I don't mean the house) with 2 young kids and another on the way. Going end of September, spending a week in Singapore to break the journey and have a rest! Then we start our new life. Can't wait.

Look forward to your replies, and if the visa hasn't come through yet, hang on in there and best of luck.

Mark, Kelly and girls
Glad to hear so many of you are coming to Brisbane. We are what you might call veterans in that we have been here 6 years but we'd love to meet up with some of you guys and give you the benefit of our years of experience(?!) We live in Heritage Park - a newish suburb in the Logan area - we would welcome any visitors or are happy to travel.

Good luck with all the last minute 'stuff' - a bit stressful as I remember it. Good idea to break the journey on the way here, especially when you have children to think of.

Carolyn, Paul and Sebastian (2)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.