Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bringing a TV from the UK

Bringing a TV from the UK

Old Oct 21st 2004, 11:55 am
Melbourne bound

paul_d will become famous soon enoughpaul_d will become famous soon enough
Default Bringing a TV from the UK

I am about to purchase a new TV here in the UK, but I wanted to make sure that it is possible (and not too expensive) to convert it for use when I get to OZ next year.
I believe it is possible to use a local tuner (e.g. video bought in OZ) and pass the signal to the TV over scart, but what if i want the built-in tuner converted?
Does anyone have any experience of this?
Old Oct 21st 2004, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Knocker43 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bringing a TV from the UK

Originally Posted by paul_d
I am about to purchase a new TV here in the UK, but I wanted to make sure that it is possible (and not too expensive) to convert it for use when I get to OZ next year.
I believe it is possible to use a local tuner (e.g. video bought in OZ) and pass the signal to the TV over scart, but what if i want the built-in tuner converted?
Does anyone have any experience of this?
Hi Paul,

We brought several TV's of various sizes & qualities with us - I wish I hadn't bothered. Basically the NTSC/PAL format issue doesn't seem to affect the picture - it will display fine, but there is no sound - just a hiss.
Buying a video over here and inputing directly from that to the TV does work - i.e. using the video rather than TV tuner; but is only possible via composite AV inputs (the yellow (video), red & white (sound) sockets). SCART is virtually unheard of over here, it's a Euro thing methinks - none of the videos / DVD players I've seen seem to have SCART (though you can find the cables in some shops).

You can have your TV converted, but this will cost you 3/4 the price of a colour portable anyway and is only really worth it if you have already bought a top-notch big screen job and would lose too much flogging it.

If you must buy one now, make sure it has composite AV inputs; otherwise just rough it with whatever you have or can pick up second hand till you get here. If you can bear to wait, you'll get more for your money over here and avoid having to ship it. We had to wait 8 weeks for our shipment to arrive and had to buy a telly anyway. My big UK telly is now a Playstation monitor!

Hope this helps
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

There are TVs available in the UK that are multi-region so they should work in Oz. I needed a TV recently and considered buying one. A 21" one (I'm not interested in some wide screen thing) was available at a cost of around £110. Took me an age to find it on the Internet.

I can look up the details if you're interested.

In the end I found a reconditioned standard TV for £60 on Curry's web site so I thought I'd save myself the shipping costs and bought that one to use before we leave.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:09 pm
Melbourne bound

Originally Posted by Knocker43
Hi Paul,

We brought several TV's of various sizes & qualities with us - I wish I hadn't bothered. Basically the NTSC/PAL format issue doesn't seem to affect the picture - it will display fine, but there is no sound - just a hiss.
Buying a video over here and inputing directly from that to the TV does work - i.e. using the video rather than TV tuner; but is only possible via composite AV inputs (the yellow (video), red & white (sound) sockets). SCART is virtually unheard of over here, it's a Euro thing methinks - none of the videos / DVD players I've seen seem to have SCART (though you can find the cables in some shops).

You can have your TV converted, but this will cost you 3/4 the price of a colour portable anyway and is only really worth it if you have already bought a top-notch big screen job and would lose too much flogging it.

If you must buy one now, make sure it has composite AV inputs; otherwise just rough it with whatever you have or can pick up second hand till you get here. If you can bear to wait, you'll get more for your money over here and avoid having to ship it. We had to wait 8 weeks for our shipment to arrive and had to buy a telly anyway. My big UK telly is now a Playstation monitor!

Hope this helps
Thanks, that has cleared it up for me.
I think I'll just spray paint the old one silver for now.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:13 pm
Melbourne bound

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
There are TVs available in the UK that are multi-region so they should work in Oz. I needed a TV recently and considered buying one. A 21" one (I'm not interested in some wide screen thing) was available at a cost of around £110. Took me an age to find it on the Internet.

I can look up the details if you're interested.

In the end I found a reconditioned standard TV for £60 on Curry's web site so I thought I'd save myself the shipping costs and bought that one to use before we leave.
I didn't know you could get multi-region TVs.
I'll take a look on the internet to see if I can find a suitable one.

Thanks
Paul.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:22 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

You probably don't know but this one comes up a lot - twice today already.

Basically the no sound and general incompatibility problem is to do with PAL, the system used to transmit the pictures and sound.

UK uses PAL I

Australia uses PAL B/G

If you buy a TV that can easily switch between the two you should have no problems - it should be on your on-screen menu for newer sets or in the technical specifications part of your manual under TV SYSTEM - for example, mine has :
Television System: B/G,I,D/K,M
This means I can change between any of the 4 systems depending on where in the world I am.

In fact, for some Sony sets (can't vouch for other models), even if it has PAL I only, it's still possible to change to B/G without having to open up the set- but that's another story.

Cheers,

Big.

Last edited by Big Galah; Oct 21st 2004 at 1:26 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:31 pm
Melbourne bound

Originally Posted by Big Galah

Basically the no sound and general incompatibility problem is to do with PAL, the system used to transmit the pictures and sound.

UK uses PAL I

Australia uses PAL B/G

If you buy a TV that can easily switch between the two you should have no problems - it should be on your on-screen menu for newer sets or in the technical specifications part of your manual under TV SYSTEM - for example, mine has :

This means I can change between any of the 4 systems depending on where in the world I am.

In fact, for some Sony sets (can't vouch for other models), even if it has PAL I only, it's still possible to change to B/G without having to open up the set- but that's another story.

Cheers,

Big.
Thanks Big. It was a Sony I was thinking of. I'll ask the shop assistant about this feature....
Old Oct 21st 2004, 3:35 pm
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Big Galah
Must be Groundhog-thread day
Old Oct 25th 2004, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by paul_d
I didn't know you could get multi-region TVs.
I'll take a look on the internet to see if I can find a suitable one.
As someone else said, it's PAL-B/G that is the standard in Oz whereas it's PAL-I here.

As I mentioned earlier, these "multisystem" ones needn't cost a fortune. I came up with these recently:

Samsung CI21N112TZ about £140
Samsung CW21M063NS £150 at Argos
Panasonic TX21CK1 £185 inclusive with stand at www.appliance-direct.co.uk
Sharp LC15B4E 15" lcd tv £300