Reload this Page >

Bringing our Motorhome/Campervan from NZ to AUS

Bringing our Motorhome/Campervan from NZ to AUS

Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

Mulk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing our Motorhome/Campervan from NZ to AUS

Hello from Auckland!
We do plan to travel for a year in Australia and would like to bring our own campervan. The first idea was to buy one in AUS, but the building quality is so poor and the prices are just crazy.
We do own a German build campervan based on a 3.5t Fiat Ducato 2.3l with 120HP. I do know that I can bring the van with a "carnet", but have to ship it back to NZ after a year - which works for us.
So here are our questions
- do we need a special drivers license for 3.5t, what about over 3.5t
- do you have RUC (Road User Charge) for diesel cars - if so, how do I pay
- do we get our Fiat serviced
- do we need an additional insurance
Anything we should keep in mind.
Thanks for your support!
MULK
Old Jun 30th 2011, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing our Motorhome/Campervan from NZ to AUS

Originally Posted by Mulk
Hello from Auckland!
We do plan to travel for a year in Australia and would like to bring our own campervan. The first idea was to buy one in AUS, but the building quality is so poor and the prices are just crazy.
We do own a German build campervan based on a 3.5t Fiat Ducato 2.3l with 120HP. I do know that I can bring the van with a "carnet", but have to ship it back to NZ after a year - which works for us.
So here are our questions
- do we need a special drivers license for 3.5t, what about over 3.5t
- do you have RUC (Road User Charge) for diesel cars - if so, how do I pay
- do we get our Fiat serviced
- do we need an additional insurance
Anything we should keep in mind.
Thanks for your support!
MULK
Cannot help you with everything...but I have driven vans rated to 3.5tonnes gross weight on my Aus car licence.

No we dont have the diesel charge like you have in NZ...our diesel is priced higher at teh pump, around the same price as petrol.

Fiat Service...Yes, I would worry about this. To be honest, I have had the very discussions with the sales manager of Winnebago, as they are starting to build a lot on Fiat chassis. Where the hell in the Outback do you get parts for Fiat or any bush mechanic that knows how to work on one? You would be OK getting it serviced in SYD, BRIS, MEL etc....but when that water pump goes in the Outback...mate I think you would be stuffed.

The service issue is the main reason we bought our camper van based on a Toyota - everyone knows Toyota and you can get parts. We actually carry round with us a new water pump, fuel pump, main cooling system hoses, fan and air-con belts, plug leads, spark plugs and a heap of other stuff. Even if you don't know how to change them yourself, at least you have the parts for somebody else to do it for you.

Oh and enjoy..I would love to do the 'Lap of the Map'
Old Jun 30th 2011, 5:21 am
Just Joined

Mulk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Red_V_Roger!
Thanks for your reply. Helped already a bit.
Mulk
Old Jun 30th 2011, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

boots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud of

Fiat,don't panic too much,they also trade under 'Iveco"
Iveco dealers Australia wide,due to the merger of Iveco /International Harvester.
Search Iveco,Australia, site for their range of light trucks,very sure that is what your campervan is based on.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boots
Fiat,don't panic too much,they also trade under 'Iveco"
Iveco dealers Australia wide,due to the merger of Iveco /International Harvester.
Search Iveco,Australia, site for their range of light trucks,very sure that is what your campervan is based on.
May be I have learnt something....I always thought Iveco was Ford's heavy truck brand beyond Transit?
Old Jun 30th 2011, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

boots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud of

http://www.iveco.com.au/light_commercial.htm

Iveco Dailly?Rebadged Fiat.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

http://www.iveco.com.au/Pdfs/daily_motor_home.pdf