Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Brighton/Sussex meet?

Brighton/Sussex meet?

Old Jun 16th 2006, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Stokesy has a spectacular aura aboutStokesy has a spectacular aura aboutStokesy has a spectacular aura about
Default Brighton/Sussex meet?

Hi Folks

is there anyone else in Brighton/Sussex area who is thinking of going to Oz or definitely going who would like to meet for a chat and few drinks? Either an evening thing or could meet during the day/weekend, especially if you have kids - ours are nearly 3 and 15 months.

Would be really good to talk to people about it instead of just ourselves, as not mentioning it to family yet!

bye for now,

Sarah
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

MarkO'G is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brighton/Sussex meet?

Originally Posted by Stokesy
Hi Folks

is there anyone else in Brighton/Sussex area who is thinking of going to Oz or definitely going who would like to meet for a chat and few drinks? Either an evening thing or could meet during the day/weekend, especially if you have kids - ours are nearly 3 and 15 months.

Would be really good to talk to people about it instead of just ourselves, as not mentioning it to family yet!

bye for now,

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

We are in Brighton and are off to Perth in November. Family of four 2 1/2 year old and 3 month old boys. Would be up for a meet up at some point and definitely a few beers

We have had our visa a couple of years. Made the decision recently to make the move in November. Where are you moving to? Whereabouts in Brighton are you?

Cheers

Mark
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Stokesy has a spectacular aura aboutStokesy has a spectacular aura aboutStokesy has a spectacular aura about

Hi Mark

we are in Patcham - how about you?

we haven't got anything firmed up yet. Dale is Aussie - from tasmania, so we should be able to get in ok. we have a girl of nearly 3 and a boy of 16 months. Dale applying for UK nationality at moment and then I want to get Australian. It is such a scary move for me though so that is why I would find it helpful to meet some other souls doing the same thing. It is hard when the only two people who know about our plans are each other. we don't want to mention it to family yet as they will freak!! We could be living in Australia within a year - blimey!! We really like the Central Coast though depends on work etc. Dale is skilled in aircraft and rail industry. Looked at Perth house prices and they are a shocker.

Let us know when you are free for a few sherbets.

Sarah
Old Jul 25th 2006, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Sarah,

We live close to the Sainsbury's on Lewes Rd (Just off Bear Rd). The family are me, Lara, William 2 1/2 and Oliver 3 months.

I must admit we are struggling for weekends over the next few weeks as we are away a couple of weekends and have friends down on a couple of weekends. However, we should be able to arrange my mother in law to babysit on a weekday night within the next two or three weeks.

It must be quite difficult holding your plans back from your family! Do they not suspect that you might move in the future? I found it difficult holding it back from my work mates, it was such a relief to hand in my notice and get it out in the open yesterday. We made our plans pretty clear after we came back from travelling a few years ago that we wanted to live in Australia. So it has only been a case of when with our families and friends. It was still difficult to break the news.

If you would like to meet up before going for a beer. I work facing Preston Park and Lara and the kids come down and we go over the park in my lunch hour some days. We would be happy to meet up for a chat about Oz. Would also like to meet Dale to find out about Tasmania, it was one of the places we never managed to visit and we want to get over there at some point. Not sure if Dale knows of anyone else from Tassie over here? An old mate of mine from Uni married a girl from Tassie, they were living on Hartington Rd but I have not seen him for a couple of years now.

Cheers

Mark
Old Jul 25th 2006, 8:52 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkO'G
We live close to the Sainsbury's on Lewes Rd (Just off Bear Rd). The family are me, Lara, William 2 1/2 and Oliver 3 months.

Mark
OMG we used to live on Princes street just up the back from Sainsbury. We moved to London and then back to Horsham in West Sussex. Are now in Melbourne Australia.

Tasmania is beautiful and a lovely place to live - the downside would be employment and if you miss the buzz of a bigger city (this may be an upside )

Kiwi
Old Jul 25th 2006, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by thebears
OMG we used to live on Princes street just up the back from Sainsbury. We moved to London and then back to Horsham in West Sussex. Are now in Melbourne Australia.

Tasmania is beautiful and a lovely place to live - the downside would be employment and if you miss the buzz of a bigger city (this may be an upside )

Kiwi
Hi Kiwi,

Where's Princes St? Is that up around Roundhill Crescent? We are off to Perth. We will just be going to Tassie on hols. You will be pleased to hear nothing much has changed! The Gyratory is still clogged with traffic. Sainsbury's now has a Starbuck's inside! Not sure when you left but The Gladstone pub is now pretty good.

How long have you been in Melbourne?

Cheers

Mark
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:24 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkO'G
Hi Kiwi,

Where's Princes St? Is that up around Roundhill Crescent? We are off to Perth. We will just be going to Tassie on hols. You will be pleased to hear nothing much has changed! The Gyratory is still clogged with traffic. Sainsbury's now has a Starbuck's inside! Not sure when you left but The Gladstone pub is now pretty good.

How long have you been in Melbourne?

Cheers
Mark
Its just off Ditchlng Road (sorry Princes Rd not street) we left in 96/97 about the time Churchill square got revamped.

Arrived in Melbourne in late April (this year)

Kiwi