Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A brief history of Australian Politics

A brief history of Australian Politics

Old Sep 7th 2004, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future
Default A brief history of Australian Politics

With election time coming up here, sometimes its worth looking back and seeing how good (bad) things could really be....

Some sayings of australian politicians

"Life wasn't meant to be easy" -- Former Australian Prime Minister John Malcolm Fraser

"By the year 1990, no Australian child will live in poverty" -- Former Australian Prime Minister Robert James Lee Hawke

"All the way with LBJ" -- Former Australian Prime Minister Harold Edward Holt

"Kerr's cur"
"Well may we say: 'God save the Queen', for nothing will save the Governor General" -- Former Australian Prime Minister Edward Gough Whitlam

"Two Wongs don't make a white" -- Arthur Augustus Calwell, Former Leader of the Australian Federal Parliamentary Labor Party

"Scumbags"
"The recession we had to have" -- Former Australian Prime Minister Paul John Keating

"The lucky country" -- Donald Horne. (Poor old Donald meant his book of that title to be a condemnation of Australia but most people took it as a celebration of Australia. It was such a miserable and carping book that very few people actually read it).

In reply to a woman heckler who cried out: "I would not vote for you if you were the Archangel Gabriel", Bob Menzies replied: "Madam, if I were the Archangel Gabriel, you would not be in my constituency"
"I did but see her passing by and yet I love her 'til I die" (Of the young Queen Elizabeth II). -- Sir Robert Gordon Menzies (Former Australian Prime Minister)

"We'll keep the bastards honest" -- Donald Leslie Chipp (Founder of the Australian Democrats Party)

"I am a media tart" -- Peter Douglas Beattie, Premier of Queensland

"Why are people so unkind?" -- Kamahl (Sri-Lankan origin Australian singer)

"Don't you worry about that" -- Former Queensland Premier Sir Johannes Bjelke-Petersen

"Run over the bastards" (Said to his driver when demonstrators were blocking his car). -- Former N.S.W. Premier Sir Robert Askin

"This is a good place for a village" -- John Batman, founder of Melbourne

Some Deeds of Australian Politicians

Former Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser is remembered for losing his trousers in Memphis, Tennessee.

Former Australian Prime Minister Sir William McMahon is remembered for the slit up the side of his wife's dress when he visited the United States.

Former Australian Prime Minister Sir Robert Menzies is remembered for doing nothing (which is in fact no mean feat for a politician) during his long postwar stint as Australian Prime Minister but Leftists always remember that he authorized the sale of pig-iron to the Japanese before the second world war.

Former leader of the Australian Federal Opposition Billy Snedden is remembered for dying on top of a Kings Cross prostitute.

Former Australian Prime Minister Harold Holt is remembered for being eaten by a shark.

Former Australian Prime Minister Bob Hawke is remembered for crying all the time.

Australian Prime Minister John Winston Howard is known for his hats and winning an election despite promising new taxes

Former Queensland Premier Sir Johannes Bjelke-Petersen is remembered for feeding the chooks (his name for journalists), permitting the tearing down of old buildings, sooling his police onto demonstrators and being a "Bible-bashing bastard", in Gough Whitlam's phrase.

And someone virtually nobody seems to remember, even though he was not so long ago Premier of Australia's most populous State (NSW): Those who do remember Barrie Unsworth, however, remember him as being prone to wearing cardigans!