Reload this Page >

Bricklaying on sunshine coast

Bricklaying on sunshine coast

Old Apr 5th 2007, 5:48 pm
MOGGY

MOOGTHEFOOD is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Bricklaying on sunshine coast

Hi everyone
My first time on BEP so go gentle, my family are at the medicals stage of the process and hopeing to be on the sunshine coast later this year. I am after advise on bricklaying.

I am fully qualified here in britain ( city + guilds and NVQ's ) with 19 years experience, but was wondering if i would be able to start work straight away within reason, or would i have to retrain first to the ozzy equivilent qualifications. Also if possible what sort of money the brickies on sunshine coast are earning.

Any info will be well appreciated.

Neil
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

sam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nice
Default Re: Bricklaying on sunshine coast

Originally Posted by MOOGTHEFOOD
Hi everyone
My first time on BEP so go gentle, my family are at the medicals stage of the process and hopeing to be on the sunshine coast later this year. I am after advise on bricklaying.

I am fully qualified here in britain ( city + guilds and NVQ's ) with 19 years experience, but was wondering if i would be able to start work straight away within reason, or would i have to retrain first to the ozzy equivilent qualifications. Also if possible what sort of money the brickies on sunshine coast are earning.

Neil
dont know but if you look at builders in mackay you will get more money up there!!!!! gemmini homes/gj gardener homes/ gold award builders.com.au
look on yell.co.au then builders any amount of graft!! the bigger the place the money tends to be a bit tighter!!!!
Old Apr 6th 2007, 4:12 pm
MOGGY

Cheers for that mate. Will have a look and see what the options are.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 9:04 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

Neil

may i suggest some serious research re jobs and availabitlity

there isnt really much call for brickies on the east coast
ive attached piccies of a local building site which is identical to almost every site around ( except commercial sites where its all cast in situte concrete )
ie timber framed building with some blockwork

regards steve
( sparkie )
Attached Files
File Type: doc
local building site.doc (334.5 KB, 218 views)
Old Apr 7th 2007, 6:27 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
may i suggest some serious research re jobs and availabitlity

there isnt really much call for brickies on the east coast
ive attached piccies of a local building site which is identical to almost every site around ( except commercial sites where its all cast in situte concrete )
ie timber framed building with some blockwork

regards steve
( sparkie )
got to disagree with you stevo. just remember the "east coast" isnt just down way its 2500kms long. its all blocks where we are.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

fox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nicefox's2oz is just really nice

Not in the trade myself but having a house built and plenty of brick work involved as with the rest of the houses on our estate.Have a good look into it. Good luck
Old Apr 7th 2007, 6:58 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73
got to disagree with you stevo. just remember the "east coast" isnt just down way its 2500kms long. its all blocks where we are.
what i mean is compared to the uk the ratio of brickies to other trades
on your average building site is completely different
ie a heck of a lot less of them

here there are far far more chippies than brickies
obviously really as most houses are timber framed with either block n render veneer or in some cases brick veneer

the building site shown in the above pictures consisted of about a dozen houses and on that site they only had one team of brickies doing the blockwork masses of chippies and two teams of renderers

i think it would be prudent to do a search on this site re brickies and available work as i seem to remember such a post recently where the guy couldnt get any decent work or money and this was backed up by several other brickies in the same boat, from that post the opposite seemed true of perth where brickies were making a killing at the time

regards steve
Old Apr 7th 2007, 11:01 am
MOGGY

Seems to be a varied difference of opinion on the subject. I have spent hours looking through the queensland jobs pages and nothing really on offer for brickies, but on the other hand i have read on BE that as in UK you just need to go around the building sites and ask for work, also it can be a case of contacts and who you know.

It's a very difficult situation, on one hand do you go to queensland and take your chances, or head to perth where the situation seems to be the same ;ie no bricklaying jobs advertised.

My own fault for being in a trade that is basically run on word of mouth, in the uk and australia apparently.

Neil
Old Apr 7th 2007, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

paula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of lightpaula 1 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone

Neil
you will get a start on the sunshine coast or Brisbane, the bricklaying is very ordinary down here, nothing to technical or extravagant unlike the UK where your trade skills are called upon.As for trade skills, it doesnt matter how much experience you have, you have to start at the bottom, if you want to work for yourself you will have to be assessed & get a licence & a blue safety card, if your going to work for someone on a self employed basis you could earn $30 hr or more depending on who you work for, I know you said you only wanted positive replies but what would be the point of that, you need to know the truth & not what you want to hear, I know of two English brickies who have struggled since getting here & one has gone back to England
Old Apr 7th 2007, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Pearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant futurePearl&Wal has a brilliant future

That's right about starting at the bottom. Friend of ours is a brickie with 15 years experience in the uk and works his nuts off from 5 am for 17$ p/hr.

But that's the Sunshine Coast for you - a really lovely place but the drawback is the wages are poor and a competitive job market for tradies.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 9:58 pm
Worongary

Seems to be a varied difference of opinion on the subject. I have spent hours looking through the queensland jobs pages and nothing really on offer for brickies, but on the other hand i have read on BE that as in UK you just need to go around the building sites and ask for work, also it can be a case of contacts and who you know.

It's a very difficult situation, on one hand do you go to queensland and take your chances, or head to perth where the situation seems to be the same ;ie no bricklaying jobs advertised.

My own fault for being in a trade that is basically run on word of mouth, in the uk and australia apparently.

Neil

hi neil
i`m not trying to put you off mate just come out here with your eyes open
and enough money to keep you and yours
should you find getting work difficult

best regards steve

ps lots of different trades have stuggled especially at the start so it not just brickies mate