Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

bricklaying in queensland ?

bricklaying in queensland ?

Old Feb 11th 2006, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

island.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant future
Default bricklaying in queensland ?

hello,
i have just read the post titled "dont bother going to queensland" it has left me somewhat confused can i give u a brief history?.....
we moved to oz oct 05 we are living on the central coast and my husband is a bricklayer, we were TOLD there was lots of work here but actualy there is none my husband assured me theres allways work in sydney if not on the central coast, the sydney paper had 2 brickie jobs in it today, 2 hours away he has only worked about 3 weeks since weve been here..not good.. apparently there is a building resession in NSW and a boom in QLD, so guess what hubby wants to move there
so my questions are....
is there a lot of work there??
will it be easy to get a job??
do u need a licence to work for someone else?? (he used to work on CIS in UK)
if you can please answer my questions i would be SO gratefull, especially JJL and PENNYHEN as i understand you are brickies yourselves?!
thanks so much...
Old Feb 11th 2006, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Red Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of lightRed Pops is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: bricklaying in queensland ?

Dear Island Girl

We are actually on the Sunshine Coast, there is work here, but not heaps, brickies get $25 -$35 dollars an hour and as long as you worked for someone you would not need a licence.

Hope that helps, it sounds as if we are all in the same boat!!

Good luck
Old Feb 11th 2006, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

Location: caerphilly, south wales, avonsleigh, melbourne as of 30/03/05!!!!
carloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by island.girl
hello,
i have just read the post titled "dont bother going to queensland" it has left me somewhat confused can i give u a brief history?.....
we moved to oz oct 05 we are living on the central coast and my husband is a bricklayer, we were TOLD there was lots of work here but actualy there is none my husband assured me theres allways work in sydney if not on the central coast, the sydney paper had 2 brickie jobs in it today, 2 hours away he has only worked about 3 weeks since weve been here..not good.. apparently there is a building resession in NSW and a boom in QLD, so guess what hubby wants to move there
so my questions are....
is there a lot of work there??
will it be easy to get a job??
do u need a licence to work for someone else?? (he used to work on CIS in UK)
if you can please answer my questions i would be SO gratefull, especially JJL and PENNYHEN as i understand you are brickies yourselves?!
thanks so much...
i think when we moved to australia, we all thought that there would be loads of work for bricklayers all over all the place (thats certainly the impression we got anyway!) when in fact we have realised that is not the case!
my hubbie(also a brickie) has started working for himself, so hopefully we will be able to get enough work for ourselves!
good luck for the future

louise
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:51 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by carloubateman
i think when we moved to australia, we all thought that there would be loads of work for bricklayers all over all the place (thats certainly the impression we got anyway!) when in fact we have realised that is not the case!
Unfortunately, many of you would heard of the Building boom that was going in, especially around 2003, and would have influenced many to migrate.

At about that time even building courses at TAFE, for the locals, increased by about 150%.

So, at that time there was a shortage, however, the boom has declined, and those local TAFE trained are also now available.

I don't know what the actual situation is, but it is obviously no-where near as good as it was.

Old Feb 11th 2006, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

carloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Unfortunately, many of you would heard of the Building boom that was going in, especially around 2003, and would have influenced many to migrate.

At about that time even building courses at TAFE, for the locals, increased by about 150%.

So, at that time there was a shortage, however, the boom has declined, and those local TAFE trained are also now available.

I don't know what the actual situation is, but it is obviously no-where near as good as it was.
that would explain a lot but never mind, im sure we can make the situation good for us, it just might take a little longer than 1st expected!
Old Feb 11th 2006, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

That sums it up, the gov seems to have forgotten to factor into the skill shortage, that housing has had a significant downturn.

Another thing they often forget to mention is a lot of demand for skilled workers is in outback/rural areas that naturally find it hard to attract workers. These jobs are also often where the $100,000 a year tradies are.

You do have to be very flexible, nearly all trade work is casual or contract labour, no work no pay basis.

Its not really a secure income, and you must be prepared to travel, they think nothing of sending you to jobs 100klm away each day, or asking you to move for months to some outback town youve probably never heard of.

Loads of the brickies that worked on the coasts in the boom are now working in Mackay or Mount Isa and a few in Darwin.

Last edited by jad n rich; Feb 11th 2006 at 4:36 am.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 4:43 am
superam74

Originally Posted by carloubateman
my hubbie(also a brickie) has started working for himself, so hopefully we will be able to get enough work for ourselves!
good luck for the future

louise
I thought finding work was gonna be quite easy with bricklaying being added to the modl & seeing news reports here in England that Brickies are in high demand in Oz.

Old Feb 11th 2006, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by superam74
I thought finding work was gonna be quite easy with bricklaying being added to the modl & seeing news reports here in England that Brickies are in high demand in Oz.
thats what we assumed when we 1st arrived, there seems to be so many brickies here in melbourne looking for work, a couple of people are saying its because the commonwealth games work is now completed, they are seeking work elsewhere! hopefully it will get better SOON!

louise