Brick veneer?

Old May 22nd 2003, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

perth-ect is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Brick veneer?

Should we avoid looking at houses made from brick veneer? What is brick veneer anyway????

Geoff & Debbie
Old May 22nd 2003, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brick veneer?

Originally posted by perth-ect
Should we avoid looking at houses made from brick veneer? What is brick veneer anyway????

Geoff & Debbie
I'm probably totally wrong as not in the trade. Would it be a timber framed house covered in sheets of bits of brick?....if you know what I mean...
Old May 22nd 2003, 10:17 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Geoff & Debbie
Brick veneer is quite simply a skin of normal sized house bricks usually built around an inner skin of timber and plasterboard
Sean
Old May 22nd 2003, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by cresta57
Brick veneer is quite simply a skin of normal sized house bricks usually built around an inner skin of timber and plasterboard
Sean

A hell of a lot of houses here are built from Breeze Blocks, and then with a brick veneer or a sort of plaster coating. Mine's built this way cos I did some alterations and had to create a hole in the wall.

You don't get houses built with two layers of bricks and a cavity here in QLD, because it never gets that cold to warrant it.

Don' know about other parts of the country.
Old May 22nd 2003, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

While on the subject of building, has anyone come across Maxim panels? Seen it in nz, not sure about oz, they seem to be like good old MDF! Think used to be called Laser Lite or something, and also something to do with Fletcher Building......just curious if anyone knows what it's like - www.maximbuilding.co.nz -

Gra...
Old May 23rd 2003, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Gra.B
While on the subject of building, has anyone come across Maxim panels? Seen it in nz, not sure about oz, they seem to be like good old MDF! Think used to be called Laser Lite or something, and also something to do with Fletcher Building......just curious if anyone knows what it's like - www.maximbuilding.co.nz -

Gra...
I think this is different to what you mean, but I belive they have built some wooden frame houses and used polystyrene instead of bricks as a fill material. This then gets a spray coating of something like plaster to make it waterproof. Inside is standard plasterboard.

This started about 10 years ago, and the problem is the frame structure they used wasn't treated timber to combat dampness. They are now finding some of these building have been leaking water and the wooden frame is starting to rot.

This is causing a major problem to the affected houses, and they have now changed the regs to ensure all new wodden frame houses use treated timber.

It's called leaky house syndrome, and the lawyer are having a field day.
Old May 23rd 2003, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers Paul, that's the sort of thing I was worried about happening with these maxim panels but I liked the speed of building & few design restrictions. Anyone else come across it?

Ta....Gra..
Old May 23rd 2003, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kiwipaul

You don't get houses built with two layers of bricks and a cavity here in QLD, because it never gets that cold to warrant it.

Don' know about other parts of the country.
Really? How come this morning my two children were fighting to see who could get nearest the fan heater in our bedroom to get dressed in front of???
Old May 23rd 2003, 6:57 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Geoff & Debbie
Most homes in WA are double brick , watch out for the Fibo homes , only worth pulling down.

Old May 23rd 2003, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

bryank is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rosy
Really? How come this morning my two children were fighting to see who could get nearest the fan heater in our bedroom to get dressed in front of???
you're fooling yourself if you think Brissie gets many cold days each year. And by cold, I mean cold compared to the UK