British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Bribing the kids (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bribing-kids-279901/)

Kelli28 Jan 25th 2005 6:44 pm

Re: Bribing the kids

we have promised the pool already got the trampoline wich is currently upside down in the garden due to winds :rolleyes: i would of promised a puppy but i must have the only child terrified of small cute animals
but the best one is he said he did not want to go if it did not snow so guess what i said... :D im very evil

RAG62 Jan 25th 2005 6:59 pm

What about...
If we move Dad wont be as ratty becasue he will not have such a demanding job and will be permanently chilled out supping a can of beer by the BBQ and therefore wont shout unless you knock his can over? :D

Richard

tracey.d Jan 25th 2005 7:57 pm

Oh dear,
I am afraid I have also promised the dog (currently standing at 2), a swimming pool and also some time ago when we first discussed Oz I kind of said they could all have their own computer in their rooms. God, I hope they have forgotten that one. Anyway, the plan is to get them outside more when we get over there so I might also offer a trampoline!!!!!!

jad n rich Jan 25th 2005 8:13 pm

Was reading yesterday when someone said their kid didnt want to go, and immediately thought someone would reply, tell him he'll get a dog/horse/pool.
:rolleyes:

Having three kids who moved out here I reckon its a crazy thing to do, most people arrive and have to rent, so the pet thing will often be difficult, majority of rental houses dont have pools, too much bother for the landlord, so thats less likely too. Getting a dogs a crazy thing to do until you are sure your are not one of the many who head back to the UK after a while.

Most mum and dads are very stressed the first few months job hunitng etc, really think most kids will feel pretty cheated once they arrive and realise the more likely realistic situation of the first year. Hows your average 7 year old gonna feel when the ponies and backyards with koalas :rolleyes: turn into mum and dad screaming at each other over wages or schools or cost of living :eek:

Not being rude just realisitic.

Paul2004 Jan 25th 2005 8:57 pm

Oh dear, we didn't need to bribe our kids, they want to go as much as us!

Can this be normal?

blossom Jan 25th 2005 9:44 pm

[QUOTE=jad n rich]Was reading yesterday when someone said their kid didnt want to go, and immediately thought someone would reply, tell him he'll get a dog/horse/pool.

I understand you write and tell us of being realistic - but it's all part of the dream - and if you want it hard enough it will happen.

I did it once, and it happened, I'm sure I can make it happen again second time around.

Oh, and before you say anything about returning to UK - this was purely down to serious health reasons and thought my daughter and husband would be better off back in the UK with family, should anything happen to me. Well here I am 11 years later, so off back this time with bribes/promises for the grandkids - the grandkids I never expected to see!

I agree we have to be realistic, but let us have our dreams too!

Blossom ;)

desperate2go Jan 25th 2005 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Hows your average 7 year old gonna feel when the ponies and backyards with koalas :rolleyes: turn into mum and dad screaming at each other over wages or schools or cost of living :eek:

Someone always has to go and ruin it by being realistic :rolleyes:
Luckily my child wont have to put up with the above- not unless i get a huge megaphone as her dad will be about 20 miles away :cool: Oh well .....I can shout at the new dog instead :p

Larissa Jan 25th 2005 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Was reading yesterday when someone said their kid didnt want to go, and immediately thought someone would reply, tell him he'll get a dog/horse/pool.

Having three kids who moved out here I reckon its a crazy thing to do, most people arrive and have to rent, so the pet thing will often be difficult, majority of rental houses dont have pools, too much bother for the landlord, so thats less likely too. Getting a dogs a crazy thing to do until you are sure your are not one of the many who head back to the UK after a while.

Most mum and dads are very stressed the first few months job hunitng etc, really think most kids will feel pretty cheated once they arrive and realise the more likely realistic situation of the first year. Hows your average 7 year old gonna feel when the ponies and backyards with koalas :rolleyes: turn into mum and dad screaming at each other over wages or schools or cost of living :eek:

Have to agree with you. We've been here 3 months and are pretty pi$$ed off with the rental. Work took a while to come through and I'm glad my kids haven't been demanding "things" as my "wish list" for general household items is pretty long itself. My 7 year old isn't impressed with her pokey little room, but she doesn't complain. It's hard adjusting to a rental after you've owned your own home and we will find it hard to get a mortgage soon as my hubby is self employed.
My 7 year old looked forward to Singapore and really enjoyed the experience though and I have to admit that I didn't come clean on the koala thing for a while... ;)
My advice would be not to promise things but explain that you believe the change of country will bring a better life in the long run. This worked for us. Also, bring lots of little things to jazz up your kids rooms; those removable stickers for walls are fab and duvets etc. are expensive here.
ATB
Larissa

tracey.d Jan 26th 2005 7:52 am

I agree with what is said about bribing the kids etc.
However, my "bribes" were said light-heartedly. I have told the kids that they can have the things I mentioned but they are not a bribe as they are all really keen to go except the oldest who changes her mind constantly. She hasn't been offered any of the things (maybe I should try it :D ).

The younger 2 have both wanted a dog for ages and I am sure they could look after one so have said that yes they probably can get one. They know that if we end up in the situation where we can't buy a house then we probably wont be allowed one.

I am sure everybody else has said it jokingly. It is just part of the envisaged new lifestyle we will all have. Pool, trampoline etc. as we will be able to have more time outside. No harm in giving them a little more to look forward to.

Kelli28 Jan 26th 2005 8:06 am

anyway its not just promising kids stuff iv promised the bloke he can have one of these american fridge frezzer things for his cans :scared: at least thats all he's been promised lol ;)

wombat42 Jan 26th 2005 8:21 am

Do you Pom Parents have to bribe your kids to get them to do anything.
People on this forum have said PC has gone mad in the UK. Is this part of it, where you have to treat 7 year old kids as young adults. If they refuse to go to school instead of punishing them with a smack or something you have to sit down with them and negotiate some sort of bribe or payoff. :rolleyes:

scissors Jan 26th 2005 8:36 am

my daughter is nearly 17 and is in two minds whether she wants to go or not,on one hand she wants to go and see and do all the things that she cant do here,and is quite exited when shes talking about it,and on the other hand its a big rench especially for a girl of her age to leave all her friends,at the moment she is enjoying life,i really wish we d have done it when she was younger,but oh well we didnt :rolleyes:
Anyway, i dont really consider them bribes ive just pointed out the plus side of moving to oz, and i ll do my adsolute best to give her all the things she wants when we get there,of course she does realise that she wont get all these things straight away and she knows that she ll have to get a job herself to help pay for some of these things,it wont be all handed to her on a plate,she works weekends now to help to pay for the things she wants, so most of these things i dont think are unrealistic in time of course.

tracey

wombat42 Jan 26th 2005 8:48 am

Originally Posted by kelli28
we have promised the pool already got the trampoline wich is currently upside down in the garden due to winds :rolleyes: i would of promised a puppy but i must have the only child terrified of small cute animals
but the best one is he said he did not want to go if it did not snow so guess what i said... :D im very evil

During winter in Many parts of Victoria, Tasmania and NSW it does snow and
there are ski fields and ski resorts in Australia. My car was covered in snow last winter at Mt Buffolo in Victoria. Some people know very little about OZ and think its hot everywhere all year round down here.

Kelli28 Jan 26th 2005 9:00 am

Originally Posted by wombat42
Do you Pom Parents have to bribe your kids to get them to do anything.
People on this forum have said PC has gone mad in the UK. Is this part of it, where you have to treat 7 year old kids as young adults. If they refuse to go to school instead of punishing them with a smack or something you have to sit down with them and negotiate some sort of bribe or payoff. :rolleyes:

a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down

Kelli28 Jan 26th 2005 9:11 am

Originally Posted by wombat42
During winter in Many parts of Victoria, Tasmania and NSW it does snow and
there are ski fields and ski resorts in Australia. My car was covered in snow last winter at Mt Buffolo in Victoria. Some people know very little about OZ and think its hot everywhere all year round down here.

i did realise it snows in parts of aus just not where we are going wich is bris so i wasent really telling fibs