British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Bribing the kids (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bribing-kids-279901/)

desperate2go Jan 25th 2005 3:04 pm

Bribing the kids

A subject that was introduced on another thread so i thought it may be interesting to find out the various bribes that people have offered their kids as 'sweetners' to move to Australia.

I have offered my daughter a dog, someone else a swimming pool.......How far will we go to keep them happy :cool: Id be interested to see who has the most outrageous bribe!Im sure there are a few :p

binbird Jan 25th 2005 3:09 pm

Re: Bribing the kids

Originally Posted by desperate2go
A subject that was introduced on another thread so i thought it may be interesting to find out the various bribes that people have offered their kids as 'sweetners' to move to Australia.

I have offered my daughter a dog, someone else a swimming pool.......How far will we go to keep them happy :cool: Id be interested to see who has the most outrageous bribe!Im sure there are a few :p

Not outrageous but...... we too have told the kids that we will get a dog when we get to Australia. Our two dogs both died over the last 3 years, we lost one back in 2001 and the second died back in September so we decided it was better to start afresh with pets once we got there rather than go through the trauma and expense of shipping a pet. There has certainly been a gap in our lives for the last few months so it'll be nice to put that right again.

Well, that's me sorted - haven't dared to ask the girls what they want though we have dangled a carrot by saying that we'll do Disney USA style en route! :D

Binbird

toocheeky Jan 25th 2005 3:17 pm

As you know, our 'bribe' is to get my son a trampoline. :)
My daughter has already chosen what colour she wants for her bedroom, so we have 'okayed' that.

I have a feeling of 'impending doom'.... :eek: :D

Need to start another thread...
Required. One big house in Perth, must have a yellow bedroom, huge (level!) garden (and a pool would be nice. :) )

worzel Jan 25th 2005 3:19 pm

The pool was us!

blossom Jan 25th 2005 3:52 pm

I love this thread, sniggering at how we all have to BRIBE to get what we want.

I want to be near beach, husband wants land therefore need to buy a place in between. daughter needs extra large shed to set up her business, grandson needs a bit of rough land for his mini quadbike and grandaughter is taking her trampoline. They also want ponies !!!

I though I'd left the horsey life behind when we returned to UK, but it all started up again a couple of years ago, and I have to admit it was much easier and more enjoyable in Oz than UK- so no doubt ponies will be on the shopping list too!

Oh well best get searching for job prospects to cover the costs of all the bribes!

chatty34 Jan 25th 2005 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by blossom

I want to be near beach, husband wants land therefore need to buy a place in between. daughter needs extra large shed to set up her business, grandson needs a bit of rough land for his mini quadbike and grandaughter is taking her trampoline. They also want ponies !!!

I though I'd left the horsey life behind when we returned to UK, but it all started up again a couple of years ago, and I have to admit it was much easier and more enjoyable in Oz than UK- so no doubt ponies will be on the shopping list too!

Oh well best get searching for job prospects to cover the costs of all the bribes!

LOL, this thread is funny.
Seems I have been a bit silly and promised all 3 obvious things. Pool, dog and trampoline and am now caught in a family debate on big dog versus small dog and horror of horrors heard myself saying that maybe we could have a small dog AND a big dog.
Hope there are enough dogs, pools and trampolines to go round :D

desperate2go Jan 25th 2005 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by blossom

OMG- Completely forgot about the previously promised pony :eek: .......that was way way back in the beginning though, so hopefully she has forgotten too. ;)

blossom Jan 25th 2005 4:31 pm

OMG- Completely forgot about the previously promised pony :eek: .......that was way way back in the beginning though, so hopefully she has forgotten too. ;)

Unfortunately, I can guarantee that ponies won't be forgotten from our listI LOL Blossom :scared:

binbird Jan 25th 2005 4:31 pm

Not a bribe for the kids but I said to my hubby that if we were going to Australia I would want an amount of money set aside in a separate contingency fund to allow me to return to England for a visit as and when and if I wanted! Might sound selfish but basically the whole of his family is off to Aus so the decision to leave was harder for me than him.

Binbird (again!)

DIMO8 Jan 25th 2005 4:38 pm

I have promised my Mum £ 10.000 from the sale of the house ( guilt money) so she has all her flights paid for. I told my daughter that it will NEVER rains....how stupid was that :confused: and the ultamite bribe was my son who i bribed with " Mr Incredible lives in OZ " his reply....." Please Mummy when can we go pleeeeaaaase" ....wicked mother i hear you all say...know but i was put in a position. :rolleyes:

desperate2go Jan 25th 2005 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by DIMO8
I have promised my Mum £ 10.000 from the sale of the house ( guilt money) so she has all her flights paid for. :

That is one hell of a bribe girl!!

thpinkpussycat Jan 25th 2005 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by worzel
The pool was us!

And don’t forget the trampoline so she can jump from trampoline to pool! And a dog was mentioned, because she is going to miss Bailey, brothers chocolate Labrador puppy and Nero, other brothers Doberman puppy!
She has also mention a lap top with web cam for talking with her friends…the list could go on!
And Mum and Dad’s answer to these requests “We’ll see!� ;)
Got to love 'em! :D

scissors Jan 25th 2005 5:53 pm

lol,guess we re not the only one then ;) ...ok ok i have told my daughter that she can have a puppy,start surfing and horse riding...we ll definately have a pool and she wants a room of her own to use as her own sitting room come games room...if that seems like a tall order :eek: she wants to be right near the beach and go to watch plenty of bands play :scared: hope they have her sort of bands in oz...think i need a drink :beer:

tracey :D

wombat42 Jan 25th 2005 6:18 pm

Bribe them! what a load of garbage. Tell them if they are not on the plane
to OZ with you, then they will have to stay at the toughest most disciplined boarding school in the UK until they turn 18. One of those old fashioned 19th
century style boarding schools the teachers still hand out corporal punishment. :scared: :scared:

toocheeky Jan 25th 2005 6:43 pm

hmmm....yes but a trampoline def is far less expensive than boarding school. ;)

Dont forget they are kids at the end of the day and anything that can make the transition easier can only be good. :)

Do you have any kids then? ( :scared: )

Originally Posted by wombat42
Bribe them! what a load of garbage. Tell them if they are not on the plane
to OZ with you, then they will have to stay at the toughest most disciplined boarding school in the UK until they turn 18. One of those old fashioned 19th
century style boarding schools the teachers still hand out corporal punishment. :scared: :scared: