Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Breaking rental lease???

Breaking rental lease???

Old Sep 30th 2010, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of
Default Breaking rental lease???

Hi all

Just hoping some off you can offer me some advice on breaking our rental agreement. I know the deal is you have to pay your rent till they find someone to rent the property. But I have no work again and I was wondering if I contacted them with a sob story that I am out of work and have to move to Melbourne will they be compassionate and give us our bond back.

I know I wont get the answer till I contact them. But just wondering if anyone else has been in the same position and what was the outcome.

Thanks in advance.

Paddy
Old Oct 1st 2010, 1:55 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Breaking rental lease???

Hi Paddy
I work as a property manager in NSW. If one of our tenants were in your circs, I would work with them to get another tenant in asap. Given the rental market locally this would not be too difficult as long as the property has been reasonably well kept. Afraid I would not just give you your bond back without a new tenant - and I doubt you will find any agent that would.
Suggest you go to the agent with a plan of marketing the property immediately and being really flexible and helpful on viewings and having the place looking bright and shiny. Say that you know you need to keep paying the rent until they get someone, but also tell them your circs. You may be able to do a deal. The agent will be most concerned with arrears building up to more than your bond - so if you can, keep paying the rent to show willing.
Sorry to hear that you are in this position - hope it works out for you in Melbourne. You will defo need a good reference from the current agent if you need to rent in Melbourne so keep them sweet.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

You might also get get advice from the tenancy advice people on this (who you lodged your bond with) as i think in extreme hardship exceptions are made, but best thing, as has been said is to get a new tennant, ive done it twice and it worked fine Good luck!
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Thanks guys for the advice.

Things are not that bad that we cant pay the rent. Just thinking of moving and was wondering if there was a way of breaking the lease without getting stung to pay up till the end of lease. The company we are renting from have two other houses for rent beside us. So I would not be confident of them getting new people in quick.

Thanks Paddy
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scotty1
Hi Paddy
I work as a property manager in NSW. If one of our tenants were in your circs, I would work with them to get another tenant in asap. Given the rental market locally this would not be too difficult as long as the property has been reasonably well kept. Afraid I would not just give you your bond back without a new tenant - and I doubt you will find any agent that would.
Suggest you go to the agent with a plan of marketing the property immediately and being really flexible and helpful on viewings and having the place looking bright and shiny. Say that you know you need to keep paying the rent until they get someone, but also tell them your circs. You may be able to do a deal. The agent will be most concerned with arrears building up to more than your bond - so if you can, keep paying the rent to show willing.
Sorry to hear that you are in this position - hope it works out for you in Melbourne. You will defo need a good reference from the current agent if you need to rent in Melbourne so keep them sweet.
Why does he need a reference form this landlord? He can tell his next landlord that he has been living with friends for the duration and give the reference for the previous landlord before this one to them.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Why does he need a reference form this landlord? He can tell his next landlord that he has been living with friends for the duration and give the reference for the previous landlord before this one to them.
That sounds like a plan