Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A PLace in the Sun - Whats the point?

A PLace in the Sun - Whats the point?

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all
Default A PLace in the Sun - Whats the point?

I've recorded the series using sky plus and watched most of them .
Having lived the dream we are interested to watch them but are often left wondering how many of the families would actually get visas .

Some are looking for sponshership admittedly , but soem of them haven't even started the visa process if they were'nt to be offered sponsorship .In which case the houses they look at are pretty hyperthetical taking into the time it takes to get visas and the fluctuating house prices / exchange rate.
We watched an episode last night where both were peri music teachers - I don't remember seeing that on the skills shortage list ! In fact having worked as one in Aus , it's only the private schools you can work out anyway without being registered with Wacot, and you need to be qualified for that . Perhaps it's different in otehr states.

I enjoy the programme but can't help thinking it's more entertainment than reality - and that potential expats would get more helpful information looking at pretty pictures on google images .
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:41 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: A PLace in the Sun - Whats the point?

Originally Posted by Davesax View Post
I enjoy the programme but can't help thinking it's more entertainment than reality -
You are right in your thinking

The similar program "Relocation - Phil Down under" requires their participants to adhere to this condition:
They must have secured approval from the FIRB (Foreign Investment Review Board) without which they can’t buy property in Australia.
Presumably, this would be waived if they already had a visa.

Old Sep 23rd 2010, 12:44 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

They're all a crock of shit - utterly futile TV shows that serve no purpose at all. If they genuinely wanted to help potential emigres then they'd do proper guides to the states, cities and areas and deal with cold hard facts.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 3:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a reality tv show with sunshine. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think British who are actually planning on moving to Australia are their target audience
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 11:53 am
Well Endowed Member

The Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really niceThe Squire of Onchan is just really nice

Yeah but Melissa Porter is definately worth a box of Kleenex ...
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fish.01 View Post
I don't think British who are actually planning on moving to Australia are their target audience
Who are then?

I actually was refering to ' Wanted Down Under ' in my post not place in the sun. Muchthe same though.
We were on There's no Place Like Home , this was much the same too but at least we were in a real situation.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davesax View Post
Who are then?

I actually was refering to ' Wanted Down Under ' in my post not place in the sun. Muchthe same though.
We were on There's no Place Like Home , this was much the same too but at least we were in a real situation.
Just infotainment - so general audience sitting at home travelling no further than the fridge - doesn't matter if the facts are a bit dodgy to them
Old Sep 24th 2010, 1:32 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Much like the cookery programmes where the people that watch them are actually less likely to cook.

It's all aspirational entertainment innit? Or hoping people fall on their face so we can laugh.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

saintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nice

I've actually been watching Wanted Down Under, Phil Down Under and A Place in the Sun to try and find out as much as possible about Perth before I move there.

I have to agree that the WDU format is absolutely crap, but it has at least shown me some snippets of my future home town.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:51 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond View Post
Presumably, this would be waived if they already had a visa.
People on 457's need FIRB approval before they can buy.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 12:59 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Squire of Onchan View Post
Yeah but Melissa Porter is definately worth a box of Kleenex ...
Doesn't stir my loins but I bet she makes a cracking lasagne ...
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
They're all a crock of shit - utterly futile TV shows that serve no purpose at all. If they genuinely wanted to help potential emigres then they'd do proper guides to the states, cities and areas and deal with cold hard facts.
The worst thing about these programs are the way the production team take advantage of families and make them look even more than a bunch of losers than they already are. The most vulnerable are taken advantage of.

It's a standard recipe. Can you imagine the awkwardness if a family actually were reasonably intelligent, incisive, informed and presented better than the presenter - they would not have a programme.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 2:19 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack View Post
The worst thing about these programs are the way the production team take advantage of families and make them look even more than a bunch of losers than they already are. The most vulnerable are taken advantage of.

It's a standard recipe. Can you imagine the awkwardness if a family actually were reasonably intelligent, incisive, informed and presented better than the presenter - they would not have a programme.
To make up for this what do the families get paid, anybody know? Lamingtons & VB?
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 4:16 am
61 days

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saintstu View Post
I've actually been watching Wanted Down Under, Phil Down Under and A Place in the Sun to try and find out as much as possible about Perth before I move there.

I have to agree that the WDU format is absolutely crap, but it has at least shown me some snippets of my future home town.
I wouldn't use shows such as this for information about Perth. They're only likely to show you the pretty tourist places and completely skip the reality of day to day life here in the city. I've never seen these programmes, so can't be 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain they don't show the less attractive side of Perth.

Use it for what it's meant for. Entertainment value only.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.