Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Breaking lease need some advice

Breaking lease need some advice

Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:29 am

Bello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond repute
Default Breaking lease need some advice

I was hoping someone might beable to help with some advice?

I've been in my current rental for about 3 months with another 3 left to run on the lease, today my boss offered me a lovely big 3 bedroom house on one of his farms at a bargain price but i need to let him know in the next 7 days.
I can't afford to do the right thing and pay two lots of rent till my old rental is released so the question is.....

..... If i abandon the rental, abandon the bond and hand the keys back will they beable to trace me or do anything to make me pay rent whilst the property is relet? i wouldn't be providing a forwarding address.

Cheers for any advice.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Breaking lease need some advice

Originally Posted by Bello

I've been in my current rental for about 3 months with another 3 left to run on the lease, today my boss offered me a lovely big 3 bedroom house on one of his farms at a bargain price but i need to let him know in the next 7 days.
I can't afford to do the right thing and pay two lots of rent till my old rental is released so the question is.....

..... If i abandon the rental, abandon the bond and hand the keys back will they beable to trace me or do anything to make me pay rent whilst the property is relet? i wouldn't be providing a forwarding address.

Cheers for any advice.
A friend of mine - advertised and got someone to take over her lease then they both went to the agent's to sort paperwork - only cost her the advert and time to show people over. I don't know if she agreed this with the agent first or told them afterwards but ---.

That was in Brisbane - about 2 years ago. Ask around and see what other people have done.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:41 am

Bello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond reputeBello has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suebrennan
A friend of mine - advertised and got someone to take over her lease then they both went to the agent's to sort paperwork - only cost her the advert and time to show people over. I don't know if she agreed this with the agent first or told them afterwards but ---.

That was in Brisbane - about 2 years ago. Ask around and see what other people have done.
Thanks! I don't think that would be an option though as the owner is pretty fussy about who can live in her properties, she likes to vet people when they view her properties and give the agent the ok.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Robbie_Paula is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! I don't think that would be an option though as the owner is pretty fussy about who can live in her properties, she likes to vet people when they view her properties and give the agent the ok.
Hi Bello

I'd recommend having a chat with the owner first because you may be pleasantly surprised and find that it suits them too! We're in a similar situation except we're buying a house & still have 3 months left on the lease. We were dreading the reaction of the owner and thought we'd be stuffed for the next 3 months rent however it turns out she'd prefer us out of the house because she's selling and vacant possession is preferable to tenants.

It may not be win-win all the way but you'll never know if you never ask..

Good luck

Paula
Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:36 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

We looked at breaking the lease here, they said we needed to pay up to when the new tenant was found, plus another week to cover their adverts and showing people around. We also had to make the place available for viewers obviously.

If you tell your boss yes and move out, they will find a new tenant easier (available straight away)
Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

Cheers for any advice.

Hi

we are moving into a lease break next week.

As long as you and the realtor find a new tenant, you pay the rent until they move in, you move out get the bond etc.

Regards

Sean