Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Breaking a lease,how much did it cost you?

Breaking a lease,how much did it cost you?

Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:45 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Question Breaking a lease,how much did it cost you?

Hi Folks,

For anyone who's ever broken a lease on a rental in Oz,can i ask how much did it cost you all in & your experience of doing so, horror stories & all please?
We have a lot to be thankful of selling our wee house back in the UK,cause its those savings that are keeping our heads floating above at the moment!

I have a list in front of me of the cleaning that has to be done & to be honest,I'm not afraid of hard work but this is bloody ridiculous I grudge paying for carpets to be cleaned when there only just over 6months old,hardly a mark on them,i have big rugs down in every room to avoid marks,stains etc.. why did i bother going to the expense of buying rugs (receipts have to be handed in)I will take on the cleaning of the house myself & god help anyone who criticises my cleanliness :scared: I'm bad enough at the best of times trying to keep a clean house with 3 kids about,i think this will tip hubby over the edge

One things for sure,we don't do things by halves

Donna.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:50 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Breaking a lease,how much did it cost you?

hey madsad - they will never ever ever accept your cleaning as clean. They always want someone else to have done it - so save the effort, ask them to recommend the people they use and agree up front that if you get them in then it'll pass the inspection.... otherwise its wasted effort & money and you wont get all your bond back.

Ive rented a place that had food in the fridge ! and when we left it was spotless but we still lost deposit , huge row ensued etc.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:54 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Cost us about $1400 - we just told them we were out before the agreement end. Even the estate agents we embarrassed by the problems we'd had (if "estate agents" and "embarrassed" in the same breath isn't oxymoronic). We had the bond money back in our bank by 3.00pm the day we moved out.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 10:59 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
hey madsad - they will never ever ever accept your cleaning as clean. They always want someone else to have done it - so save the effort, ask them to recommend the people they use and agree up front that if you get them in then it'll pass the inspection.... otherwise its wasted effort & money and you wont get all your bond back.

Ive rented a place that had food in the fridge ! and when we left it was spotless but we still lost deposit , huge row ensued etc.

I'm using their guys for the carpet cleaning but thats it,i phoned round for quotes on their house cleaning guys ***** sake' :scared: cost was scary!! We get on quite well with our agent so hoping she'll be lenient? & our last inspection,the inspector said we were 'model tenant's rent paid on time,house spotless etc...so heres hoping

Donna.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We broke our lease but fortunately it was relet straight away. We just ended up paying a weeks rent plus GST for administration. We cleaned the house ourselves but we had only been there 10 weeks, and it wasn't as clean as when we moved in but we still got the bond back.
Hope you find new tenants, otherwise I think you still have the rent to pay even though you are not living there.
Amanda