bread figures

Old Jul 17th 2003, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

wolfens_wife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default bread figures

Im gutted..... not able to take my decorated bread figures or a bamboo and straw hanging mobile. Would you chance sticking them in your hand luggage or is it too risky????

mich
Old Jul 17th 2003, 12:55 pm
The Tooth Fairy

What can't I take into Australia?

ANIMAL PRODUCTS - (Why are people allowed?)

Feathers, bones, horns and tusks (must be clean and free of any tissue)
Skins, hides, and furs (rawhide including drums, shields and dog chews are prohibited)
Wool and animal hair (includes fleece, yarn, and craft items)
Stuffed animals and birds (taxidermy certificate required. Some may be prohibited under endangered species laws)
Shells and coral (including jewellery, curios and souvenirs)
Bee products including pollen, beeswax and honeycomb
Used animal equipment including veterinary equipment and medicines, shearing or meat trade tools, saddlery and tack and animal or bird cages
Used animal equipment including veterinary equipment and medicines, shearing or meat trade tools, saddlery and tack and animal or bird cages
Pet food is prohibited

Last edited by The Tooth Fairy; Jul 17th 2003 at 12:57 pm.

Old Jul 17th 2003, 1:01 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by The Tooth Fairy
What can't I take into Australia?

ANIMAL PRODUCTS - (Why are people allowed?)

Feathers, bones, horns and tusks (must be clean and free of any tissue)
Skins, hides, and furs (rawhide including drums, shields and dog chews are prohibited)
Wool and animal hair (includes fleece, yarn, and craft items)
Stuffed animals and birds (taxidermy certificate required. Some may be prohibited under endangered species laws)
Shells and coral (including jewellery, curios and souvenirs)
Bee products including pollen, beeswax and honeycomb
Pet food is prohibited
Can I take my dog's food bowls?
Old Jul 17th 2003, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

My Dining chairs are bamboo and wicker, i had anglo pacific movers round this week to quote and they said they would be fine as they are coated with something, probably food the kids have spilt. anyway the guy said that anything that they class as dodgy has to be fumigated on arrival and possibly quarantined but would not necessarily be disposed of. i'm also guessing that the dogs bowls will be ok, i was going to put them with the dog so they will be quarantined with him, now i'm wondering if they too like so many other things will have to be chucked.

lynn
Old Jul 17th 2003, 1:24 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by lynnj
My Dining chairs are bamboo and wicker, i had anglo pacific movers round this week to quote and they said they would be fine as they are coated with something, probably food the kids have spilt. anyway the guy said that anything that they class as dodgy has to be fumigated on arrival and possibly quarantined but would not necessarily be disposed of. i'm also guessing that the dogs bowls will be ok, i was going to put them with the dog so they will be quarantined with him, now i'm wondering if they too like so many other things will have to be chucked.

lynn
I never thought about sending the dog bowls with the dog, what a good idea! I was going to take them on the plane. There's no point shipping them becuase we would then have the dog before the bowls, and would have to buy new ones.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

kaleb777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mika24me
Can I take my dog's food bowls?
Why? What are they, gold plated? We have dog bowls in Australia.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

my dog has to be put in a box, then into the hold of an aurcraft for a day, then taken to kennells with out any people he knows and stay there in that strange environment, alone, for 30 days. dont you think he'd at least like to eat his food out of something familier. we have been advised by professional animal shippers that he should have as many familier things around him as poss. i'm no "dogs are better than humans" person but this is scary enough for us and we know whats happening, how scary will it be for him. BUT should we not be allowed to take his bowl with us then i know that i will be able to purchase a perfectly good replacement when we get to australia.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

wolfens_wife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: bread figures

Ok guys...what ya reckon....
Wrap up my bread figures with xmas paper, but in a box smelling of perfume in December. quote ceramic ornaments on the front of the box. Get my sister to send it from the UK with her Ex boy friends address on and see if they get through!!! cant think of what else to do. Havent got a dog so not taking a dog bowl.

Any comments??
mich
Old Jul 17th 2003, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand that the most common things that people get fumigated for are to do with items that have been in contact with the ground e.g. gardening equipment, wellington boots, bicycles etc.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

darkstone1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

if they are not that big and you want them why not just send them in the post on their own. then if they get pulled by customs then what the hell nothing lost.
Then at least it doesn't affect your major shipment for having something suspect in it and having it ripped apart by them..
Old Jul 18th 2003, 12:20 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: bread figures

Originally posted by wolfens_wife
Im gutted..... not able to take my decorated bread figures or a bamboo and straw hanging mobile. Would you chance sticking them in your hand luggage or is it too risky????

mich
Posting them may be the best idea - but be prepared to lose them. Since last Christmas all the parcels that I have received from the UK have been opened by customs here - they seem to have stepped up their checks since the outbreak of foot and mouth etc in Britain and since the terrorist attacks. So be warned that they seem to be opening more parcels from the UK than they used to do.

When I first moved here - I had shells on a raffia hanging (from the Philippines) and a few taxidermy fish, I put them into the container - they got through... But I don't know if the laws then allowed me to bring them through then (it was around 6 years ago). I also had a piece of coral (which I know was not allowed in to Aus) - I gave that away, didn't bring it here - the other thing which I brought was all my booze, I have a large collection of different drinks from around the world. I didn't want to dump them, so I also put them in my container - they too got in. I don't think my container was checked at all.

But I think they have gone pretty strict within the last couple of years especially parcels/containers from the UK. Like I said since Xmas every parcel I have received from the UK has been opened/checked by the customs here - so be prepared to lose your items.

cheers

PS if it were me - I'd stick them in the hand luggage, if caught plead ignorance, just say you did not know you were not allowed to bring them to Aus. It's up to you.. but I can't see why you really want to bring them with you anyway, unless they have some strong sentimental value to you

Last edited by Ceri; Jul 18th 2003 at 12:23 am.
Old Jul 18th 2003, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

I've heard of people being fined for having banned foodstuffs etc in hand luggage, but if you just put them in your container they may get through unchecked, just get the guys to write ornaments on the box. If for some reason they are checked you get the choice of them being treated or destroyed. Or try posting them, I'd risk the container though. We had a couple of bottles of alcohol which slipped in unintentionally (honest guv) and an old bamboo fishing rod which made it through customs, only thing confiscated was the Christmas tree which supposedly had soil on the pole, having never been outside I find this hard to believe though.

Ask Abegas about the dog bowls, their stainless steel ones were confiscated.

Loopy
Old Jul 21st 2003, 7:45 am
Hussy

Originally posted by kaleb777
Why? What are they, gold plated? We have dog bowls in Australia.
Hi

I know you have dog bowls in Australia, but ours are in perfectly good condition and moving to the other side of the world is expensive enough without having to replace all our little things like these. So things like these are coming with us.

Mel
Old Jul 21st 2003, 7:39 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Loopy
I've heard of people being fined for having banned foodstuffs etc in hand luggage, but if you just put them in your container they may get through unchecked, just get the guys to write ornaments on the box. If for some reason they are checked you get the choice of them being treated or destroyed. Or try posting them, I'd risk the container though. We had a couple of bottles of alcohol which slipped in unintentionally (honest guv) and an old bamboo fishing rod which made it through customs, only thing confiscated was the Christmas tree which supposedly had soil on the pole, having never been outside I find this hard to believe though.

Ask Abegas about the dog bowls, their stainless steel ones were confiscated.

Loopy
the x mas tree pole would of had bark traces ,on it we get them all the time, ............... MM
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 7:37 pm
Wet nose wheatie

wendy collins is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not just get rid of them - not worth stressing about.