Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Box Jelly fish.........

Box Jelly fish.........

Old Sep 16th 2003, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

april is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Box Jelly fish.........

Just watching tv about the box jelly fish..... very deadly fish.
It said if you go in the water in Oz.....wear panty hose!!!!!!!
The box jelly fish can not sting you as the fish slides over the panty hose, Another nasty bit is the....... Cone Shell it is deadly but looks like a very pretty shell...... so dont go shell picking on the beach .......
Old Sep 16th 2003, 3:26 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Box Jelly fish.........

Originally posted by april
The box jelly fish can not sting you as the fish slides over the panty hose, Another nasty bit is the....... Cone Shell it is deadly but looks like a very pretty shell...... so dont go shell picking on the beach .......
Don't think panty hose really suits me!
Old Sep 16th 2003, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

isnt the panty hose thing more up north. We only get the normal blue stringy jelly fish here, bit of vinegar and right you are. Plus you can usually see if they are around they wash up on the beach.
Old Sep 16th 2003, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

april is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
isnt the panty hose thing more up north. We only get the normal blue stringy jelly fish here, bit of vinegar and right you are. Plus you can usually see if they are around they wash up on the beach.
Not sure were it's filmed i'ts an Australian show called "KILLER INSTINCT"...... all about the deadliest fish in Australia.......
:scared:
Old Sep 16th 2003, 3:51 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Box Jelly fish live up far north QLD and during the wet season.

Blue bottles can be the nightmare around sydney when the water and wind are at a certain state.

The blue bottles hurt badly but vinegar can be used to take the fire out of the stingers. Not something I want to encounter.
Old Sep 16th 2003, 4:27 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by april
If you're into water sports, diving etc..it may be a good idea to buy a book on the subject. I have an excellent book back home which I bought years ago (not sure if it's still in print) "Dangerous Marine creatures" written by Dr C. Edmonds. It also gives you in-depth medical advice. The cone shells are the nasty ones.. because of shell collectors and kids picking them up without realising. There are hundreds of species of cone shells, all are not deadly... but a few of them are . If you do get punctured by one.. apply a pressure bandage ( same method as for a snake bite) and immobilise the limb.

Best really not to touch anything you are not sure about.. and also drum that into your kids as well. They are more likely to pick "pretty" things up before an adult will

cheers

P.S it sounds worse than it is.. I've never personally known anyone who has been punctured by cone shells, stung to death by a box jellyfish or eaten alive by a shark. I know people do get this... but you're more likely to be in a car crash... have you seen the way drive here

coke works as well too for Jellyfish.. if you have no vinegar on you.. try some coke.

And a tip for you fisher folk... if you do happen to get stung by a happy moment (nothing happy about them I can say!) put your hand in the hottest water you can find... it breaks down the poison... same goes for flathead too, and no rubbing the flathead on the belly (on it's mucus) does not work... I've tried it... hot water is the best
Old Sep 16th 2003, 7:44 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Ceri
same goes for flathead too, and no rubbing the flathead on the belly (on it's mucus) does not work... I've tried it... hot water is the best
I got cut by a flat head on the back of my hand, by that spike they've got on the gills.

Hurt like bileo (as the wife would say).
Old Sep 16th 2003, 8:11 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

[/QUOTE]
coke works as well too for Jellyfish.. if you have no vinegar on you.. try some coke. [/QUOTE]

i read somewhere that if you wee on the sting that works too (maybe that was a different type of book or something )
Old Sep 16th 2003, 8:24 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by h garrett
i read somewhere that if you wee on the sting that works too (maybe that was a different type of book or something )

No Hev that was a different type of watersport

Old Sep 16th 2003, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

coke works as well too for Jellyfish.. if you have no vinegar on you.. try some coke. [/QUOTE]

i read somewhere that if you wee on the sting that works too (maybe that was a different type of book or something ) [/QUOTE]

I heard that also.

Not sure I could pee on demand though!
Old Sep 16th 2003, 10:26 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

[/QUOTE]
I heard that also.

Not sure I could pee on demand though! [/QUOTE]

Bet you already would be being with someone in that much agony and not knowing what the ***k to do! be a shame to waste it!
(sorry, gross i know!)
Old Sep 16th 2003, 11:57 am
Badge

so presumably garrat and hup met on www.watersportsfans.co.uk then...

Old Sep 16th 2003, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

I heard that also.

Not sure I could pee on demand though! [/QUOTE]

Bet you already would be being with someone in that much agony and not knowing what the ***k to do! be a shame to waste it!
(sorry, gross i know!) [/QUOTE]

Esp. if it was a tasty sheila you'd just met that day down at the beach !
Old Sep 16th 2003, 12:00 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Originally posted by badgersmount
so presumably garrat and hup met on www.watersportsfans.co.uk then...
Link not working, but i should imagine its totally nasty:scared:
Old Sep 16th 2003, 12:01 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Originally posted by cadman
I heard that also.

Not sure I could pee on demand though!

(sorry, gross i know!) [/QUOTE]

Esp. if it was a tasty sheila you'd just met that day down at the beach ! [/QUOTE]
eeeerrrrrrrr, nasty!!!