Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping questions

Shipping questions

Old Sep 10th 2003, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping questions

We are trying to work out what to ship to Australia and need a bit of help. We've been quoted

Sole use 20ft container (packed/unpacked Ipswich to Melbourne) 620 cu ft = £3,430

Shared 20ft container (packed/unpacked Ipswich to Melbourne) 540 cu ft = £2,976

These seem a bit high - are they ?

If we really cut back on what we were taking to say 100 cu ft what should the cost of a shared 20ft container be (roughly) ? Is there a cheaper way than sharing a 20ft container ?

We might decide to take only about 10 tea chests of small stuff and leave all furniture. What would be the cheapest way to ship this ?

Anybody got any words of wisdom to help us make the right
decision ?

Old Sep 10th 2003, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Shipping questions

Originally posted by suffolkdiva
We are trying to work out what to ship to Australia and need a bit of help. We've been quoted

Sole use 20ft container (packed/unpacked Ipswich to Melbourne) 620 cu ft = £3,430

If we really cut back on what we were taking to say 100 cu ft what should the cost of a shared 20ft container be (roughly) ? Is there a cheaper way than sharing a 20ft container ?

We might decide to take only about 10 tea chests of small stuff and leave all furniture. What would be the cheapest way to ship this ?

decision ?

a friend of mine is using White & Co. they are only charging her for what they are taking not the cubic feet that they may not use, the quote also includes 2 week storage in Brisbane all for £1900
i don't know if there is a White & co, near you though!
best of luck
rach
Old Sep 10th 2003, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Have you tried PSS? They were the cheapest for me. £3042 for sole use to Brisbane (1000cft).
Old Sep 11th 2003, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

ayanem is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a bit high. We were quoted £3200 to £3800 for 1000ft in a 20ft container. And we're just up the road from you.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 6:56 am
owieb

We've paid £2,500 sole 20ft container to Perth, insurance on top of this was another £900 about £60K worth of stuff.

Went through www.abels.co.uk

Old Sep 11th 2003, 7:38 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

decision ?

Don't forget, a shared container can take ages to come out, just like ours. They need to find another person with which to share the container.

Ours took 3 months to get here.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Dee_e56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default web site address

Can anyone tell me if any of these companies have web sites, and if yes, can people please list some.

Thanks
Dee
Old Sep 11th 2003, 9:25 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

How is Ipswich these days? Don't blame you for wanting to leave. I spent 9 years there.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 9:43 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

decision ?

On Oz terms ,the average 20ft full service ,{door to door full pack]from Australia capital city to central UK is about $8000 [ you work that out in pounds ] i suspect the Uk ,is coming off its busy period , were as we are entering ours so our rates will increase were as UK rates will decrease??....... MM
Old Sep 11th 2003, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Ayanem,

So who are you going with?

I have tried a few local firms from Woodbridge, Ipswich and Stowmarket as well as the national ones ie Bishops Move, Pickfords etc.

When you look at it we are really not taking that much. No beds, 1 sofa and the rest is quite little.

All this is really stressing me out!!!!!
Old Sep 11th 2003, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

menna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nosuchluck
a friend of mine is using White & Co. they are only charging her for what they are taking not the cubic feet that they may not use, the quote also includes 2 week storage in Brisbane all for £1900
i don't know if there is a White & co, near you though!
best of luck
rach
This does seem expensive have seen Quotes for 20 ft container for £2,300
Old Sep 11th 2003, 11:39 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

we are using inter pack, excellent quote and good advice etc, good luck with it H and see you there soon!
Old Sep 11th 2003, 11:52 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Having now had a total of 12 quotes we are definitely going with PSS

Their quote for a 20 ft container 1050 cu ft. capacity sole use with 2 weeks FREE storage (OF THE CONTAINER LOAD WITHIN ITS CONTAINER SEALED) in UK from sunny Epsom to 80 k SSW of Sydney is £3050 and with the £50 voucher from the Migration fare this is a good price.

The next best of my list (most of the Big companies) was only £85 cheaper and I was not so keen on the service.

The Australian end of the journey is done with Kents Removals who have also contacted me and in a very business like manner - quite impressive.

Taking 2 days to pack and load.

Their insurance cover also was the best at one of the cheaper percentage prices so all in all they are the one for me.

:lecture: :lecture:
Roll on having a date t give them
Old Sep 11th 2003, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your help guys!

Have had a few results today, sitting on the phone, playing one company off against the other.
The long and short of it is that I can get a sole use container for approx £2700 and a shared one for approx £2200.

Excess Intn, PSS and John Masons were by far the most competetive and helpful.

After a very stressful week, in which we thought our buyers were pulling out, we all had a meeting this am and our estate agent ( who has definately earned his comission on this one! ) shot their surveyors report to pieces - it was a load of c**p anyway - and they went away having asked to buy some pieces of furniture at a really good price and want to exchange next week.

Fingers crossed everyone that this will go through and perhaps at last we will make our mid October target!!

Helen
Old Sep 12th 2003, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Elsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by owieb
We've paid £2,500 sole 20ft container to Perth, insurance on top of this was another £900 about £60K worth of stuff.

Went through www.abels.co.uk

Hi,

when was it that you paid £2500 for your container?

We've just been quoted £3750 for a sole 20ft container from London to Melbourne..... seems like a big jump from your price?

Cheers....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.