Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Box Hill, Melbourne

Box Hill, Melbourne

Old May 1st 2006, 7:38 am
Just Joined

s2uallas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Box Hill, Melbourne

My wife and I are arriving in Melbourne on 21st May and have just been offered a job in Box Hill. Don't know anything about this area. Can anyone out there give some comments on this area (what it is like etc) and how easy it is to get to/from the centre e.g. Albert Park or similar.

Any help is appreciated.
Old May 1st 2006, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Box Hill, Melbourne

Box Hill is meant to be an up and coming area. I think it is a bit 1960's concrete style shopping centre ...but there is money being spend there and house prices are on the increase.

A new tram link was completed about 2 years ago, which goes directly into the city (not sure how long it would take) and the train station is premium, so it has a lot of express trains with limited stops, but they all stop at Box Hill. Nice areas abound just around Box Hill- Blackburn, Mont Albert, and away from the train station to the north are lots of nice housing areas.

Good luck
Old May 1st 2006, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by s2uallas
My wife and I are arriving in Melbourne on 21st May and have just been offered a job in Box Hill. Don't know anything about this area. Can anyone out there give some comments on this area (what it is like etc) and how easy it is to get to/from the centre e.g. Albert Park or similar.

Any help is appreciated.
20mins(?) down the Highway in the OPPOSITE direction to main traffic flow.

It is typical of a kind of affluent, but otherwise, ordinary inner-outer suburb.

ie. It is not cheap by the standards of the new areas further out. It is not hideously expensive like the inner city, or established suburbs further in. Exactly middle of the road.
Old May 1st 2006, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Box Hill looks okay, but nothing special. It has a very large Chinese/Vietnamese community, and so one finds branches of Chinese stores there and a fantastic array of eateries and Chinese bakeries etc.. I really like going there.

Neil
Old May 1st 2006, 11:16 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Any help is appreciated.
Will go for drive to let you know travel time - where in Box hill? Albert Park?

We arrived last week (Friday) and are staying in South Yarra. We are due to pop over to Boxhill with my wifes godfather for Yum Cha. Will try and take digital camera.
You have a Melways?
Kiwi
Old May 1st 2006, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Its a bit seedy round the station/shopping precinct but my wife who went to Boxhill Tech tells me it always been like that. There was a random murder on the station platform a few months ago by some nutter (from Kilsyth).

It always was lower to middle class area - south yarra is a lot nicer (& pricier)
Old May 1st 2006, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

Lived there many years ago. Quite a lot of Chinese so some interesting restaurants around. Good train link to the city. Nice big public pool complex. Fair few cement blocks. Shopping complex, French creperie, outdoor market on Sundays.

At that time, Boxhill was a designated dry-zone due to some 100 year old Anglican ruling, so no pubs, no alcohol in any restaurant and no bottleshops either. Maybe you could check up on that if you like a bevy.

On the whole, I would rank it a notch or two above inoffensive.

Just remembered the best part of Boxhill - huge furniture auction house with bargains galor.
Old May 1st 2006, 1:15 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Any help is appreciated.
I think Box Hill is ok but a bit of a way out. It's probably 45 minutes from the centre by car, and I know it takes about 45 minutes to drive there from Elsternwick where I live (near St Kilda). If you want to live nearer the centre but within striking distance of work, there's loads of good areas, though it depends on your price range. Ivanhoe is ok with good access to the Eastern Freeway and further south Camberwell is great but can be a bit pricy. Mount Waverley is also a really nice suburb, and the schools in Mount Waverley are among the best in the state, if you have kids to consider.

Box Hill itself is typically leafy off the main roads (Maroondah Highway which takes you straight out to the Yarra Valley and all the good wine estates ) but a bit tacky in the centre. There's a large ethnic Chinese population and growing Vietnamese and Sri Lankan populations.

Good luck
Old May 1st 2006, 1:16 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Wierd this thread appeared today, i was looking for gymnastic clubs for my teen and Boxhill is the only one who has replied
Old May 1st 2006, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

s2uallas is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone who replied. Sounds like it will be OK for work/visit but not really where we want to be living. We will have to look into this a bit more when we arrive.

Hopefully we can find somewhere nearer to the city with train links to Box Hill.
Old May 7th 2006, 12:05 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Any help is appreciated.

Two things come to mind for me:

1 - It has an excellent burger/kebab/fish&chip shop which stays open very late

and

2 - I had to go to the hospital to get stiches due to a sport injury and had to wait 7 hours to be treated.
Old May 8th 2006, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

aaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant future

We live in Box Hill, it is okay but not somewhere we would live permanently (needed somewhere desperately when we arrived) I would recommend areas such as Surrey Hills, Mont Albert, Balwyn, Kew, Canterbury, Camberwell - these are the more affluent areas but still commutable to Box Hill. If these prove to be a bit expensive then you can try areas such as Laburnum, Blackburn, Doncaster which are a bit more reasonably priced and still good areas.

Hope this helps
Old May 8th 2006, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Wierd this thread appeared today, i was looking for gymnastic clubs for my teen and Boxhill is the only one who has replied
My son goes to McLeod YMCA gym and he is really enjoying it.

HTH
Old May 9th 2006, 2:55 am
Staying in BoxHill

chessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to all

Any help is appreciated.
On4e other thing to note and that it is a dry council. I only found that one out after signing up for a 1 year lease. It is a reasonable area and as somebody said earlier it has an awful lot of good places to eat.