Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what will work in oz?

what will work in oz?

Old May 7th 2006, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

hindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nice
Question what will work in oz?

can anyone tell me for my husbands sake if he can take his collection of power tools when we emigrate?
will they work over there?
i on the other hand worry about whether my children can take there sony ps2, dvd player, nintendo, electric guitar and keyboard.
can anyone that has done the move help us all?
Old May 7th 2006, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what will work in oz?

Originally Posted by hindon
can anyone tell me for my husbands sake if he can take his collection of power tools when we emigrate?
i on the other hand worry about whether my children can take there sony ps2, dvd player, nintendo, electric guitar and keyboard.
I,m sure all the power tools and music stuff will be fine after the plugs have been changed to Aus. ones ( of course using a qualified electrician )The DVD/ps2 ect. may be region2, it will still play all your UK stuff but you might have problems with new stuff you but in Aus. I have heard there are 'hack' sites which may offer codes to unlock DVD players and maybe even people who 'chip' ps2 ect...allegedly
If I were you I'd take the lot
Old May 7th 2006, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

hindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nicehindon is just really nice

Originally Posted by john_w
I,m sure all the power tools and music stuff will be fine after the plugs have been changed to Aus. ones ( of course using a qualified electrician )The DVD/ps2 ect. may be region2, it will still play all your UK stuff but you might have problems with new stuff you but in Aus. I have heard there are 'hack' sites which may offer codes to unlock DVD players and maybe even people who 'chip' ps2 ect...allegedly
If I were you I'd take the lot
can you not change the plugs yourself like inthe uk?
Old May 7th 2006, 8:39 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

We shipped over my daughters PS2 and a multi region dvd player and have had no problems playing dvds or games on them bought from Oz.
Old May 7th 2006, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We haven't got round to changing plugs yet on anything, we are still using the adaptors that we brought with us to put us on and everything works fine.
We have not had a problem with dvds or ps2 games either and in fact my daughter has bought a nintendo ds here and games bought from other countries work on it so just bring it all
Old May 8th 2006, 1:49 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Hi

When John W mentioned the bit about being a "qualified electrician" I just knew you would ask that next question

There was a very long recent thread on this same subject which makes interesting, and amusing, reading. Please put up a search unless someone can come up with the link.

........... now......... where did I put that light bulb?

Jim
Old May 8th 2006, 1:52 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

I changed all the plugs myself, but I have heard on here that you are supposed to get an electrician to do it just to cover yaself in case anything happens. hey, it ain't rocket science....
Old May 8th 2006, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

jdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud of

Power Tools: Fine, my dad has had no problems with his

PS2: Fine, just get a new cable, thats what I did

DVD Player: Should be fine

Nintendo (Gamecube?): Replacement cables cannot be bought for this, and if you rewire it and it short circuits you have lost a games console. Maybe try selling it in the UK, and rebuying out here? Or, try to find a replacement (must be nintendo made) cable, but there aren't many around, I have already looked all over...

Electric Guitar: Unsure

Keyboard: Unsure

There are certain electrical goods that you can and cannot rewire, or put new Australian plugs on. Generally the bigger goods (PCs, TVs etc) shouldn't be replugged. I'm sure there is probably a website somewhere that tells you what you can and can't rewire...
Old May 8th 2006, 2:20 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Hi

When John W mentioned the bit about being a "qualified electrician" I just knew you would ask that next question

There was a very long recent thread on this same subject which makes interesting, and amusing, reading. Please put up a search unless someone can come up with the link.

........... now......... where did I put that light bulb?

Jim
It's live Jim but not as we know it.
Old May 8th 2006, 2:28 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gedge

OP............ there you go !

Thanks Gedge.

Jim
Old May 8th 2006, 2:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Get one of these (the GBP6.99 one) before you leave & your DECT cordless or fixed landline phones will work over here too:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/searchtempla...0ADAPTOR%20CAP

I'm using one & it works.
Old May 8th 2006, 4:40 am

OP............ there you go !

Thanks Gedge.

Jim
I couldn't resist once I'd thought of a witty line.
Well it made me laugh anyway.
Old May 8th 2006, 10:34 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Originally Posted by gedge
I couldn't resist once I'd thought of a witty line.
Well it made me laugh anyway.

Bus***d
Old May 8th 2006, 10:38 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Bus***d

........ and must log off now....... its Desperate H's time ....... and that Eva whatever-her-name is skinny but FIT !!

Jim
Old May 8th 2006, 10:40 pm

........ and must log off now....... its Desperate H's time ....... and that Eva whatever-her-name is skinny but FIT !!

Jim
Sorry mate, she don't do it for me.
When they had her advertising the Melb Cup I thought she was one of the runners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.