Boring Canberra

Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Claire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really nice
Default Re: Boring Canberra

Well........I have some progress on the meds front.....it is not straight forward yet though !!
Things have come back o.k but they want a bond putting up for Caleb to cover for any possible meds that may come up. It is a large amount and our agent is approaching my sponsor I think this weekend to see how they feel about it...... I have a horrible feeling it will be too much but will have to wait and see. The thing is Caleb has not had any operations or any medication and as I have said before has 1 check up a year.....so the money should be safe and you do get it back at the end of the term requested.
Anyway needless to say I didn't sleep much last night and prob. wont until we know what they say ?!!!!
Will let you know !!
Claire please
by the way our agent thinks this is positive as if we can get the bond we will be fine !!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

eve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to alleve209 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Claire W
Well........I have some progress on the meds front.....it is not straight forward yet though !!
Things have come back o.k but they want a bond putting up for Caleb to cover for any possible meds that may come up. It is a large amount and our agent is approaching my sponsor I think this weekend to see how they feel about it...... I have a horrible feeling it will be too much but will have to wait and see. The thing is Caleb has not had any operations or any medication and as I have said before has 1 check up a year.....so the money should be safe and you do get it back at the end of the term requested.
Anyway needless to say I didn't sleep much last night and prob. wont until we know what they say ?!!!!
Will let you know !!
Claire please
by the way our agent thinks this is positive as if we can get the bond we will be fine !!
I wish they would just give you a break, I hope your sponsor will put the bond up.

Wouldn't private heath cover be suffice? or an assurance of support? I dont understand why its such a big deal, but hey its good news that they have not said no, how long is the bond for?

easy to say but try not to worry too much you are heading in the right direction now.

Eve xx
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Claire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really niceClaire W is just really nice

Jeez..we wish they would give us a break too and just read the info. on Caleb and see what it is saying...but if this is what it takes we will have to try and sort something, after all it is there country.
As you say it is MUCH better than a "no" !!
The bond is the same as an assurance of support and I think will be for the term of the temp. visa,4 years, so quite a while. Although I have requested to see the correspondence from the C/O to see for myself what it says, I havn't got it yet.
My agent said if the sponsor does pull out we will just haveto find us another !! yeh...just like that!! I have to admit though I didn't think he would get me one so easily last time....but he did so I shall have to trust him ! I really want to go ahead with this sponsor though as gut feeling tells me they are good people and that of course is very important when you have to keep with them !
Really hoping to know something by early next week before I go completely crazy
Claire
p.s yes I would have thought private cover would suffice....will suggest if necessary, although I'm sure agent would have thought of that, will see!
Old Aug 17th 2008, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

If you are going for private health I have heard that they charge a lot more for people on temporary 457 visas, maybe email Medibank Private and HCIF just to research. The person I spoke to on another forum was paying almost $2k for them pa (couple with no kids). So its worth finding out.

Also IMHO the southern suburbs of Canberra are more picturesque (mountains etc) than the north BUT have older houses 70's yellow brick houses, which are cold in winter and hot in summer. The quality of housing in Jerrabombera or Gungahlin is higher (though they are more expensive as a result) but it's personal preference, I have lived in the "Deep South" and didn't like it, I found all the flanelette and muffin tops a bit depressing. And to get acreage you have to go out further more like 40 minutes+.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Well looks like bad news once again....seems sponsor has pulled out....not quite over yet. I thought that the bond had to go into an account for the term of the visa but it seems that sponsor just has to prove with an accountants letter that they have the funds "in case". Will get this put to them and see if it makes any difference?
Not holding out too much hope with this now....so need a new sponsor possibly.......anyone know of a caring hairdressing business owner?!!
Claire
Old Aug 24th 2008, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Faircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really nice

Well looks like bad news once again....seems sponsor has pulled out....not quite over yet. I thought that the bond had to go into an account for the term of the visa but it seems that sponsor just has to prove with an accountants letter that they have the funds "in case". Will get this put to them and see if it makes any difference?
Not holding out too much hope with this now....so need a new sponsor possibly.......anyone know of a caring hairdressing business owner?!!
Claire
Hi Claire just read your message today pc has been down cause of re-decorating to get the house on the market! Gutted to hear your news Have you heard anything else?? Or is a def no go again???

Lx
Old Aug 25th 2008, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

This sponsor has pulled out for sure...will be actively looking for a new one.
It is obviously disapointing but will still crack on !!!
Claire
Old Aug 25th 2008, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Claire
Oh Claire, so sorry to hear that he has pulled the plug for sure. All the best with finding another.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
Oh Claire, so sorry to hear that he has pulled the plug for sure. All the best with finding another.
Thanks.....I know a bit gutted to say the least....well I have not heard back so now I am presuming it is def......you can't keep chasing up !!
Lots of people are asking for me...which is lovely as they are just "email" friends....it is sooo nice what they are doing for us !!
So thanks all of you
Claire
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Faircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really nice

Claire
Well at least you can let the sponsor know that there were problems last time round and what they were! keep searching and keep in touch and let us know how things are going I will keep everything crossed for you and that eventually we will hear that you are on your way!

Lynnex
Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by copa
exaclty... fireworks at home in canberra

canberra is a wonderul and beautiful place to live..

heaps to do also.

I like my 15 minute commute in Canberra ... a 1 hour plus each way in sydney gets pretty boring and annoying after a while..

if ysomeone doesn't like the outdoors, art galleries, no traffic, low crime, plentiful public facitilies, low pollution levels, decent schools, day trips to the snow etc.. then maybe canberra wasn't for the person who started this thread..

each to their own i guess..
Hi Coppa,

All jokes aside thinking Canberra is for us. Any advise on good suburbs/bad suburbs? Couple (no kids and no plans for) and 2 (indoor) cats. Like QUIET, and nice restaurants.

Stella
Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bert'n'Stella
Hi Coppa,

All jokes aside thinking Canberra is for us. Any advise on good suburbs/bad suburbs? Couple (no kids and no plans for) and 2 (indoor) cats. Like QUIET, and nice restaurants.

Stella
All depends on your finances - suburbs like Reid, Yarralumla, Forrest are probably the best but you need deep pockets. Basically the inner north and inner south are rapidly becoming gentrified and you can pick up nice places and quite quiet even if they are close to the town centre. You would probably want to avoid the outer suburbs because they do tend to be big houses on small blocks with not much else. All areas have their "do not live near here" places to some extent - eg the very inner flats near Civic and up Northborne Ave and the flats near Manuka shops are pretty rough but just a spit away are flats and apartments costing $1m. If you want a vegie garden then you have to look away from the built up very central areas but the older inner suburbs have been built on good size blocks. We live in Ainslie and it has good facilities within easy distance of Ainslie and Dickson - the houses are very ordinary (unlike the new yuppy architectural renos of Yarralumla for example) but it is quiet and close to virtually anything and we have a big vegie garden.

It all depends on where you will be working too - if you are working down in Tuggeranong then obviously the inner suburbs around Civic are not going to be as convenient.

Avoid at all costs places would be eastern Narrabundah (although it is trying to drag its way up), Charnwood, Richardson.

There are some lovely looking apartments on the lake at Kingston if apartment living is your scene.